Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Update. How My Homemade Enclosed Trailer Pulls!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update. How My Homemade Enclosed Trailer Pulls!!!!!!!!!

Hello,

For everyone wanting an update on how my homemade enclosed trailer pulls, It pulls perfect. It tracks nice and straight and has absolutely no wander, wabling or shaking. I had it up to 70mph and it did great. I normally pull at 65mph.

The second most asked question: I have right at $2,000 in the whole thing, including the trailer, which is new.

With my atv in it, the total weight of the trailer and cargo is just under 3,000 lbs. I have adjusted the load so that I have a 450 lbs. toungue weight.

I have a straight 2" tounge with a ball height of 21". I will get a lowered tounge and ball to put the top of the ball at 19". This will straighten the trailer out front to back a little better so the front is not angled up so much.

Thanks to everyone who gave some input. I valued all of it.

For more detailed pics of the trailer, inside and construction:
Check the link in my signiture.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

lol i was gonna say, usually trailers are never stable at high speeds with an angle up tongue. then looking at your photo's i realized you pull with an excursion, so that kind of fixes the problem, tongue should be if anything angled downward will make it track even better. never should have it in the air, allways aimed down.

my friend and me pulled a 36 foot TT with a e250 with no weight distro or sw control. pic below, that rig ran fine right up to 75mph,(no need to go any faster)

click for big trailer

reason being heavy tongue weight and a downward angle on the trailer. that trailer towed perfectly too

case in point
Clicky for picture

my vehicle is in the front, now notice the trailer tongue down slightly, that trailer is one of the most stable i have ever towed. and i will simply say this and not starting a war with anyone on this as it was a very stupid thing to do. i have had that rig over 105mph with 0 problems other then liquefying the bearing grease in the trailer.

its all about loading and leveling a trailer to make it stable. this image of perfectly straight leveling towing is way to emphasized i have always had much better towing combo with a heavy nose and slight tilt

Old 04-19-2007, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: LittleBill
lol i was gonna say, usually trailers are never stable at high speeds with an angle up tongue. then looking at your photo's i realized you pull with an excursion, so that kind of fixes the problem, tongue should be if anything angled downward will make it track even better. never should have it in the air, allways aimed down.

my friend and me pulled a 36 foot TT with a e250 with no weight distro or sw control. pic below, that rig ran fine right up to 75mph,(no need to go any faster)

click for big trailer

reason being heavy tongue weight and a downward angle on the trailer. that trailer towed perfectly too

case in point
Clicky for picture

my vehicle is in the front, now notice the trailer tongue down slightly, that trailer is one of the most stable i have ever towed. and i will simply say this and not starting a war with anyone on this as it was a very stupid thing to do. i have had that rig over 105mph with 0 problems other then liquefying the bearing grease in the trailer.

its all about loading and leveling a trailer to make it stable. this image of perfectly straight leveling towing is way to emphasized i have always had much better towing combo with a heavy nose and slight tilt
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. The Excursion weighs 8000 lbs and the trailer is 3000 lbs. Hopefully, the X will keep that trailer in line.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:03 AM
Pro Rider

yea no problem at least you kept an open mind. over on rv.net i prolly would get screamed at for 3 pages. but try it at a lower angle even for just s**ts and giggles, you'd be surprised the difference. i can actually feel the difference when the quad rolls back on my little trailer, it starts wanting to walk around. good luck with it