Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

How do you tie down you ATV

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should clarify, Jumbofrank is right, if you don't compress the suspension it will likely loosen up. If you have ever had a dirtbike you will understand. You have to push down the front end, compressing the suspension, while tightening the strap. I don't worry about it for short trips. My popo fits so tight in my little trailer that I only set the brake and leave it in park. There's no where for it to go. Short trips I will throw a couple of straps on it. Long trips or using my flatbed trailer is another story, I strap it down tight on all fours and my wife compresses the suspension....Oops....LOL....good thing she doesn't read this!!! LOL!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

Originally Posted by firehog
I strap it down tight on all fours and my wife compresses the suspension....Oops....LOL....good thing she doesn't read this!!! LOL!

You can save your quad AND save your marriage by strapping it down from the frame.

I strap down low with chains and turnbuckles - closeups in my pics section. I used to strap it tight from the racks but had too many times where an errant bounce could cause a strap to come off - even if the suspension was compressed a lot. Now maybe if I always had my sister-in-law around to help then I could always be certain that the suspension was 100% bottomed out.

Jaybee

Old 04-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a Louisiana Guard Dog to keep my Sportsman 800 in one place in the back of my pickup. I would say that the system is at least as strong as any combination of ratchet straps and is supposed to be much quicker. I haven't gotten the chance to use it yet, but I only ratchet strapped my ATV down a couple of times, and frankly I found it to be a bit of a pain and messy. With the LA Guard Dog, you simply hook it up to the hitch of the truck and then hook it up to the ball on your ATV hitch. Both items are attached to the frame of each vehicle which is the strongest point. And that way I don't have to bungy my loading ramps in place as the device keeps the ramps from sliding out. I'll definitely post when I use the Guard Dog for the first time, but if it works half as well as people say it does, then it will be well worth the money (Only about $170).

Old 04-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

I have sport quads so it may be different but I use 4 tie downs and I criss cross the 2 in the front and the 2 in the back that way they are pulling opposite directions. I have done soem crazy off roading with the strapped down and never had an issue.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

Originally Posted by Lt CHEG
(Only about $170).
Not bad for one quad but I frequently load 4 to 6 ($680 to $1,020). So I had to find a cheaper solution. Plus, I'll load the trailer with ATV's in different places depending on the number of ATV's on board. I put in multiple tie-downs and bought a selection of turnbuckles, chains and hooks - cost around $120 to $150 for everything.

Other than the cost the LGD looks like one of the best and easiest ways to hold your quad to the trailer.

Jaybee

Old 04-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking about getting the Fulton ATV Lock and Hold Down System. It adjusts and locks like The Club for a steering wheel does. http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...e=&skuId=40545

Old 04-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

I roll up a magazine, smack it against the palm of my hand then tell them to sit and stay.

I load them sideways on my trailer than strap them one to the front and one to the back directly to the frame, so that i dont compress my suspension.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Range Rover

I like to strap mine down around the tires, that way the suspension can move as it should, kind of like a car gets straped to a trailer or dolly and these would be better than what I do;

http://www.bulldogatv.com/index.php?...mart&Itemid=69

Old 04-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

when i first got my 08 500ho i put a rachet stap though my wheeles/rims. ill never do that again. it left strap marks on the alum rims. it was faint. but that was only a 30mile trailer ride. i still never do that again. i now take 2 straps. one on each corner of the back of the trailer hooked to each side of the the rear reciver hitch on the safty hooks. and the front i used the winch and hooked it to one of the hooks on the trailer. i dont tie it so tight it cant move. if the trailer goes it wont matter if the cables are tight or not. iv never had a problem. iv also got 4 new rachet straps. but then i only go on short trips. when i go on longer trip. like the one i plan to take in mid may. i will tie down all 4 corners. use the front tow hook on the wheeler and the rear safty hooks to tie it down along with the winch. dont think it would go anywhere.

id never tie it to the racks. there only plastic, and can easly brake if the wheeler is bounceing. i dont have no proof to back that up. but it is only plastic, and there isent much of support in the racks.

when i loaded my old wheeler in the back of my truck i had a hoock mounted in the truck box behind the cab. id back my wheeler in. pin the atv hitch to the truck box hoock, and used 2 straps to tie it down. if the truck was gona roll so was the wheeler with the truck.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Just FYI, federal DOT law states anything with wheels has to be secured at 4 points. 4 points to the trailer, meaning it can be done with 2 straps looped through with the hooks going to the frame.