Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Truck. How bout yours?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 08:59 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They listed the rotors at $200 apiece. If you're doing your own work you might be able to find a place that turns brake rotors if they're bad but not beyond saving.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...g+brake+rotors

Old 02-28-2019, 06:58 AM
Country Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang okay. My truck had been sitting for a long time before i got it. The brake lines and brakes are completely out so ill have to check the rotors. They might still be fine.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:54 AM
Range Rover
Old 04-13-2019, 12:36 PM
Country Rider

that looks so fun

Old 04-13-2019, 07:56 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Yeah, all kinds of fun.

I've been through much worse with my van, both trucks, and believe it or not my ex's Cavalier wagon, but I stayed out of the deep wash out and one side of the car was up on top of the bank. If you drop down in the ruts you're screwed. It was on a 2-track that dead ends at a creek where I used to camp, and I wouldn't have taken the Cavalier through it if I didn't just go through it with my truck. It was worse going back out because it was upgrade on the wash out. Around a loose sand corner first, straighten out, side-hill around the deep washout, straighten out again and keep the momentum up for the sharp left turn and the steepest hill on the trail, turn right and head toward the fire lane and start breathing again. The fire lane is a dirt road they don't recommend you take a 2WD car on but it's much better than the 2-track I just got off.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:23 PM
Range Rover

I got stuck on a road you could have driven in a Yugo. So yes, great fun. Nothing like spending two hours recovering your vehicle when you had nothing better to be doing. This happened while I was watching several wild horses, instead of paying attention. It looked like such a harmless little rut, that I wasn't even worried about it. There was just a half inch wide trickle of water in the bottom of the rut, but when the ground in this area gets wet there is no bottom to it. You could stand right next to the rut, and you were standing on dry hard ground, but step in the rut, and you were all of a sudden hip deep in mud. When the truck slid into the rut I felt it instantly drop right down to the frame, and I was stuck. Turning on the electric lockers made no difference at all. It took a bit of work to extract the truck, because the two closest trees were not big enough (~8" diameter), and the 12,000 lb winch just pulled each tree out of the ground. I finally had to stretch out every recovery strap I had, and 120' of cable to reach a big enough tree. Then, it came right out.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:00 AM
Country Rider

I almost done fixing my truck but its got a 10 in lift and brand new 35/12.5 /16 tires I got for it I'm gonna mount. Ive gotta find some places by me I can do stuff like that

Old 04-19-2019, 12:28 AM
THE BERMINATOR

The place that changed my oil was going to replace 1 idler arm + 1 misc. front end part that cost the same price as the idler arm + 2 tie rod ends + 2 inner tie rod ends, for a sub-total of $579.94 + 6% sales tax = $614.74 for parts. They weren't going to charge me any labor for the misc. front end part but labor would still be $266, for a total of $880.74 to "fix" the front end. I dropped my truck off at the dealer Wednesday morning and got it back Thursday morning. All they saw wrong with the front end was a loose hub that they replaced. The hub was $243.37 + $14.61 tax + $165 labor - a $25 GM Rewards certificate for a total of $398.08. I got the $25 off certificate for using my GM credit card for lots of things, and for going to a GM dealer, and bonus points for using the card at the dealer. The other guys were going to charge me $482.66 more and I would still need to buy a hub and get it installed. Add them up and it would have cost me $1,278.82 to get both jobs done. Paying $398.08 instead of $1278.82 means I paid 69% less if you round it off to the nearest whole number. The next time some one tells me how much it costs going to the dealer I'll tell them that going to the dealer saved me 69%.

After the dealer wrote up the repair order, but before the courtesy van took me home, I was sitting in the customer lounge when I finally remembered to have them check the parking brake. It didn't work and I thought the cable broke but never did look and see. It just felt like there wasn't anything connected to the pedal except the spring when I pressed it down. The cable broke alright and they called said I was missing some hardware by the wheel. I think I finally sort of figured out what happened last year when I thought I hit a giant pothole so hard the engine quit running, but when I went by again there was no pothole. I think the parking brake engaged by itself somehow, maybe from some debris flying up and hitting the cable, and when the brake engaged it tore off some parts and broke the cable. Whatever happened, I had to get an emergency brake shoe kit too, not just the cable. All in all it took about 27 hours to get everything fixed and that's only because they had to order some parts.

Meanwhile one of my brothers is still waiting for a dealer to fix his Ram pickup. They replaced some kind of sensor and his truck was still messed up so he took it back. Then they replaced the wiring harness for one of the sensors, maybe the same one, maybe not. He doesn't know because he's been waiting 2 months to get his truck back and find out. It still has more horizontal miles on the road than vertical miles on the lift, but he's had more than his share of problems with it. He's the guy who said his old made in Mexico Ram pickup was the worst POS he's ever owned, then he bought another one. I till don't get get it. I understand why brand loyalty would make a person lean toward a certain product if 2 or more brands were of approximately equal quality and price, but I don't understand this. I blame innate stupidity and years of marijuana use. He says the Hemi is a good strong engine when everything is working right, whenever that is. He had to get all 8 of the coils replaced because they were leaking, plus 16 new spark plugs, a sensor, a wiring harness, and this and that and all the other things, and it's still not running right since at least last year. If his Mexican Ram ever gets as old as my Michigan Chevy he's really going to have problems with it.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:22 AM
Country Rider

wow good to hear it all worked out for ya. I dont get why his truck would be having so many problems. The newer Rams are really nice and pretty reliable. Thats strange. Anyhow I worl part time at a repair shop as my first job and yeah ik how all that stuff goes now and its good it cost that much less. This weekend Im replacing brake line, brake pads, and rotors and hopefully my truck is then drive able. I still need to mount the new tires but I just wanna be able to drive it!

Old 04-19-2019, 09:38 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I believe all brands make good trucks and bad trucks, and you never know what you're going to get. Some are near perfect and others have so many gremlins that no one knows what to do with them. The same goes for ATVs and just about anything that comes out of a factory.

P.S. I'm going somewhere else to get my brakes checked next week. I'll find out if I need 4 rotors and 8 pads or not.

Quick Reply: My Truck. How bout yours?