Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Trailer decision. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer decision. Need help

Does that side ramp stay folded down at the top when the trailer is being towed? That might be something that would catch tree limbs, etc. Other than that it looks like a nice trailer. Paiute Trailers makes some good quality trailers.

DV

Old 12-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice looking.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah that side goes down, I dont know why they put a pic up with it sticking out like that. I am going to pass on it though. The local dealer wants 3100 for it. I beleive I am going to go with a 7x20 pj trailer with front rails that become ramps to put one in sideways without muscling. It has a ramp gate on the back with spring assist. I could get a paiute model for a couple hundred less but the quality between the two is night and day. This is the base trailer without the options I will get. The dealer wants 2450 plus tax. Pretty good starting price!

http://www.pj-trailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=U8

Old 12-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

I am not going with the 8 foot over the axle trailer because of weight. For a 8x18 paiute with 14" tires to get the load range up, the dealer wants 2900. I only wanted to spend around 2500.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

I got the PJ a few weeks ago and am very happy with it. I was very concerned about going w/o 15" wheels. I was very happy with the price on this size. I could have gotten a 5x8 Longhorn or Big Tex for as much w/o the options for as much as I got this 77"x14'. $ 1,238.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2008, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well it looks good if you can get all your machines on it. Recently I have been facing the same dilemma with wanting a new trailer. I have a 8x10 snowmobile trailer that if I put my 3 machines on it just right, I can get them on it. One sideways, and two side by side. The problem is muscling the one around is hard for these old bones, and loading from the side is not something I relish. I rolled my Rubicon this spring when it slipped off the ramps so I don't like to do it any more. I agree with you on teh small wheels. I used ot pull a trailer all over the midwest with them when I was young, and know first hand what it is like to have one blow out at 60 MPH going downhill. Not fun.
Recently, I have been looking at a couple sure-tracs. One a 8.5x20 deckover, and the other a 20 ft car hauler. I think I am going to get the car hauler for a couple of reasons. 1) I usually pull 3 machines. So I can load them from teh read nose to tail with zero problems. 2) When I do go with more machines, I can get 5 on it loading sideways. 3) I can haul the occasional car. (My son is a mechanic and is always borrowing friends trailers to haul a junk car home and is running out of friends) 4) the car hauler is lower to the ground than the deckover so it is easier to climb up on. When you get to be my age, that is an important consideration. The deckover will haul 6 machines, but I can't remember when the last time was when I even hauled 4, let alone 5 or 6. I figure 4 is about all I will be faced with if my older son wants to tag along.
I have seen some side load trailers that hold 4 machines for under 2500 with the side ramps built in, but they are out east... I think the company is called diamond C

Old 01-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

Just reading through this topic and thought I might offer the solution I made. I have four 4 wheelers to haul when the whole family goes riding, with my 16X8 trialer I had to muscle two of the 4 wheelers with a jack, it was kinda of tuff for me but worked OK. I pondered on an ideal for a couple months and finally decided to build a solution. I built a 12 1/2 ft by 101 inch deck over the rails of my trailer and can now load all four side by side using alium ramps. My wife tows this rig with a Yukon, no problems at all. I bolted the deck to the top rails in four places, we've used this on about five trips with no problems at all. We ride at Mud Creek Texas a lot and I always have someone asking to see the trailer. I used 12 ga square tubing for the frame and 2 in angle with expanded metal for the deck. I now plan on attacking a foulding ramp to the rear.
I am really happy with the set up and it has worked really well for me. If anyone reads this I will be happy to attempt pictures and answer any questions. I actually got the ideal from a similar rack built for pick up beds.

Anyway hope this helps. Doug

Old 01-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I am leaning towards a 20 ft car hauler at this time. I can get 5 on it sidwways, 3 on it in line. My son is always having to borrow a trailer from friends to haul cars around, I thought I could kill tow birds with one stone. Anyone have any issue swith car haulers? I am concerned about clearance with the drop deck.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah that will be the only concern with the car hauler. The deck height. But I bet it would work out. You might just have to park a little further out.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

i built my own its 8x12.5 amd it has those short but wide , i believe there 10-20 tires on a tandem axles, i can load 3 750's on it from the side the tires set up underneath the deck so there are no fenders , my son hauled 3 from dallas tx to colo this summer at 70 with no problems

Quick Reply: Trailer decision. Need help