Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Shift or Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2000, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you prefer to shift or do you prefer automatic transmissions? I was just wondering what everyone thinks because my friends and I are alwayse arguing on which is better (personnaly I tried both and think shifting is way better).

Old 05-17-2000, 05:34 PM
Range Rover

I shopped very hard and one tough decision was to go with auto clutch 5 sp. or full auto tranny. I must be old school and went with shift to better maximize the utilities of 4x4.

Slipping transmission drive belts due to deep water made me shy away from auto trannies.

Old 05-17-2000, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

I would prefer the shifter. I just wouldn't know what to do with my left foot.

Old 05-17-2000, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just purchased an automatic and it will take some time for me to get used to it however, in the woods, they are just great, going over logs and fallen trees you do not have to worry about what gear you are in or shifting right in the middle of a mud hole.
2000 Grizzly w/Superwinch

Old 05-17-2000, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

The water in the belt thing is one other reason I was aprehensive about buying my Polaris Sp 500. I ride with a bunch of guys and quite a few have the machines with belts. Unless you have removed the cover or it was'nt on properly to start this is a non problem. It does'nt matter what brand you buy if you hit water too hard and get it in the air intake all you have to do is keep the rpm up and it dries off period. I have been through the same creeks I go through with my clutched and auto cluthed machines and have no trouble.

Gardner 10

Old 05-18-2000, 01:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The automatic is superior if you do a lot of mud riding. Constant smooth throttle rather than the stop and catch of the shifter that loses momentum.
Steep slow rock crawling, and steep downhilling favors the geared manual. More throttle control with a geared transmission. Smoothness and ease with the auto.

It is totally rider preference.

Old 05-18-2000, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

Andy...Great reply...say do you live on or near hwy 71..I drive through to see my dad in Barling.
Do you do any riding in Ark. river bottoms or stay up top?
Thanks..Bill

Old 05-19-2000, 02:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I live about 300 yards from 71. My folks own the grocery store on the side of 71 across from the city complex. I basically stay in the hills such as out towards White Rock and north up at Devils Den St. Park. I have a buddy that lives in Mulberry, but I have never ridden out there. We used to take his jeep out in the bottoms there. I'd like to have a sport quad to take to that spot over by the bridge in Ft. Smith though. Lots of good jumps it looks like. Used to play baseball against Barling when I was a kid. We had our share of wins, but they were the toughest team in the league a couple of years. My cousin married a girl from Barling a few years back, but I can't remember her maiden name. Cool to see someone with ties around here close.

Old 05-19-2000, 06:35 AM
Pro Rider

I now perfer autos, growing up I had many different high performance dirtbikes and quads and a few streetbikes so switching to a full auto was a big decision for me. But now after owning one for a while I love it. If you find one with Engine Braking they do a decent job on down hills and low range does pretty good for crawling thru rocks. And as far as the woods or utility use it cant be beat.
Warning this is my opinoion and may not be shared by others that have different opinions.

Old 05-20-2000, 02:50 PM
Range Rover

I prefer the manual shift.
Can you imagine having a Porsche 911 with an automatic transmission?
I know it's an apples to oranges kind of comparison, but that's the way I look at it.

Quick Reply: Shift or Automatic