Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Toyhauler weight and storage

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this beauty, our last trailer. All tongue weight

Attached Thumbnails Toyhauler weight and storage-tn_img_3506resize.jpg  
Old 06-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry, , i'm trying to keep a straight face while typing. that looks like you cut it off of a boat and put axles under it. like from the movie set of Jaws........
but yeah, i see the tongue weight! holy moses!!!!
i guess a sand rail or a jeep would be enough counterweight to off set the tongue for you on that one..........

Old 06-23-2011, 08:22 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Hillbillies

Originally Posted by mystereid
Try this beauty, our last trailer. All tongue weight
Gotta Love Hillbillies!!

A jeep, sandrail, or an army tank may counter that weight!!

This is our camper at Martinsville a couple years ago...please disregard the case of beer siiting outside and the bag of empties hanging there if it offends you! (My wife is a lush!)

Old 06-24-2011, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider

Mudslinger, how are you including pictures? I only seem to be able to post attachments? I've always wanted to try a hard shell pop-up trailer and see if I could build a rack over the top to haul quads. Tent fabric doesn't do to well in the desert where I camp.
Jaster, That there was the O-riginal toyhauler factory made by Spartan in 1970. Believed to be one of 3 made. People either loved it or laughed. Had a picture of a Kangaroo and joey in the pouch on the front and back and was called a Trans-por-teer. The previous owner carried a *****'s flat fender and we a Manx buggy with the engine hanging off the rear. It's got a 13' trailer in front plus the overhanging bed. Great for two but tight confines for a family of four. Driving down the road passing a clear-cut wind gusts would hit the front sideways and twist your stomach to knots. Interestingly at the height of the toyhauler craze I saw similar models were being made again with either front or rear cargo decks.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:44 AM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Pics

Originally Posted by mystereid
Mudslinger, how are you including pictures? I only seem to be able to post attachments? I've always wanted to try a hard shell pop-up trailer and see if I could build a rack over the top to haul quads. Tent fabric doesn't do to well in the desert where I camp.
You have to get your picture uploaded into something online (I use my wife's facebook), then pull the picture up into slideshow format and right click on it, go down to properties, and copy the URL when the properties box pops up. When back in your post, click on the button to insert image, another window will pop up, clear it out and paste the url into that box.

That is a 1964 skamper-original canvas-my wife's grandmother used it to camp all over the US, then it was passed down and passed down, and now we use it to follow a couple races during the year. The roof is painted a checkered flag design as well as the floor is stick down tiled checkered. It is been through a hail storm at some point (closed thank goodness).

I saw a guy this year with a 16-18 foot trailer with a popup sitting sideway across it (no axle). The guy set the camper right across the dual axles of the trailer, then parked a four wheeler sideways in front and sideways in back on the trailer! Best part was when he opened it up, he had to cover the entire thing with a tarp! He had a good idea and design, but I would have started with something that I did not have to cover with a tarp!

Post up some more pics of your toyhauler and all the steel welded underneath if you can follow my directions (they are probably as clear as mud)!
Mudslinger2

Old 06-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wow, i didn't know about the spartans. toyhaulers have come a long way since then. you have a very nice rig now. i've seen what mudslinger is talking about on the pop up with tandem axle trailers. there's a local here that has a pop up mounted on the nose of a 20' gooseneck trailer so he has cargo area in the middle and towards the rear. obviously the tongue weight is acceptable being a gooseneck. i tandem tow....

Old 06-25-2011, 04:41 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys. Right now the Wife is keen on buying a little 4x4 Sidekick or Tracker with air and power steering, somethings our buggy lacks. Carrying that would only leave about 1000lbs cargo capacity so when I pick one up the steel is sure to fall off.
I posted more pics on my photo page if interested.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wouldn't think the factory would have put steel in to adjust hit h weight, considering the price of steel, and RV makers tending to pinch pennies. Building it they could change hitch weight by moving the tanks or the axles.

Previous owner mod maybe?

Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I suspect a quick call to the factory could clear up a lot of questions regarding balance/purpose etc.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Range Rover

I am on my second toy hauler, both of which are/were KZ's. We looked at the gearboxes when we first started looking to buy. My first was a 38 foot sportsman sportster with a 10' box. The tongue weight was pretty heavy, especially since I was then pulling with a 3/4 ton ford F250, but when I loaded the cargo area with quads it pulled alot better. My current hauler is a 44' KZ new vision. It has the aluminum walls and fiberglass sides as well as 3 slides. Basically this thing is a house coming down the road. I've looked under it and it doesn't have added weight in the back. This thing has three axles and actually pulls better than the 38' hauler.
With that being said, I couldn't see taking anything out from underneath the hauler. I'd about bet that the extra steel is for some sort of reinforcement. Does it have a trailer hitch on the rear? I put one on my 38' so I could pull a boat behind it. (talk about being long) I pulled up next to a big rig pulling a 53' trailer and was only a couple feet shorter than him.
If there is no hitch, then it could be to reinforce the rear entry. There is alot of pressure on the rear of the box when you pull something up in the back end.

Quick Reply: Toyhauler weight and storage