Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Enclosed trailers Q.....?????? (Oregon)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enclosed trailers Q.....?????? (Oregon)

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Well then, check out my personal page. What you will find is a Pace American 22 ft v-nose. The basic box is 16 ft, and the V is 3 ft. Mine has extra height and a lot of costly extras that you don't need generally. I have them for a business I run out of the trailer... but you could get by a lot cheaper. I think the base price on this one is around 5K, but with all the custom stuff, it came in for just over 14K.

You should find several manufacturers out there that are comparably priced. PACE, Haulmark, Utility etc. ALL make the same basic trailer for the same price point. If you can live with the wood interior and floor, you should be good to go. I'd still talk to some racers though, you should be able to get a 20 ft care hauler for under 5K used.

It is too bad you are not near Indiana... you could find hundreds of these at dealer cost. that is where a lot of them are made. Mine came from Georgia.. and I'd stay as far away from those good ol boys in Fitzgerald as I could. Lets just say I had "Issues" with the factory guys there. Haulmark was right next door.
Thanks for the input!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2006, 04:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not sure about Oregon, but try looking up Bulldog Trailers in Centralia/Chehalis Wa. That's not to far from Portland.
After lots of research, I bought mine there. I stole an custom ordered 24x8 Interstate sled trailer for $6,000 from them.
I have many friends that have bought from them, most recently my dad. Being an Oregon resident, I don't think you'd have to pay the sales tax either, but check for sure.

good luck in your search

Old 08-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

For all you guys out there thinking a v-nose will magically increase your gas milage etc, you are fooling yourself. I have found that in theory it is a good idea, but in practice, it isn't the answer. ALthough my trailer is much taller than the average one out there, the v-nose is actually causing issues with wind wiggle... especially when passing trucks etc. Also, the v-nose is really dead space if you want to add cabinets etc. It is just an odd shape. You are better served with a flat nose, and use a bubble to drive wind around to the side. Much more usable space inside as well. The ONLY advantage to a v-nose is when you have a drive through front door on it. Otherwise, stick with the square box.

Another thing is the width issue. I have towed 8 ft's 6 fts and 7 ft wides.. and find the 7 ft wide the best compromise. The deal is I can't see around an 8 ft trailer when backing it into a tight area. Plus you have to be really on your game to keep the trailer in the middle of the lane. I can use stock mirrors and see around the 7 ft. The 6 ft is too narrow to haul many of the items I tow..

Old 08-15-2006, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

For all you guys out there thinking a v-nose will magically increase your gas milage etc, you are fooling yourself. I have found that in theory it is a good idea, but in practice, it isn't the answer. ALthough my trailer is much taller than the average one out there, the v-nose is actually causing issues with wind wiggle... especially when passing trucks etc. Also, the v-nose is really dead space if you want to add cabinets etc. It is just an odd shape. You are better served with a flat nose, and use a bubble to drive wind around to the side. Much more usable space inside as well. The ONLY advantage to a v-nose is when you have a drive through front door on it. Otherwise, stick with the square box.

Another thing is the width issue. I have towed 8 ft's 6 fts and 7 ft wides.. and find the 7 ft wide the best compromise. The deal is I can't see around an 8 ft trailer when backing it into a tight area. Plus you have to be really on your game to keep the trailer in the middle of the lane. I can use stock mirrors and see around the 7 ft. The 6 ft is too narrow to haul many of the items I tow..

Sorry man, no disrespect, but I have to disagree with you. I have a 28 foot US Cargo and it pulls great. Short Vnose trailers do tend to wiggle more than a longer one like mine. The wiggle is most likely from loading it wrong, too much weight on the back end or not enough stabilizer applied to the problem. I have cabinets in the front of my trailer, base and upper, and they work great. Helmet locker on top and parts, chairs, supplies, etc. in the base. The problem with your trailer might be that it is only a 3 foot v on it. A 4 foot v works pretty well.

Before I picked a Vnose I talked to the guy locally here that has gone to Indianna to pickup literally hundreds of trailers. He convinced me that the Vnose was better hands down. I would have to agree though that the bubble would definitely help with air flow.

I guess the width is personal preference. The 6 foot wide trailers are roughly the same width as the truck at the wheels. The 7 wide on up is typically the same width at the wheels. 8 1/2 feet. I figure...if the mirrors fit...the trailer fits! And I like the extra room. And don't forget...the longer the trailer...the easier it is to back up.

Happy towing!

Old 08-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Quad4Fun
Not sure about Oregon, but try looking up Bulldog Trailers in Centralia/Chehalis Wa. That's not to far from Portland.
After lots of research, I bought mine there. I stole an custom ordered 24x8 Interstate sled trailer for $6,000 from them.
I have many friends that have bought from them, most recently my dad. Being an Oregon resident, I don't think you'd have to pay the sales tax either, but check for sure.

good luck in your search
I agree, I bought a 6X12 enclosed work trailer from them and couldnt find a cheaper new one anywhere. Good people to deal with.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Quad4Fun

good luck in your search
Thanks! I'll have to check them out! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

And thank-you to everyone else too! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I would prefer the 8' wide version simply because I would like to be able to put two quads side by side, and not have to turn them sideways in order to make them fit!
Ideally, I'd like to have room to fit 4 ATVs, and still have enough room for cabinets, gear, and a small sleeping area. So I figure 20' would be about as short as I'd want to go.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Let me clue you in a bit on 8 ft wide trailers. If you go with a car hauler type, you are going to have wheel wells projecting inside the bed which will cause you problems putting them side by side. One way around that is to get a snomobile style that is called in the trade, a deck-over. That will give you the required 8 ft inside dimension, but at a cost of ceiling height.

Back to the car hauler... You will also find that many do not have enough length between the fender well and the back door, so the point becomes moot. Unless you go to a 26 or longer trailer.. and then the space would be in FRONT of the wheel well, not behind. Make sure you take a tape measure with you and double check everything, otherwise, you will spend a lot of money and be disapointed.
Just about everything you see is going to be a compromise. Just be prepared for it.
Lastly, with longer trailers, the harder to back up and manuver. ANd they require a bigger tow vehicle. Don't always look only at pulling power, you have to consider stopping that beast too. Big trailers can overpower a tow vehicle real fast.. and then you are in real trouble.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:00 AM
Pro Rider

Let me clue you in a bit on 8 ft wide trailers. If you go with a car hauler type, you are going to have wheel wells projecting inside the bed which will cause you problems putting them side by side. One way around that is to get a snomobile style that is called in the trade, a deck-over. That will give you the required 8 ft inside dimension, but at a cost of ceiling height.

Back to the car hauler... You will also find that many do not have enough length between the fender well and the back door, so the point becomes moot. Unless you go to a 26 or longer trailer.. and then the space would be in FRONT of the wheel well, not behind. Make sure you take a tape measure with you and double check everything, otherwise, you will spend a lot of money and be disapointed.
Just about everything you see is going to be a compromise. Just be prepared for it.
Lastly, with longer trailers, the harder to back up and manuver. ANd they require a bigger tow vehicle. Don't always look only at pulling power, you have to consider stopping that beast too. Big trailers can overpower a tow vehicle real fast.. and then you are in real trouble.
A V-nosed snow-mobile trailer is one of the options I have been considering.
I am aware of the wheel-well issue as I have gone to a couple of differen't trailer outfits and looked around. I was not however, aware of the lack of space BEHIND the wheel well. The ATVs are only ~ 6' long, so I thought that there was at least 6' behind the wheel wells of a 20' trailer. Perhaps there isn't. I have never measured the trailers, so I am not sure of the measurements. That is good advice though. I will have to make sure I bring a tape measure along the next time I go look at some!

As far as the towing vehicle is concerned, thanks for the advice on that too. I have been researching tow vehicles here in the forums too. Lots of good info and thoughts were given to me about those too! Seems like when I DO get a tow vehicle, it will probably be at least a 3/4 ton diesel.

Again, great information! Thanks! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Range Rover

Jeff, I just sent you a pm.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

2fun I wish you luck in your quest for a trailer and a tow vehicle. I've gone through a 13 foot open bed, a 13 foot enclosed vnose, a 18 foot flatbed, a 24 foot vnose and now 28 foot vnose loaded with tire rack cabinets, etc. Not to mention an 03 Silverado 1/2 ton, 04 Dodge 2500 Cummins and now an 06 Ford Powerstroke Lariat. I thought I finally had it right and today I decided to sell the big trailer and get a toy hauler with a generator. Some people get it right the first time and some of us never get there!!

Have fun.

Pat

Quick Reply: Enclosed trailers Q.....?????? (Oregon)