Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Anti-Theft... When Broken Down In The Woods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-Theft... When Broken Down In The Woods?

Hi Guys,

It dawned on me that if my quad, or a buddies quad or bike breaks down out in the middle of nowhere, and had to be left where it broke down, someone could steal it while I was figuring out how to get it back home.

Is there a lock that is TRUELY difficult to pick or cut, and a cable of some sort that is TRUELY uncutable?.... I'm figureing I'd lock it to a tree... I have racks and can carry it with me.

You suggestions please.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 07-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer

yep, it's called leave guy behind and come back.

Old 07-05-2003, 06:22 PM
Range Rover

i wouldnt want to leave anything sitting in the woods, so we carry tow straps with us. if somebody breaks down we can tow them back.

Old 07-05-2003, 06:29 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some thing I have done is winch it tight to a tree and take the key.But most of the time if mine is broke in the woods nobody would want it so I dont worry too much.I did leave it on a sand bar one nite and half the next day and if anyone could have gotten out they could have it!It was hung up to the racks and we broke 2 winch lines tring to get it out ended up on a tractor.

Old 07-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always ride with someone and always carry a tow strap. If for some reason you absolutly have to leave it in the woods, I'd push it as far off the trail as possible and bury it with brush. There are chains and cables available that are hardened to RESIST cutting, but if it's out in the middle of nowhere with nobody around, an ATV thief can take his time cutting it free. Plus, the only thing to chain to will be a tree and trees can be cut down pretty quick.

Jaybee

Old 07-17-2003, 01:08 AM
Range Rover

Cellphone, two way radios, ride with buddies and bring tow ropes....

Old 07-26-2003, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

"Is there a lock that is TRUELY difficult to pick or cut, and a cable of some sort that is TRUELY uncutable?.... I'm figureing I'd lock it to a tree... I have racks and can carry it with me." very good question. I am going on a hunting trip this year off the Dusy-Ershim trail and I plan to ride in about 15 miles and park my quad them hike into the wilderness from our base camp. We will have the quads at camp and be gone most of the day. I figured we would cable lock all the quads together, but there will be times when I pull off the trail to hike 1/2 mile to the lake for some trout fishing alone. Is there a way to prevent it from being stolen with somekind of wheel lock or should I not leave it sitting off the trail?

Old 07-26-2003, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

good question, I never thought about it in the past

When I was younger, I would go off a few miles and get stuck, always had to walk home. Never really dawned on me that someone would steal it

Old 07-26-2003, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

i used to park mine in the woods while hunting and what i did was i bought the steering wheel club (used for autos) and i would turn the handlebars as far as i could in one direction and use the club to lock the handlebar to the rack. i figured they would have to cut it or push it in circles.

highway

Old 07-26-2003, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you Highway, very good Idea and inexpensive also [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Anti-Theft... When Broken Down In The Woods?