Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Integrated tiedowns

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integrated tiedowns

After a few time tying down the 500 on the trailer I got to thinking if there was good way to integrate the tiedowns into the trailer with chains or better yet cables. Anyone try this? I was thinking if I left them a little slack they would still be safe (ATV could not come off) but if the ute shifted on the trailer one would be really tight and the other would be loose. That got me thinking of trying to put in a spring system and then I though it would just be easier to use the tie down straps that Im using now.
Anyone try integrated tie downs?

Old 03-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

that's a bad idea. not the intergrated tie downs but the leaving slack. reason being is load shift could cause you to lose control and crash.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use chains and turnbuckles attached low on the ATV's. Easy to hook up and disconnect and they always stay put. Tried for some shots of the setup in my pics.

Jaybee

Old 03-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

jaybeecon55,

that is exactly what I was thinking of. Good call with the turnbuckles. I was wondering how to take the slack out of the chain once I got it hooked up.

Im going to give that a try this weekend.

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2008, 02:22 AM
Trailblazer

I just purchased the Fulton Atv Lock and Hold Down but haven't installed it yet. Its similar to your turnbuckles.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

I looked at a few of the systems like the one above. They're nice and will work well. My biggest thing was that I was needing to tie down 5 ATV's - looking at a cost of $150 per ATV made for a number that I just couldn't handle. I've got about $150 total invested in turnbuckles, chains and hooks for all the bikes.

Jaybee

Old 03-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Trailblazer

That's cool. Like a "club" for your atv. Like jaybeecon55 said, excellent idea, but for $150 bucks I think I can come up with something just as good.

Thanks for the idea though.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer

For sure you can make them yourselves for cheaper, I'm just lazy and have more renos to do.

I bought the cinchtite 6000 series and they work good, just wanted something that is faster.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:05 AM
Trailblazer

Jaybee, how are you hooking the chain to the ATV ? Great idea by the way.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 22Hornet

Jaybee, how are you hooking the chain to the ATV ? Great idea by the way.</end quote></div>

It varies by the ATV - I keep a selection of short (2' to 4') chains with fairly large hooks on the ends. On most of the bikes the hooks can hook on to a part of the tubular frame. On my Outlander, I hook to the lower A-arm where it joins the frame. I had to bolt a single chain link to the back frame of our LT80, as there was nowhere to hook except looping it around the axle. On the back, most of the turnbuckles hook onto the bracket for the trailer hitch. Once I figured out what each ATV needed then I used some colored electrical tape to color code each chain or hook combination so it would be easy to find.

I found that it works best to use a chain on the front then pull it tight with a turnbuckle on the rear.

Jaybee

Quick Reply: Integrated tiedowns