Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

OK, how exactly do you pervent someone from stealing your quads off of a flat bed trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, how exactly do you pervent someone from stealing your quads off of a flat bed trailer?

I def need a trailer to tote 4 quads around, and was thinking i'd like to get a ToyHauler as well. But, for those times when I need to use the flat bed trailer, how do I prevent them from getting snatched?
Thanks,
--Rick

Old 07-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default OK, how exactly do you pervent someone from stealing your quads off of a flat bed trailer?

Originally posted by: bananaman
I def need a trailer to tote 4 quads around, and was thinking i'd like to get a ToyHauler as well. But, for those times when I need to use the flat bed trailer, how do I prevent them from getting snatched?Thanks,--Rick
You can't completely stop a thief that wants your toys. Get some insurance coverage and rest easier.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Sound advice, Gary.

Locks on the trailer itself, and cable the quads together and lock them. It will stop the amatuer, but as Gary said, if they want it bad enough, you can consider them gone.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I use the "barbed wire" product by Kryptonite, along with either a U lock, or I have one of their EV disk locks. Like mentioned before, lock the quads together, use a high security pad lock on the trailer's coupler, and don't forget a locking pin in the receiver.

If you use a U lock, make sure it is around something big enough that someone couldn't fit a bottle jack in there.

Though a power grinder with cutoff wheel could defeat this stuff, it hopefully makes my stuff harder to steal than whatever is parked next to me... and failing that, I've got good insurance.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only repeat the same advice as above. I cable mine together and through the trailer. Lock the trailer to the hitch and use a locking hitch pin. This will stop the casual 'spur of the moment' type thief but will do nothing for the pro who really wants the quads. That's where the insurance kicks in.

Jaybee

Old 07-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: JeffinTD
I use the "barbed wire" product by Kryptonite, along with either a U lock, or I have one of their EV disk locks. Like mentioned before, lock the quads together, use a high security pad lock on the trailer's coupler, and don't forget a locking pin in the receiver.

If you use a U lock, make sure it is around something big enough that someone couldn't fit a bottle jack in there.

Though a power grinder with cutoff wheel could defeat this stuff, it hopefully makes my stuff harder to steal than whatever is parked next to me... and failing that, I've got good insurance.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I've got the EXACT same set-up.......including the insurance [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

If I go riding and leave early in the morning I have everything loaded up but back my truck up right against the garage door with my car parked right next to it. If I'm traveling with only a quad in the back I always try to back up against a wall or something so the tailgate can't even be let down.

There are two types of theft, opportunity and planned. Generally if you are traveling and staying overnight somewhere you won't encounter a very well organized theif who could pull off stealing two or three quads, even one for that matter if they are reasonably secured. IF you leave your stuff parked on a trailer in front of your house for days on end, well, thats almost inviting a thief.....if they know it will be there they have time to plan for the crime.

Thiefs like to get in and out as quickly as possible so the more roadblocks you throw in his way the more likely he will give up and move on. I'm looking into a locking tailgate.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Good info on this thread. I was happy with cables, locks and the like but after reading some of this I contacted the company with the talking lizard and got comprihensive and liability insurance for $80.00 a year. The comprihensive is $500.00 deductable so that's about the worst I can get hit and I can live with that a lot easier than a total loss. Still going to use the cables, chains, locks and alarm system tho. All the "tie down" stuff probably cost as much as a years insurance.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

I contacted the company with the talking lizard and got comprihensive and liability insurance for $80.00 a year. >>>>>>

$80 a year for one or two quads? Seems pretty cheap, the dealer where I got my first quad quoted me like $140 for six months, I was like "are you kidding me, my car doesn't cost me that much for basic coverage"

Old 07-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

A locking hitch pin for the reciever has been mentioned a couple of times. I take a grade 8 bolt and tighten it up good and tight then beat the threads over. Takes a torch to get it off but it's nearly impossible to cut with a hacksaw. Too many of the locking pins can be picked and removed.

Quick Reply: OK, how exactly do you pervent someone from stealing your quads off of a flat bed trailer?