Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Lightweight Single ATV trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks to be a decent trailer. Is it aluminum? That would make it lighter for sure. Triton is a well respected company. I have an aluminum double snowmobile trailer from EZ-Loader that has a 10'x102" deck, tilt bed etc. Not sure of the weight, but I can drag it by myself to straighten it out etc, so it has to be pretty light. I originally bought a smaller trailer, but when my trailer came in, it was this beast. I call it the aircraft carrier. They had stopped production of snowmobile trailers and shifted to their boat trailer line and this was the only thing they had left. I didn't care since I got a much more expensive trailer for a lot less money, and it has really paid for itself over the years. I like aluminum especially since it will not rust and is much lighter than the like model steel trailers. A little more expensive, but they are worth the $ in the long run. After buying several trailers in the past, I have learned one thing though. Always buy bigger than you need today. Or you might be trading up tomorrow. I always seem to find a way to fill the bigger trailer. ALWAYS!

Old 10-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 5x8 steel trailer weighs less than my quad. It's easy to push and pull around the driveway but I don't have any steep hills to contend with. If I did I think I would go with aluminum.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider
Arrow

This is a match for what mine is except mine takes 1 7/8" ball and doesn't say Tarter on it. Mine is 3 years old now;

4' x 7' Utility Trailer with Gate Ramp - Tarter Farm & Ranch

This past summer I had wheel bearings repacked and replaced the 4-80x12 tires with 5-30x12 tires (nothing wrong with the originals, just wanted to upsize and found a good deal on new). Since then I've already hauled it about 400 miles and in the next month it will go about another 250. Thinking of adding bearing buddies so I don't have to worry if I'm needing grease. I have thought about selling and getting this new;

Big Tex Trailers 15XT Single Axle Utility Trailer » Big Tex Trailers

Old 10-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That last one has the EZ lube axle like mine. It's a great feature.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Unhappy

Just checked with the Big Tex dealer, they quite offering the small trailers due to low sales

Old 10-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

4 years Dee? Long time. I was lucky, I missed this one. Made up for it the first time we went exploring the gulf's sand box. Have the shattered knee and ankle put together with screws and rods and rubber bands to go with it thanks to some fun we had in a Hummer one night... The IED won... Did my 20 and retired, never looked back. These days I spend my time working for the State Dept. Let the young guns go be heroes now days. I build things now. Anyway, thanks for your service.

As for trailers... I found a place in Florida that has 4 26' aluminum car haulers with a front windscreen on them for around $12,000. I need to sell one my other trailers to fit it in the driveway. I have made up my mind to sell the toy hauler. Just too much for me to wrangle anymore. Besides like I said, I am more into comfortable accommodations. I figure I can pay for a lot of nights in a hotel for what the toy hauler has cost me. May even part with my aluminum snowmobile trailer to make room too. Most important, I can pull this behind my truck and a motorhome perhaps in the future? heh heh I can hear Mrs DB already... But honey, the toy hauler idea was your idea, I just went along with you to make you happy......Quick, duck... Oh damn woman, you know I can't move quick enough anymore. (She knows it well, makes her aim much better when throwing stuff.) Great, another bruise on my forehead. the guys down at the local watering hole are going to start thinking my old lady can kick my ***... and does it regularly... what is a man gonna do? Ya can't hit em...

Old 10-25-2014, 01:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup; 4 years. But I'm a contractor so it's voluntary...

I last month I bought a new Interstate enclosed trailer 20ft X 8.5ft to move stuff from Ca to Mn. Nice trailer, good brakes, and pulled good but is very high so it catches the wind. Sold it in Mn. Lost some $$$ but my Dad bought it so I can still use it any time I need it

Old 10-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Hey I hear ya. I have a Pace that is 8 ft tall inside. Which with the AC unit puts it at just under 11ft tall. I drove it home from the factor in Ga with a hurricane off the coast, I have a few stories to tell about wind with that trip.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:50 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Lots of used light aluminum snowmobile trailers around for sale, but since they are flat decks do not cheap out on the ratchet straps.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

I learned that lesson years ago. Cheap ones tend to break at the most inopportune time. I also leaned that if I NEED 4 new straps, by a dozen. It never fails, I am always coming up one or two short. Also learned that when it comes to trailers, always buy more than you need. When you carry 2, you need space for 4. If you carry 5, you need 6... it is a vicious circle. I am hoping to unload a couple trailers soon and buy on of the units mentioned above. Best of all worlds for me. I have always preferred an open trailer anyway. So much easier to move around on and tie down. Also the trailer above has outrigger sides that extend the deck to 101 inches. Which means I can load 2 side by side. That means I can get 4 quads and a SxS on the deck. That should do it. With a load capacity of just under 12,000 lbs, that should do the job.

Quick Reply: Lightweight Single ATV trailer?