Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

American Freedom Toy Haulers

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American Freedom Toy Haulers

I was just at the Sand Show in Ontaria, Ca and saw the American Freedom toy haulers. I like the design, and accessories but I have never heard of them. I can not find any information on the internet. If you own one, I would like to hear your opinion.
Thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a 27' CB (corner bed) back in January and I love it. No major issues with the trailer. I had a couple of small issues like the tank were not reading correctly and the fuel station switch shorted out. The thing I like is that I would call the factory and I could bring it in right away and have it back pretty quick. The thing I hated last time was I had to remove everything from the trailer like pots and pans, propane bottles, batteries, personal stuff that would normaly stay in the trailer. This had to be done because they were having trouble with the trailers being broken into, I do not know if this has been resolved because the last time my trailer was there was in May.

If you do a search on here for American Freedom trailers you will find a couple of post that have been done. The main reason we bought our was because it was our first toy hauler and we did not want to spend a lot of money. They do not look as "classy" as WW on the inside but when you compare my trailer with my father inlaws (who has a 26' WW) my floor plan is a lot more open. When you go into his trailer it feels a lot smaller, plus I have heard it takes awhile to get warranty work done on WW. I can not base that on anything other than what I have heard.

But dont get me wrong I do like the WW but if price is what you are making your decision on go with American Freedom. If you want something that looks better on the inside (my favorite Billet Edition from WW) go with WW. But again that is just my opinion. If you have anymore questions I will try to help out as much as I can.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

First time on this thread. Just happened to find the site when I googled American Freedom. Now that you've had your haulers for a while, are you still happy with them? We looked at Go Anywhere last year, it's in our neighborhood here in Murrieta. Seemed to have awesome pricing. I agree, their interior is nothing to write home about. We're just interested in the manufacturing. You guys have any additional feedback?

Old 06-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

kickinkatin- did you end up buying an American Freedom? If so, how do you like it? Any probs? Would you recommend it? My husband and I are buying our first trailer and are interested in the AF but have a few concerns, so would appreciate any info.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey there, I noticed you have an American Freedom hauler and like it. My husband and I have been considering the AF trailer. It seems people have pretty positive experiences, except for minor probs, which I think you get with any manufacturer, it seems like a good trailer. The major prob I have with this is the 1yr. warranty. Why don't they offer a longer warranty (like every other trailer we've looked at)? I did read a horror story on another thread from a very disgruntled customer (with good reason it seems). She has had nothing but probs. I know theres always a chance of buying a lemon, with any purchase. Do you think thats what happened here? I"m hesitant but really like the trailer for many reasons: the look, the floorplan, and the price! This is our first hauler and would really appreciate any info you can share. Let me know what you think?!!

Old 08-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've been researching a car carrier for my race car (a different type of 'toy' hauler - just a cargo trailer, no beds, sinks, etc.) and came upon all of the threads here on American Freedom, as well as a few other places. I was leaning toward Interstate trailers because of their lifetime warranty on the roof (1 year on everything else). However, I ran into some issues concerning weight - they were 3000lbs curb weight, and I'd rather not carry the weight if I didn't have to. Featherlite aluminum enclosed 20' trailers are great, but HUGE money.

I came across American Freedom, did my own research, and spent a good amount of time on the phone with several of them - David (the owner?) and George. I quizzed David hard on a number of things, and primary among them had to do with weight - a 20' American Freedom trailer is 2300 lbs, while everybody else with a similar size, non aluminum trailer is around 3000lbs, or more for 'deluxe' versions. That's a significant difference, and I needed to know why, as I don't want something flimsy. The answer is actually pretty simple, and while AF might not know it, it's the same strategy Featherlite uses. Essentially, most of these other affordable trailers (Carson, Interstate, etc) put 5/16" wood paneling over the metal framework, then aluminum skin over the wood. AF puts the aluminum sheeting (16 gauge) right on the metal framework (with 3M aerospace tape). In addition, the interior is not floor to ceiling wood walls - just 4ft high. This is the reason for the weight savings, and something I can not only live with, but appreciate.

One potential issue with no wood walls on the exterior is damage to the aluminum - anything will dent that sucker easily - even just leaning on it with some force. Simple solution, and what I imagine is very effective - 2" hard insulation foam from any hardware store - it fits right between the metal framework (which are 2" X 5"), and backs up to the aluminum, supporting it with some strength (granted, not as much as wood, but 700lbs less!) and insulating it, just like an insulated garage door.

I ordered one yesterday morning, with a beavertail so it's easy to get my car in, and plan to stop by Home Depot right away to get that foam insulation on. I'm a bit scared that I didn't see one myself first, but it's affordable and the ONLY one that is light enough for me to be excited about without spending 15k.

I'll post my review here in a few weeks when I get it, even though it's not a 'toy hauler', if you don't mind.

By the way, I can see how David would be the type to say 'come on, you get what you pay for, deal with it!', but then again I think that most of the time they address the problems right away. What scares me a bit more is how many times it appears that company had to change their name to avoid trouble...oh well...I'm a risky guy, after all, I race a car on a track, right?

Old 10-04-2007, 01:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey bud i have a af toyhailer the trailer is ok for the money but you can spend a little more and get alot more
doug who used to work thier was the best thing since popcron
does not work thier any more
they have a new guy named jonny he seems to be ok
but the owner dave is a *****
and just so you know my toybox has been thier for like 3 weeks having work done to it and the first week someone broke into it
and as of today i just found out it got stolen and they are not taking the blame for it
and keep it in mind they left it outside in the parking lot

Old 10-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey dude they have had mine for like three weeks {now i did tell them to take thier time butt } well after about to weeks they called me to tell me that it had got broke into and now they just called me to tell me it got stolen
they think it happened no saterday night because they left it out in there open lot over the weekend but they didnt notice it till three or four days later

Old 10-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey bud i have had no major problems and if it was all about money you cant beat thier price but if your taking women keep in mind no cabnets and no mirrors i have had meny trailers and they have all had meny mirrors lol
and dont leave it at the factory they have broke in to in about too weeks ago and now they stole it and dave who i think is the owner is not wanting to take the blame ...

Old 10-31-2021, 05:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Looking for a Manual

Originally Posted by sandfamily5
I was just at the Sand Show in Ontaria, Ca and saw the American Freedom toy haulers. I like the design, and accessories but I have never heard of them. I can not find any information on the internet. If you own one, I would like to hear your opinion.
Thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I just bought a 2005 American Freedom Toy hauler. Does anyone have a manual? I have been looking but cannot find it.

Quick Reply: American Freedom Toy Haulers