Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Big Bear Dies???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bear Dies???

I have a Big Bear 400 4x4 that the other night when i was ridding it, it just died, and would not start without the choke. after i messed with it for a little while it didnt need the choke anymore and it ran fine. Sometimes you can be ridding it and it will sputter and hesitate ( like a rev limiter would do ) for no reason. other times its hard to start. The motor is completly stock so there are no "bolt on" mods causing my problem here but if anyone else has had a similer experiance and knows the fix please share. I dont think that this is an isolated situation because my dad has one that we bought on the same day and his has similar problems too.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Big Bear Dies???

LOMAX,

have you been backfiring at all? have you been getting very bad gas mileage?????

I have an arctic cat 650 v-twin and the very same thing happen to me this weekend, did you go through any deep puddles???? this is what i think caused my problems. I think that i may be the plugs, i have not fixed the problem yet but i am going check the plugs tonite and then go from there. i will let you know if i get it fixed and what it was tommorrow.

BIGGER CAT

Old 07-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Big Bear Dies???

Yeah it backfires when it dies, I do play submarine, but its been gettin real good fuel milage. I thought maybe a rev-limter for the rear brakes ( my raptors used to have one, if the parking brake was on they wouldnt rev up ) because i broke the brake arm retaining spring but i played with that idea and i dont think that it has a rev limiter on the brakes. It also has developed a large amount of slack in the steering, Its starting to dissapont me, I have always had excelent luck with my Yamaha's and this one is looking like it doesnt want to stay together.

Old 07-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Big Bear Dies???

whoa,

interesting what you said about the brake!!!! it just so happens that in the course of riding yesterday i noticed that my rear brake (foot pedal) is not working!!!!!! i got a good size rock in my wheel and it flopped around in there for a bit and i think i broke the brake assembly or something!!!!! if you dont think it is your plugs i would investigate that rear brake!!!!!! i will definately look at that tonite. good call, man i love these forums you can get alot of info!!!!!

good luck and i will let you know what i come up with

BIGGER CAT

Old 07-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Big Bear Dies???

Do you have any mud in your brakes. That could be the cause of the brakes not working.

Old 07-19-2004, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Big Bear Dies???

Also check if there is any water in the carburater and if it got into your air box.

Old 07-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Big Bear Dies???

The biggest thing that is throwing me for a loop is that My dads is just like mine, I run mine through all kinds of mud and water etc. Well he plows gardens with his, and its having trouble starting and not wanting to run right at times just like mine.

Old 07-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Big Bear Dies???

Lomax,

well i went over my machine yesterday and found the problem!!!!! i am sure you probably already checked this but hey you may have overlooked it, like i did. It turns out that my air filter and air box were both caked with dust and mudd. This was choking off the air flow and causing my machine to be very hard to start and run very ruff with hesitations at full throttle and such. I pulled the whole air box assembly apart and cleaned it, i used Dawn dish detergent (grease cutting) on the air filter and it worked awesome!!!! put all back together and wella, running like a champ again!!!!! i hope your fix will be as easy as mine was good luck

BIGGERCAT

Old 07-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Big Bear Dies???

I have checked the air filter but not the air intake snorkel, Thats something worth looking at. I'll check it out, appreciatte the idea.
-Lomax

Old 07-28-2004, 07:17 AM
Trailblazer
Default Big Bear Dies???

I dont know if you checked this or not, but my friend had the same problem with his quad and we found that the fuel line had a small kink in it. When it sat there idling, I could just barely touch it and it would eventually sputter. Replaced the fuel line and he has never had the problem since. His Yamaha dealer stated that it was common problem (he has a beartracker though) and thats why we checked. Just trying to help. Good luck if its something else.

Quick Reply: Big Bear Dies???