Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

PLOW ?¿?¿?¿?¿

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 04:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLOW ?¿?¿?¿?¿

Have AC 500 auto and 60" blade, winch controlled. Plowed drive (200') and my road (340') laast winter. Snow depth to 18". Did well.

Old 07-24-2003, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default PLOW ?¿?¿?¿?¿

I had a 60" plow I made. My plow was a tilt style with springs and could be positioned straight, 30 degrees left, or 30 degrees right. I have a 2 car wide X 200 foot "u" shaped driveway to the house and a 250 foot driveway off the "u" to my toy shop out back. I live in Northern New Brunswick, Canada were we get snow from @ Mid december and it stays until @ Mid April. Up here its called "white Gold" for the snowmobile enthusiast and we get on average @ 4 feet of it, but I 've seen were we get 3 ft deep snow storms also...
My bike is a 97 explorer 4x4 with snow chains with ice grippers on each wheel and I never had a problem of pushing the snow... The problem is were you push it to!!! If you push to a certain spot in the yard at the beginning of the winter, by the end of winter, your not pushing it there no more.. each time you push, the bank keeps getting higher and also harder. The snow melts some on nice days and packs when it freezes again. The wet snow also freezes hard. After a while you just push up to your original bank but a little away and it keeps doing this, by the end of winter the drive way shrinks in length because it just gets hard banging into the hard packed banks.
So I guess it also depends on the shape of your driveway, mine because of the "U" shape was very difficult with the plow especially in the deep storms. just a note, four years ago, I sold the plow and bought a Kimpex 13 hp front mount snowblower. No more bank problems and about three times faster than the plow. Hope this helps.
Honcho.

Old 07-25-2003, 11:32 AM
Range Rover
Default PLOW ?¿?¿?¿?¿

<FONT size=2>
I have a cycle country multi-position plow on my 4X4. I plow my drive that is U shaped and most of the time I leave the blade straight and angle it right or left. But one side of my drive drifts in sometimes 2 to 4 feet and this can be very hard to push with a straight blade. I place my plow in the V position and push a hole through the center and then take it from there. With it in the V position you have equal pressure so the quad doesn't spin sideways like it does in the angled position and your not trying to push it all in front of you. You can also put it into a scoop position very nice for cleaning up.
Last year a friend of mine asked me to give him a hand with snow removal (business for him) and I was at a church in town doing the sidewalks. The last walk I did was about 100 feet long and was drifted in with 2 foot of hard packed snow. I didn't think I could get it plowed but figured I would try.
I took a little bit of a run at it with the plow in the V position and to my surprise the plow lifted a bit and was plowing about 1 foot off the top and my quad rode on top of what was left. Turned around and cleaned the rest off. It was like parting the red sea!!
Now the bad part. I don't think anyone sells the multi position plow anymore. To bad because I think they give you the best of all plows. Mite find a used one. I know Polaris used to offer them also in 97/98. </FONT>

Old 07-27-2003, 05:13 AM
Trailblazer
Default PLOW ?¿?¿?¿?¿

That multi-position plow that cycle coutry sells looks interesting. Straight but able to convert to V configuaration if you need to slam through a drift. cool

Old 07-27-2003, 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default PLOW ?¿?¿?¿?¿

i have a 2003 arctic cat 400, looking at getting a pow for it, was wondering ewhat kind of plow u have m were u got it, i will be useing it on a farm, i live about 100 mile southhwest of cghicago, aslo want tobe able to do lite gravel work with it also. any infor u can give me would be helpfulll

Old 07-27-2003, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default PLOW ?¿?¿?¿?¿

I think the front mounted snowblower must distribute the snow better, but does it clean as well? With the plow you can scrape the driveway etc, but can the snowblower remove that lower icy/crusty layer?

Old 07-28-2003, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer
Default PLOW ?¿?¿?¿?¿

Lightman:

At the start of the winter, I leave the blower ski's lowered about 1/4", which in turn lifts the blower knife edge up 1/4", so that I Don't pick up to many rocks or gravel. After a good base is obtained, the skis are raised above the knife edge, and the knife edge just rides along the base. This actually cleans just as well as a plow, if not better, and for every pass made, there is no snow thrown out the sides....so you can imagine how much time this save, especially on a long driveway.

P.S.: Why would a florida atv'er worry about plowing/blowing snow, isn't it summer down there every day...

Old 07-28-2003, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default PLOW ?¿?¿?¿?¿

Moving back up to Cleveland in less than a year =]

Old 07-28-2003, 02:08 PM
Range Rover
Default PLOW ?¿?¿?¿?¿

Honcho, How hard/easy is the blower to take on and off?

Old 07-28-2003, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default PLOW ?¿?¿?¿?¿

that blower is waaaay expenisve, the whole rig is $2k at least eh? Is it that much better than the plow?

Quick Reply: PLOW ?¿?¿?¿?¿