Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Warn 424 will not lock into 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 04:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn 424 will not lock into 2WD

Man, this is killing me. Install was a snap, I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly. When finishing up I pulled the handle and it did lock, but now no such luck.

I even adjusted the cable as the instructions say as far as I could go and this thing won't lock.

I jacked up the quad and hit the gas, with the **** in it's in 4WD, and when I pull the **** I can see the front tires stop spinning, so I thing it has to be the cable.

Anyone help?

It's a 2004 Wolverine.

Thanks.

Old 03-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

same things happening to my frineds rubicon

Old 03-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

does detroit or who ever that makes the detroit gearless locker make an unlocker?

Old 03-31-2004, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

No, but Highlifter does. They offer it by itself or with the Detroit Locker as a package for those that want to about double the price.

Old 03-31-2004, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

um i dont think so. i was asking if the other company makes an unlocker cuzz my friggen highlifter one has broken more times than i can count, and many of wich within there 30 day warentee.

Old 03-31-2004, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

If you are looking for another manufacturer that makes something similar to the Highlifter Unlocker then go to Warn's website...www.warn.com. The product I am referring to is called a 424 Select. It does exactly the same thing as the Unlocker.

Just out of curiosity, do you regularly lube the white shifter yoke on your unlocker? I have one as well, and did not see anything in the installation instructions from Highlifter about lubrication. After my first meltdown, I talked to Customer Service and was told to lube it from time to time. I am curious because sense then, mine has not failed. I would like to know.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-31-2004, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

From conversations with Warn, all of the locking mechanism is in the handknob.

I remember reading a post a couple of days ago about pretty much the same thing. Another rider responded that he had rotated the black hand **** quite a few times during installation and that kept his from shifting fully and locking in. The original poster said he would try that and whallah, it worked. He just rotated the **** aroud (must be threaded) the opposite direction.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-01-2004, 06:51 AM
Range Rover

Ive had alot of problems out of my HL unlocker also. Ive lubed the yoke before every ride and finally machined a new larger yoke out of stuff we call "super slick", its a type of silicone plastic used for industrial applications, that helped by giving a larger contact area but still slips off the shifter whenever i'm really gettin' on it. I think if you could support the free end of the cable with a rigid bracket it would stop the problem. Just my 2 cents worth.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2004, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

Grimmsniper......

Interesting to hear why yours comes off. If it does so when you are really getting on it, that tells me that the shaft assembly is moving from where it normally resides at rest (where it is when you adjust the alignment during installation. My question would be, is it possible that your front differential bolts are not quite tight enough? If they were not, when you get on it hard, the front diff tries to rotate (opposite the rotational direction of the shaft) and would not stop rotating until the bolts have reached the side of the holes in the mounting brackets.

After a very, very, technical ride in Colorado, I could hear a slight "clunk" when I went from reverse to forward.. not while shifting, but just after applying some throttle. Upon investigation, I found the front differential bolts to be "slightly loose". I retorqued them and then added just a bit more. Had I not heard this clunk, I wonder if my highlifter unit would have popped off as yours does.

Give her a check, and then let us know, I am very curious.

Old 04-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Range Rover

95wolverine, your suggestion makes sense but my engine is currently at FST and should be finished within 2 weeks, i will definatly torque the diff. bolts down. one thing though, i could physically pull the yoke away from the shifter about an 1/8" that is why i brought up the bracket idea. i'll let you know what i come up with as soon as i can, Thanks for the help!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Warn 424 will not lock into 2WD