Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Different type toy hauler

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Different type toy hauler

My biggest concern wth this type of setup is the amount of tongue weight once you load your quads up. Any idea what your tongue weight is fully loaded???

Old 04-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been meaning to check this out but have not wieghed it yet. My quads together wiegh almost 1600 lbs. Hooked up to my 2500 I use the third link on my WD bars and the rear of the truck which sits a little higher than the front drops down to level. The whole unit rides level with no sag. I can tell you there is no tail wag, the extra wieght up front makes for a steady pull. I've had it in 50 mph winds crossing the mountains with no sway so that's kinda nice. I also make sure all my cargo is loaded behind the trailer wheels to add some balence, and if it was an issue I could fill the 50 gal fresh water tank which is behind the rear wheels to take some wieght off the front.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure with your 3/4 ton your probably OK despite the heavy tongue weight I know these thngs must have. My concern is with the 1/2 ton crowd buying these things thinking they are a light weight alternative to a traditional toy hauler setup. THe manufacturers and salesmen of these things are simply pulling the whool over their eyes.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

its a chevy/gm i hope it pulls good LOL im a big chevy/gm fan p.s nice trailer i might get me one

Old 04-15-2008, 02:08 AM
Trailblazer

I've seen pics of these but really don't understand the design of putting all that weight up front. I'm sure there is a good reason I just haven't figured it out yet.

I have a 23' 5th wheel and considered trading it for a unit with a garage or just adding a hitch to the back of the 5th wheel and then pulling the utility trailer behind it.
Anyone go this route?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Most 1/2 ton trucks nowadays won't have any problem towing this size of trailer. You want to keep the max weight rating {gvwr} under 8000lbs and you will be just fine. I would recommend useing a weight distributing hitch thoe as It will make the trailer pull better and the truck ride better as well!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

Most 1/2 ton truch nowadays wont have any problem towing this size of trailer. You want to keep the max weight rating {gvwr} under 800lbs and you will be just fine. I would recommend useing a weight distributing hitch thoe as It will make the trailer pull better and the truck ride better as well!</end quote></div>

I just towed mine home on sunday (empty). No problems with my 2003 Ram 1500 Quad cab 4.7. (This is with a programmer, dual exhaust and a K&N cold air intake, but it also has 35" tires with 3.91 gears. This has virtually no tongue weight empty. I had to be careful taking off from stops not to spin the tires. but it still pulled great. I don't see any problems pulling it with 2 sportsmans on it. This was my first trailer with brakes. (That is definately nice) We can't wait for the snow to melt in MN so we can actually go camping!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Your 4.7 shouldent have any troubles w/ this kinda trailer until you start pulling realy steep passes like the one we have in here in CO. Personally I am waiting till 2010 for the new 5.6 Cummins V8 in a half ton truck, then I'll need to change my user name to CUMMINS56DODGE lol.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah I have taken it to colorado pulling a smaller trailer and it had to really work to get up some of those mountains. But I know that my next truck won't be a diesel! With diesel prices what they are and the horsepower that they are getting out of the 2009 Hemi I would stay with a gas. Several of my buddies have diesels, some dodges and some fords and for the extra cost of the truck and the fuel, you can drive the gas truck for a long time before you ever see any benefits of the increased fuel mileage. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

If you don't like having the quads transported where you're going to sleep, you need to have them up front like mine, or go to a longer trailer with garage.
I don't need more trailer, it's just my wife and me and sometimes a couple grandkids. Having the wieght over the front, if your truck can handle it, is WAY better than having it in the rear. I have pulled mine through the mountians in 50 + mph winds with no trailer sway, you won't do that with a longer trailer and lighter tounge wieght. I have several thousand miles with this unit and love the way it pulls.
As far as going a 5th wheel and utility trailer, that would be a PITA for me. The only other option I would chose is an aluminum flat bed truck to hold the quads and pull a trailer behind. With that set up you could leave the trailer and still haul the quads to the staging area. Before you go pulling two trailers I would sure give it a try, backing up is crazy, you almost have to unhook one before backing. Fueling is even more fun, plan on using only truck stops. JMHO

Quick Reply: Different type toy hauler