Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What to Buy????

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to Buy????

I really don't want to sound like a complete @$$..........but I have to say that previous post could be nothing further from the truth. If you take a brand new Polaris Sportsman 500 HO and a brand new Honda Rubicon 500 or any other similar new Polaris/Honda for that matter, treat them the exact same, do the same amount of maintanence or lack there of and I PROMISE you; the Honda will outlast the Polaris. I really don't care who jumps down my throat after this post because of what I've sayed, but this is reality in the ATV world right now. 20045SP500HO: it's seriously nothing personal, just a statement that I felt I would like to make.

Fuzzygrub: If you feel you need IRS and a bit sportier machine then go ahead and get the Polaris, but I will bet you anything that it's in the shop more than it should be unless you baby it. If you want the pinnacle of relibility, low-maintanance and just a machine to get the job done with no questions asked, you need a Honda. I also strongly recommend any Suzuki (particularly the Vinson and Eiger) or Kawasaki.

Old 09-23-2004, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default What to Buy????

OK did I mention that mine had not been to the shop, ever. We are talking about almost 9000 combined miles, of ranch work. I maintain them good but look at quads that live on ranches they see more abuse and hard work than any trail machine, short runs, pulling too much, living in the mud and water. I don't know the reliability of others but there sure has not been any problems with Polaris here. In my family there are 5 Sportsman 500's from 1997-2004.5 not one of them has ever had more than maint. done. Read about all the belt problems with AC, I went over 3500 miles on the origional belt under abusive conditions. I like to go for a challenging trail ride it gives the quads a vacation.

Old 09-23-2004, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default What to Buy????

Originally posted by: RedGoblin

Fuzzygrub: If you feel you need IRS and a bit sportier machine then go ahead and get the Polaris, but I will bet you anything that it's in the shop more than it should be unless you baby it. If you want the pinnacle of relibility, low-maintanance and just a machine to get the job done with no questions asked, you need a Honda. I also strongly recommend any Suzuki (particularly the Vinson and Eiger) or Kawasaki.
in the shop more than it should be unless you baby it? where do you get that from. all machines will run as well as they are treated. if you ride them hard, they will break, EVEN HONDA'S. our polaris has been ridden hard from the beginning, and it's still going strong because although it's ridden hard, it's treated right. the same goes with any make.

Old 09-23-2004, 01:27 AM
Trailblazer
Default What to Buy????

not stepping on anyone's toes..But honda will last you forever and you wont have any problems ..iv owned 5 quads..sport and utility...and other brands also....when it comes to not letting you down honda is on top all the way

Old 09-23-2004, 01:29 AM
Trailblazer
Default What to Buy????

5 *honda quads. Sorry for the typo

Old 09-23-2004, 03:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default What to Buy????

No matter what Honda people say, all my friends (4 of them, 300, 250, and 2 Rubicons) got Honda's and they have MUCH more shop time then my Polaris.

Old 09-23-2004, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default What to Buy????

I am by no means saying Hondas are invincible. That will never be the case for any machine ever. I'm saying that in my opinion from the first-hand experience I have around here, Polaris is nowhere near as reliable as a Honda. That's all. Did not mean Hondas will run forever.

Old 09-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default What to Buy????

thats fair ... our experiences are just different. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default What to Buy????

Thank you very much, couldn't have said it better.

Old 09-24-2004, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default What to Buy????

I refuse to get into the "my quad is better than your quad" argument, but every time this question is asked the argument starts up again. You've done some research which is good. One thing that is important when buying a new quad is the support you get from the dealership. Don't mistake tippieness with sway on IRS quads. It's something you have to get used to because the charactoristics are different from SRA quads. I've had my Griz on some pretty steep side hills and you just have to use a little more body english. You can't beat the ride of an IRS quad though.