Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

FMF Powerline or HMF Utility????

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004 | 11:04 AM
|
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Default FMF Powerline or HMF Utility????

Has anyone had any experience with the new FMF Powerline exhaust, all stainless, baffles, no repacking, or the new HMF quiet series? I am looking for something to work with the mild mods on my motor, I like the idea of no repacking and quiet ( about 92 dB) for the Powerline, but don't know much about the new HMF, I know the racing ones are horribly loud, even the "quiet" ones I have heard are too loud for my tastes, but this new one is supposed to be both quiet - stock sound level or less, and still give good HP numbers. Any info on either one???
thanks, now quit reading and go riding !!!!

Old 06-29-2004 | 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry I don't have any info but I'm interested as well. Just want to keep this thread alive.

Old 06-29-2004 | 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

Since I have had no luck in getting the FMF powerline exhaust (about 7 months of B.S.), I have been in contact with HMF about the QS1 series. (Also, Big Gun has a new exhaust for utilities.) They seem to have their stuff together. They even have the recommend jet sizes on their web site (something I couldn't get out of FMF). Right now, I am trying to get the Dyno charts out of them and they have the pipes ready to ship.

Old 06-29-2004 | 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't heard good things about Big Gun on the Griz but that doesn't mean it isn't good on others. I am looking forward to hearing more about the HMF quiet pipe.

Old 06-29-2004 | 01:12 PM
|
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

MuddyEiger,

Please keep us informed on what you find, sounds like you are looking hard into this. The FMF is hard to pin down, I have found it ready to ship from Dennis Kirk for my Wolverine, but it took months of pestering until it was available. The QS1 is sounding good, Big Gun is another good choice, as long as they keep the noise down, the Big Guns I have been around were race ones, ouch, loud !!!

Old 06-29-2004 | 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Unless Big Gun has improved their craftsmanship, I've heard very bad things about the quality of Big Gun utility exhausts. Rivets falling out, welds breaking, etc. What Dirtwheels or one of the ATV Magazines needs to do is a Utility Quad Exhaust Shootout. I read a small, undetailed review somewhere of the new Ecosystem from HMF saying it was truly very quiet and made good power, but don't hold me to that.

Old 06-30-2004 | 06:21 AM
Pro Rider

Well, thanks for the info on Big Gun. That and the fact that FMF doesn't give me a straight answer on things makes me lean even farther to HMF.

Old 06-30-2004 | 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

I was reading about the HMF QS1 and it sounds real good, but then it was an HMF web site and they wouldn't put negative comments on their own web site. I'll be watching it pretty close.

Old 06-30-2004 | 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

Haven't heard of too many people with the QS1, but there have been plenty that have had other HMF pipes. I don't see to many bad things about them. Someone did post in the Zuk forum that he got his Powerline for his Vinny and wasn't that impressed, but he hasn't completely tuned it.

Old 06-30-2004 | 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Here is the link:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/408001.cfm

Quick Reply: FMF Powerline or HMF Utility????