Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:41 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: powerstroke01
I heard my name! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Usually your name and a free dinner would get anyone's attention[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] LOL!

Old 02-13-2007, 12:26 AM
Quad Patrol

Ok, here's a PSD question to put us back on course[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

My PSD is starting to grind while trying to start it up. Right now it could be a few things, starter/solenoid going bad, alternator going out, new batteries dying way to fast or the one I don't want to hear[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Chipped tooth on fly wheel. Anyways, I am hoping for either the alternator or starter going bad. What are the pros and cons to aftermarket versus OEM? Shop is going to hopefully troubleshoot it tomorrow.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Ok, here's a PSD question to put us back on course[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

My PSD is starting to grind while trying to start it up. Right now it could be a few things, starter/solenoid going bad, alternator going out, new batteries dying way to fast or the one I don't want to hear[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Chipped tooth on fly wheel. Anyways, I am hoping for either the alternator or starter going bad. What are the pros and cons to aftermarket versus OEM? Shop is going to hopefully troubleshoot it tomorrow.
The only things mentioned that would make a noise at start up would be your starter and /or flywheel. Check to see, if for some reason, it's loose[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Sounds dumb but it does happen. If you have issues with the starter that does not get repaired soon, it can damage the flywheel. The starter bendix can make noise and it can drag or not fully engage.

Don't waste your time and money on aftermarket starters like Kragen, etc. Spend the money for at least a factory rebuilt unit. yes, it's much more but those cheaply built starters will let you down many times and all at the wrong time. They never seem to stop working in your garage on a sat. morn when you have nothing better to do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Money well spent......... IMO, whatever that's worth[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Trasher

The only things mentioned that would make a noise at start up would be your starter and /or flywheel. Check to see, if for some reason, it's loose[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Sounds dumb but it does happen. If you have issues with the starter that does not get repaired soon, it can damage the flywheel. The starter bendix can make noise and it can drag or not fully engage.

Don't waste your time and money on aftermarket starters like Kragen, etc. Spend the money for at least a factory rebuilt unit. yes, it's much more but those cheaply built starters will let you down many times and all at the wrong time. They never seem to stop working in your garage on a sat. morn when you have nothing better to do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Money well spent......... IMO, whatever that's worth[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Thanks Creator.

I am actually hoping nothing is wrong[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] but think it is the bendix not fully engaging the fly wheel. When I mentioned after market, I was referring to one from say, DB Electric, found them over at dieselstop.net However, no one was saying the pros/cons of using it over OEM. I learned many years ago to stay away from Kragen or the others[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] There is a reason why they give you a life time of free replacements[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] You never stop replacing them[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2007, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

There are very few quality rebuilders out there and if you purchase from the dealer, they are all over the place to help with any issues you might have down the road. After all, do you want it not to start up on Saturday morning when your going riding[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2007, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]

I learned many years ago to stay away from Kragen or the others[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] There is a reason why they give you a life time of free replacements[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] You never stop replacing them[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I always thought you were smarter than that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2007, 01:26 AM
Quad Patrol

There are very few quality rebuilders out there and if you purchase from the dealer, they are all over the place to help with any issues you might have down the road. After all, do you want it not to start up on Saturday morning when your going riding[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Exactly why I still let the dealer fix a lot of stuff on my PSD[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Even though I can change the starter I am turning into a turn key mechanic[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Paying someone else to solve the problem, so all I have to do is drive away[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Plus with my daughter driving the PSD, I am fixing it so she is not stranded[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] that is much worse than me!

Old 02-13-2007, 01:27 AM
Quad Patrol

[quote]

I learned many years ago to stay away from Kragen or the others[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] There is a reason why they give you a life time of free replacements[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] You never stop replacing them[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I always thought you were smarter than that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

LOL!

Old 02-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Quad Patrol

Dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the PSD[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] No teeth damaged/missing on the fly wheel, not codes that were thrown, everything checked out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] While I do feel good there is nothing wrong[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I just hope someday when I am in the middle of nowhere[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It just decides not to work at all.

The good side of it is, the dealer didn't charge me a dime to do a diagnostic test on everything[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Now that's rare. A dealer not charge for something.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel