Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

In or out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep mine in neutral with the parking brake set. I then strap down all 4 corners.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Just thought I would throw this out there....most all manufacturers recommend that the machine NOT be in gear when trailering. All have recommended to be in neutral with a parking brake set, then strapped into position with a recommended 4 straps. The reason being...if something happened it could severely damage the transmission but if in neutral then no damage. I have always used this method and so have most of the others I used to ride with. Just some food for thought.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Just thought I would throw this out there....most all manufacturers recommend that the machine NOT be in gear when trailering. All have recommended to be in neutral with a parking brake set, then strapped into position with a recommended 4 straps. The reason being...if something happened it could severely damage the transmission but if in neutral then no damage. I have always used this method and so have most of the others I used to ride with. Just some food for thought.
Yes this what I learned in small engine class many many years ago in another life.
My honda owners manual says to put it in gear so something may have changed in the meantime

Old 01-30-2016, 10:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most cvt machines and even semi-auto quads will allow the quad to roll backward a few feet if you're on an incline and let off the gas without damage. Unless you hold the brakes, that's basically what they do. If my Grizzly is in gear and I'm parked on an incline, it will roll backward unless I apply brakes. It doesn't have a parking brake but does have park in the transmission, like a car. That's what it should be in for transport. The Kymco 450i also has park so that would be the best choice for trailering. Like most utvs, it probably doesn't have a parking brake anyway. Honda ES models can be left in gear but they have a parking brake and if you leave them in gear, they are difficult to start. They only start in neutral and its hard to shift if they're not running.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Um, a lot of manufacturers don't even want you to Rev the engine in park. If your owners manual says that is how to transport it, fine. Otherwise I would stick with neutral.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

My kawasaki praire 300 manual recommends trailering in neutral and so does my Yamaha bear tracker 250 as well as my new Kymco 450i. My son has a Honda 400 ex and it says the same thing as does my neighbors Polaris atv. You guys are the first that I have heard of that recommends trailering in gear. Mabey it really doesn't make any difference???

Old 01-30-2016, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default To the o p

Originally Posted by kymco 450i
my kawasaki praire 300 manual recommends trailering in neutral and so does my yamaha bear tracker 250 as well as my new kymco 450i. My son has a honda 400 ex and it says the same thing as does my neighbors polaris atv. You guys are the first that i have heard of that recommends trailering in gear. Mabey it really doesn't make any difference???
back when 2 strokes ruled, honda and suzuki both recommended hauling in nuetral.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think utvs would be different than quads. They're much bigger and heavier for one and as I mentioned before, most if not all don't have a parking brake. They do have park in the transmission. Yes they have neutral but without a parking brake, the straps take full responsibility for keeping the machine from rolling off the trailer. The machine just freewheels in neutral. That's fine when you have the machine parked on level ground but wouldn't be the best when hauling.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by greg74
I would think utvs would be different than quads. They're much bigger and heavier for one and as I mentioned before, most if not all don't have a parking brake. They do have park in the transmission. Yes they have neutral but without a parking brake, the straps take full responsibility for keeping the machine from rolling off the trailer. The machine just freewheels in neutral. That's fine when you have the machine parked on level ground but wouldn't be the best when hauling.
My Kymco 450i has both, a parking brake and a park in the tranny something many brand name UTV do not have. I guess I am still more comfortable using N and setting the parking brake because that is what I am used to. I guess my concern would be a sudden jolt....would that damage something in the tranny??? I use 4 1000lb rated ea., straps to hold her on, and she definetly doesn't role with the parking brake on. Even tried pushing on the gas with the parking brake on just to see how well it held....yep it held...

Quick Reply: In or out of gear