Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Experience with ramps

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been doing this for over 35 years (3 wheelers, snomobiles, dirt bikes etc before quads), and I have loaded everything every which way you can think. And I'll be the first to tell you that I am a safety freak. So I can speak with experience. A trailer is MUCH safer than a pickup. I am living proof of that. I have dropped a quad off ramps when the grass was wet, and ]slick tires spun and it slid sideways and rolled it right off the side. I blew a knee (ACL) pushing a lightweight dirt bike into a pickup too, and spend several YEARS getting that fixed and learning how to walk again. (7 surgeries to fix a botched first attempt) I have seen guys gun a sport quad into the truck only to slam into the back window and shatter it. Or have a machine slide forward with the same result if the truck has to stop quickly.
Trailers are the way to go.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the trailer

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice regarding this topic. After shopping around a bit I decided to get a 6' x 12' flatbed trailer. I found one here in San Jose at a local truck/trailer center for a good price. Problem solved.

Now I can haul 2 ATV's or an ATV and a couple dirtbikes without the "excitement" of driving up ramps into the back of my truck. When you stop to consider I have no experience with a motorcycle clutch, negotiating ramps is sure to be dicey. I will turn 50 this year, and everything still works fine - I'd like to keep it that way as long as I can.

Thanks again for your inputs.

Doug

Old 09-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperDutyDoug
I will turn 50 this year, and everything still works fine - I'd like to keep it that way as long as I can.

Thanks again for your inputs.

Doug
After hurting my knees and back I agree with you. Have fun.