Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

5x10 trailer Have to haul 2 atv's

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5x10 trailer Have to haul 2 atv's

Before anyone says to get a bigger trailer, I have to tell you that I have to store the trailer inside a garage that has a 7ft door. I live North of Chicago and the garage access is the back alley. I have to use the quad to get it in because its two tight for my truck. Now the problem.....

The trailer has 18in side rails on it. Was wondering if anyone has hauled two quads on top of something like this. The overall height of the quads will be approaching 7-8ft after I build a deck for them on top of the side rails. The trailer is all steel and very heavy, the side rails are welded and permanent. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I made to basicaly ramps that sit on front allowing one quad to sitsidways up front and the second sitting on the trailer facing backwards, kinda like a T shape.

Since then I bought a trailer that does this exact same thing it is only '62 wide and 12 ft long fitting inside a standard garage loaded with quads!

Ill try and post some pics tonight after work!

Old 12-17-2008, 08:08 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

I modified a 5 x 8 utility trailer to haul two ATVs. Pictures can be seen here. I took apart a pair of aluminum ATV loading ramps and bolted them to the trailer for a platform, then added a length of 4x4 on each side to act as a wheel stop. Eye bolts were added at strategic places for tie-town fastening points. ATVs are driven on / off of the trailer over an aluminum tri-fold loading ramp which is placed on the side rails (4x4s). After loading the tri-fold ramp is stored on the trailer floor below the ATVs.

This setup works well, even with two full size utility ATVs...

Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice trailer 2TV. I thought about building a deck on top of mine like that except using 2x4s or 2x6s where you used the ramps. I had the plans drawn up and figured out all the materials I needed but I was back down to one ATV before I could build it.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:44 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

Building a deck with wood would certainly be a less costly approach, those ramps (got them at Cabela's) were a bit on the pricy side. I added a few more pics to illusrate how it's used...

Old 12-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Here is the pics I prommised.

This is the one I built simmaler to what 2TV did.

This is the new one I bought and is so much easy'r to use than the old setup! I actualy like it so much I just got it back from having the whole thing Linx'd (Rino Lined but better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] just to keep the rust down as the floor is all metal )

Either way they both should work for you!

P.S. I bult my ramps for $120.00 but they are heavy and over kill [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I could park the H on them and they would hold just fine LOL

Old 12-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Before I bought the toy hauler, I had a 5x10 trailer. Had it made, and left off the rails so it was just flat. Two fit fine on it, and it made quit a few trips and never gave me any problems.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the photos, probably will do something like Dodge since I have the room to pull one in straight. I was going to do wood until I saw the pics with steel. I like the stops at the end of 2tv. Will do that for sure, mostly because my side rails are 6-8 inches higher than yours, and I don't want to die loading the atv. Thanks again.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Hmmm and you can't find a snowmobile trailer used in the area?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my friends welded a 2" reciever on the back of his trailer and plugged a hitch hauler into it. It's not big enough to put a whole ATV on but when they're loaded sideways it will hold one side on an ATV. That's how you fit 3 on a 10' long trailer.

Quick Reply: 5x10 trailer Have to haul 2 atv's