ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/trailers-toy-haulers-motorhomes/)
-   -   In the market for a trailer (https://atvconnection.com/forums/trailers-toy-haulers-motorhomes/282617-market-trailer.html)

Higgy 02-04-2008 11:54 PM

In the market for a trailer

Okay, I am starting to get fed up with loading 2 quads in one truck, even though it is possible and looks really cool, it seems to be putting a beating on my body, and with 2 bikes in there, it doesnt leave much room for anything else big to fit back there.
I want something I can fit 2 quads onto easily, and maybe another quad or a dirtbike, if the situation ever presents itself!
I would also mount a toolbox all the way up front.
It doesn't have to be enclosed and a single axle is fine, unless I can find a tandem at a good price. I would like for it to be loaded from the sides, and can make my own ramps if need be.
What size would I need, and what floor material is the best, (wood, metal, mesh)?
My plan is to pick up something used and to put some money into it to make it last, but I need some opions on size, styles, and functionality.
Thanks in advance for any input!

JeffinTD 02-05-2008 12:14 AM

I really like the side loading Ziemans. There's a photo of one in my gallery.

They side load, with 4 ramps that slide in to tuck under the trailer. It comes with a steel box on the front, along with a rack for gas cans.

The only draw back is that it is steel, but I see you've got a 7.3 powerstroke, so the weight shouldn't be an issue.

If you go tent camping, you might also want to kick around a Jumping Jack trailer.

20045SP500HO 02-05-2008 08:28 AM

Look hard at the tandem ... they pull much better. Like most people at some time you will need the extra carrying cap. Also get brakes, you will never again pull without them.

deanz400 02-05-2008 09:10 AM

I've got 2 trailers can carry many ways ,1 to 4 atvs depending on what i need to carry

scootergptx 02-05-2008 09:13 AM

When I got the second quad, I went to a guy that made trailers. Got a flat bed, single axle 5x10. Just big enough to pull one across the front, and pull the other straight in from the back. Cost me 400 bucks. Only bad thing about it was he didn't put on new tires. But from the prices I've seen on other trailers, new tires wasn't that big a deal.

Higgy 02-06-2008 06:44 PM

Thanks for all the ideas so far! I have heard that a tandem pulls better, so i definetly will check that out. About the brakes, what do I need to do to my truck? Just buy the modulator and run the wiring? Anyone know of any good kits? And, what is the maintenance like on the actual brakes? How long do they last? Expensive?

Also jeffinTD's idea of the jumping jack trailer really got our attention. But, I cant find a dealer within the 8 closest states to us. Must be a west coast thing.

And jeffinTD, do you know the empty weight of your steel trailer, dont think it would be a problem for my truck, just want to compare the weights trailers made of different materials.

JeffinTD 02-06-2008 07:26 PM

Yeah I think Jumping Jacks are out west. I've seen a few at RV shows, and there's one used for sale by the host camp at a local RV/ATV riding area.

I think the Zieman F-812sl weighs a bit over 1200 pounds. This one, like most in this weight range, doesn't have brakes, but I would imagine it could be ordered with them. Towing with a large pickup, you know it is back there when you stop. I don't consider the stopping distance unreasonable, but I would prefer it to have brakes. Occasionally you see these used in classifieds, for way less than a new one. I think they also make an F-816sl with tandem axles.

It would be possible to upgrade the trailer, but it is legal as it is. If I weren't towing it with a large vehicle, for sure I'd put brakes on it.

If your truck has a trailer tow package, then it probably has a socket under the dash to which a brake controller attaches, and in the back it would have a 7 rectangle pin socket that provides lighting, battery charging, and braking functions (when a brake controller is installed) to the trailer.

If it does not have the tow package, there are kits with the necessary wiring, fuses, sockets, and directions. etrailer.com or etrailerpart.com would carry that stuff.

Trailer brakes in that size axle would not self-adjust, but it is not difficult to do and only needs done every few thousand miles. For most people's use the brakes on a trailer will last nearly a lifetime, if not abused or misadjusted. Dexter and Al-Ko both have good on-line service manuals for their axles and brakes. Both recommend inspection/bearing repack pretty frequently. To me after the initial break-in, adjusting every year and repacking every two would probably prevent you from being stranded along side the road.

Also, there is a big difference in controllers. If all you are going to tow is a small ATV trailer, something like Technocia's Prodegy would probably be a reasonable choice, cost vs performance wise.

sjbr549 02-06-2008 07:58 PM

i got a 5x10 wood floor trailer. i got it from tractor supply for around $800 lowe's has something similar to it. i pull it with a 2.3l ranger with no problem. i've had about 2000lbs of wood on it one time had no problem stopping it it did take abit to get it going though.you should'nt need trailer brakes under 3000-2500lbs.

JeffinTD 02-06-2008 08:17 PM

Yeah, I'd agree... Three big quads and about 1200 pounds of trailer you don't really need brakes with a large tow vehicle, but it is in that range where it might be nice to have.

sjbr549 02-06-2008 09:14 PM

my 5x10 weighs about 400lbs empty a 6x12 should be in the 500to700lb range. i agree it's getting in the range of needing brakes with three big bore quads.it's one of those dam if you do dam if you don't deals.