Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Watching OLN and the guys trying to make the DAKAR team on m/c[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Open riding in the MOJAVE[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] They just left Primm Nv. enroute to Dumont Dunes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] 85 miles of desert riding[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
I love that kind of stuff. Just you and the terrain and lady luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I think someone should come up with a mini-Dakar here in the states. It would be well attended and probably make some good coin at the same time.

I have ridden trials bikes since 1974 and just about 2 years sold my last one. Miss that stuff but had a hard time finding someone to ride with since not to many people to that type of riding. Just 2 days ago, I was talking with my insurance agent (my 16 yr old is driving now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img])
and found out that he rides trials too. Maybe a new montesa/honda or Gas/gas will be needed soon[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we mix a little of that in with the quads. Jr has an XR80 and i borrow my in-laws 1980 250-Yamaha TT (bit of a heavy tank). according to my expert rider cousin, Jr. is an excellent young rider. BUT, there's no one to ride with him or teach him... so unfortunately, he may never reach potential or develop all the skills.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:39 AM
Quad Patrol

Confused, check your PM[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

P.S. No selling in the open forum[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-23-2005, 04:52 AM
Quad Patrol

Creator, When I tow my trailer, my rig starts pulling to the right[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]Ford has replaced the rotors and brake pad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I don't get the shakes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img](Thank God[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) but, I think Ford does have a problem with thier front brakes. One of the things I heard, from a mechanic that "specializes" at his own brakes shop. is Ford put out a letter to it's service centers, Telling them to hand torque the lug nuts on the trucks and not use an impact wrench. Apparently, the impact doesn't tighten the lugs evenly, and when they are under heavy braking[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]they heat up and start distorting. So, I suggest, have your friend have Ford replace or turn the rotors, put new pads on and torque the wheels down by hand. Then, see if that helps. I'm getting ready to have the dealer here do that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] My warranty is up in 14,000 miles and I want new brakes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] at Ford's expense[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-23-2005, 04:55 AM
Quad Patrol

Well, I put the new clutch in this weekend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] looks like the old ones were worns out. Wasn't hard[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]just time consuming[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]Will put oil in tomorrow and coolant, adjust the cable and cross my fingers[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] it works[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Didn't get to Carnegie to ride/meet Skinner[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] going to try and get out there tomorrow morning before he and everyone else leaves.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:57 AM
Quad Patrol

Creator, have you done any cross desert riding? Thwat's something I would love to do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-23-2005, 05:09 AM
Pro Rider

brakes are a wear and tear item, how do ya figure they'll do that under warranty?

I have high performance rotors all round. they are specific to each wheel. I had a worn inner-pad slip thru the caliper mounting bracket on one of them , and chewed it up in a matter of miles. I then put the factory one back on that rear wheel.

I don't believe what they said about the impact gun MD, cuz they use torque sticks to tighten them. they are a certain thickness of steel that will only tighten to a specified torque, and then the stick flexs and won't tighten anymore. they're color coded for pre-set tourque, like orange is 100ft. lbs,, yellow is 80, etc... some of them are also for specific wheel nut sizes. anyways, you can have you air set at 300lbs+++, but the stick will torque before over tightening. ALTHO, some mechanics may not have the sticks in their tool box, but the shop always has them.. but the mechanics get lazy and don't wanna hunt them down, so they just tighten with impact gun , and by feel/experience.

i did PM ya. sorry for the indiscretion.

Old 01-23-2005, 05:36 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
brakes are a wear and tear item, how do ya figure they'll do that under warranty?

I have high performance rotors all round. they are specific to each wheel. I had a worn inner-pad slip thru the caliper mounting bracket on one of them , and chewed it up in a matter of miles. I then put the factory one back on that rear wheel.

I don't believe what they said about the impact gun MD, cuz they use torque sticks to tighten them. they are a certain thickness of steel that will only tighten to a specified torque, and then the stick flexs and won't tighten anymore. they're color coded for pre-set tourque, like orange is 100ft. lbs,, yellow is 80, etc... some of them are also for specific wheel nut sizes. anyways, you can have you air set at 300lbs+++, but the stick will torque before over tightening. ALTHO, some mechanics may not have the sticks in their tool box, but the shop always has them.. but the mechanics get lazy and don't wanna hunt them down, so they just tighten with impact gun , and by feel/experience.

i did PM ya. sorry for the indiscretion.
All I can tell you is "They coevered them under warranty" Already had them replaced once already under my extended warranty[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] When I have to pay for my own brakes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I too, will go with performance rotors all the way around.

On the impact wrench, all I can do is relay what I've been told[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I haven't seen the letter myself[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] and it did come from a Private shop, who might have his own motive for saying it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] However, my friend has a '04 F150, that's been shaking up front[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] like Creator's friend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Ford couldn't fix it, after 3 trips to the shop[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] he took it to this mechanic, he turned the rotors, hand tightened the lugs and so, far, it's held up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So, there is some validity to what he has said[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-23-2005, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, maybe they meant don't tighten by feel or experience, either use a torq stick or torq wrench. I know on my F350, i was sent a replacement set of papers for changing a flat tire, with a different (higher) torq rating for the lug nuts. And it may be in between values of the torq stix (like 135ft lbs., and the stix are 130 & 140), which would require a torq wrench.

my front end was vibrating bad on braking. pretty sure the mechanic had turned my front rotors, IIRC, with the portable lathe that turns them while still on the veh. It didn't change until i put the performance ones on. they are EXPENSIVE tho, $100 EACH. the rears are a bigger pain to do cuz ya need a specialty socket and ya gotta pull the axles. plus ya have to remove the old rotor from the hub which is a real "bigger hammer" job.

well, glad to hear your dealer replaces brakes under warranty. no wonder the dealership where my dad works gets all their warranty claims rejected by Ford... no $$ left after paying for all the brake jobs in CA!! .[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Creator, Here's a trailer a friend and I looked at today[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] He's buying one to haul his new BMW VR1200[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] in[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img](Sweet bike too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] anyways, you mentioned a 7' wide with wheel wells outside. Here you go 7' wide trailer The construction looked good and they use 3/8 inch plywood to line the inside. Cost was around $4,000 depending on what it has[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I think it had a 7k GVW or maybe 10k[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]I'm confused now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] we looked at so many[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Finally took all the quads out and measured the space I have and found out I need a 6' wide trailer without wheel wells on the outside. If I want to be able to pass by this thing next to the house it has to be that skinny[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel