Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Best ATV for pulling an Ice house

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ATV for pulling an Ice house

Why don't you want IRS. It has just as much towing capacity as a solid axle and a lot smoother ride. I use my Griz to haul my horse trailer around (no horses of course) and it has a pretty heavy tongue weight. The Griz has no problems at all even in 2-wheele drive.
Once you try IRS you will never want a solid axle again.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:08 PM
Range Rover

I can't believe people, everyone loves there machine of course, when you buy something of that price everyone loves them.

But no one is realistic, if you want a machine to pull things with, lets get serious and talk a geared machine that is heavy and has a front diff lock. That would be a Bombardier TRAXTER, it is the king of pulling in the ATV world and has a geared tranny and weighs almost 800 lbs, so to be honest this is the machine, its LOW gears are really LOW so you won't run out of torque. Big bores are good but there all mostly Sport/Utility, and lean more to the sport side, where the traxter is more utility/recreation.

Ask any owner if he has lost a pull off against any other ATV and you'll see, it is just too much for other ATV's out there when it comes to working/pulling. It even has a low centre of gravity and is very wide so its stable.
I can't compare the RUV's Ranger, Rhino as there NOT Atv's but bigger versions and cost quite a bit more too and again are BELT drive.
Come on lads!

Old 11-11-2004, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

You dont need or want geared anything on ice as far as a over weight pig on top of thin ice I also think not. In Montana this is not even a option and I ice fish all the time. Do you think you will get enough traction to hurt anything on ice or snow? No . What do you think most things use for ice and snow USE? Gears I think not.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Trailblazer

I am sure a Mule diesel will out pull any rhino......I am sure the rhino is a better offroad machine
for that matter Kubota's vehicle would be even sweeter....... but being realistic wouldn't you want an atv so that you could use it year round. I know you aren't driving a rhino anywhere around where i live....its too big.
I think any big bore atv will suit you.... I prefer straight axles.......that polaris the had for the military looked sweet not sure if its available though.

Old 11-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer

Well I ride in back yard which is basically dense forest I have a hard enough time getting around on my prairie.
As it is Had to cut down many trees to get around.
I have not used mass trail systems so i don't know how wide they are.

I have been out to lake tahoe and sequioa national forest and the forests aren't as dense. So maybe it would be easier out that way.

Everyone is always comparing rhino to a mule so figured it was just as big ....my mistake

Old 11-12-2004, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

In the winter on Lake St Clair in Michigan, I see people, quads, snowmobiles and pickups pulling ice houses. Once the snow gets deeper than the skids on the ice house, nothing will move it. The most important aspect is traction, not pulling power. A 250cc Trailblazer with chains will out tow a Sportsman 800 without chains if you are on blue ice (no snow cover). A snowmobile with studs will probably outpull anything as it will have the best traction (just go to the lake drags sometime). If you want the ultimate go anywhere tow vehicle in the snow, just look at one of the utility snowmobiles that have hi-low transmissions and wide, long tracks.

Old 11-13-2004, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Really guys! All you need is a sport utility and the put tracks on it. Its as simple as that!!
HONDARULES

Old 11-13-2004, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Whats your top end like?? No thanks.

Old 11-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

With my tracks I read 75km/hr on my GPS.

Old 11-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

Big wide tracks arn't going to pull well. The weight is spread out too far and any spikes you have will only scratch the ice and not dig in. You want a skinny print with lots of weight and spikes to dig in. The spikes might be chains or studs or auctual screw in spikes whatever, you want the most weight or pounds per square inch to pull anything.

Quick Reply: Best ATV for pulling an Ice house