ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Utility ATVs (https://atvconnection.com/forums/utility-atvs/)
-   -   Most Bullet Proof Big Bore Utility on the Market!!! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/utility-atvs/179860-most-bullet-proof-big-bore-utility-market.html)

MNWolverine01 11-23-2004 02:02 PM

Most Bullet Proof Big Bore Utility on the Market!!!

MNWolverine01; maybe you/your dad just bought the wrong machine for yourselves. If you crave performance maybe you need to look at a good sports quad. A DS650, Predator or Raptor should pretty much destroy either the Polaris or the Wolverine in handling, acceleration and top speed.

Bryce,

I can understand how I may have came off sounding like I want lots of performance, which essentially I do, but at the same time half of the places my dad and I go riding you need 4x4. Up here in northern Minnesota, there is just a multitude of different riding terrains, pretty much everything but sand dunes. If I found a different quad today that had the charecteristics of the wolvy I like and a bigger motor I would put mine up for sale and get that one. At this point in time I haven't found that wheeler yet so I will continue to ride mine.

Also I guess I may make it sound like my dad is all about performance, which is not neccesarilly true, but at the same time he likes to be able to beat me. It is just more of a father/son friendly competitiveness. Instead of adding to the quad he has he just buys a new one. That must be why we have 7 different quads in our morton building/garage now. He didn't really need to buy the 600, I think the only reason he did is because the local dealer is our friend/neighbor and when he has a good deal my dad is the first person he calls. He didn't exactly say he didn't like the 600, but he told my little sister she could have it because he would rather drive his sportsman 500 or his big bear and that is pretty much what I got out of it. What I have said is just my impression of it.

Sooner or later when I start to make more money I may go ahead and get one of the sport bikes you spoke of to fly around on just as a second bike. Then again I could mod my wolvy to its full potential and it would be quite the sleeper sport bike. I kinda think it is more fun when people don't expect you to be real fast and then you blow them away. Just at this point in time I have other/more expensive things I need to save my money for.

Anyway you look at it, have fun and ride alot.

Ryan

BryceGTX 11-23-2004 10:57 PM

LOL, I hear you Ryan. Performance is a never ending spiral. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It can never be too fast; it can never have too much power. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I am more like you dad; if I want something faster or higher power, I'm more likely to just buy a new quad. Right now, I am quite content. Have a good day [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

american 12-22-2004 07:45 PM

I have an '04 sportsman 600. This machine is heavy but I'm sure it can keep up with your wolverine. I trail ride in wisconsin with 400ex's, preditors, suzuki 400's, banshee's, outlanders, scrambler's, grizzlies, you name it and my sportsman never gets left behind. At first this machine felt tall in the saddle but after sometime on the machine it feels just right.

ChaosInMt 12-22-2004 09:33 PM

All I am going to say ( and I run the local ATV club ride with the others clubs in the sorudng states atend ( or help out )alot of the major Jamborees have won 8 tropheys this year alone in pulling,bagging and drags) is that we toe back more Polaris than all the others combined it has always been that way ( they are so heavy you can hardly toe them home ) I would say they have the worst time between failure in the industry by a GREAT margin bar none.But the owners still love them I dont get it.

american 12-23-2004 01:09 AM

I currently have a polaris sportsman '04 600. This machine is built heavy. From the IRS, strong steel rims (which I have dented), stock goodyear mud style tires, heavyduty steel skid plates. When I looked for a new atv I had a 2000 artic cat 500 which was bulletproof but never in the same leage as a sportsman. In my riding area the mud and snow had ruts in them so deep I would bottom my frame out with all wheels spinning. The same holes would be easily conquered by sportsmans with high ground clearance. Polaris put the power in 4x4 atv's before anyone else did. They were always the fastest and best suspended in class. If you look in back issues the sportsmans dominated all other 4x4s but lacked reliability. That was then this is now. Polaris has been copied in many ways and now has competion. Polaris has also stepped up their reliability to be a top contender. Instead of saying why would anyone buy polaris I say why buy japanese. I can buy an excellent atv from minnesota.

MNWolverine01 12-23-2004 08:18 PM

American,

I never said that the 600 wasn't fast enough, I just didn't like the handling and the overall weight. I am sure speedwise you could keep up with my wolvy. I wouldn't doubt that for a second, but I would be impressed if you could keep up on the tight trails with lots of corners. The IRS you have makes it more difficult to get into and out of tight corners when you compare it to a solid rear axle. Everyone has there own preference and riding style. Hopefully that big polaris fits yours.

You also said why buy japanese when you can buy from MN. I am from MN and I buy japanese because it seems they are putting out a better product.

Ryan

BunnMan 12-24-2004 01:37 AM

I guess can't avoid the appearence of hopping on a train here...please don't take my comments personally Polaris owners, they are only directed towards the machines you ride and the shortcomings that I've experienced by the way I ride. To be fair, I haven't ridden any of Polaris' big bores, only the 400 Sportsman.

As far as the 4wd system...no good for me. I rolled the 400 due to the worst trait of the 4wd system popping up at the worst time. I was crossing a stream with about 2 1/2' high banks that were not "square" on the far side. By "square" I mean the way the front tires hit the far bank. The left front tire hit the bank first, the RF was barely making contact with it. Once the front end got up the bank a little and the rears got into the bottom of the stream the rears slipped a bit bringing the fronts into action and promptly rolling the thing over like a corkscrew. There was no better approach angle available. To the machine's credit it came out unhurt even after lying upside down in the stream (only about 8" deep). To the machine's discredit it took three men to roll it back over. That 4wd system just aint real effective in my eyes, maybe you could get used to it but I couldn't. When I want to crawl through some technical stuff like that stream I want nice predictable power output, not a sudden surge like those things put out once the rears break loose. In mud it's hard to tell from any other but that situation it sucked.

As far as the engine braking...even worse. That machine has scared me white knuckled a few times coming down slopes. It seems to do OK for a few feet then starts a whining noise (belt slippage?) and behaves like you just threw it in neutral. They keep telling me to bump the throttle to get the braking back but that aint a real settling concept to me when on a steep down slope.

Transmission/clutch...awful. I think my buddy my have a problem with his machine here. I can't believe the thing is working right when it tachs up to 6000rpm right away but takes off like it's pulling a sled. There's got to be a clutch mod or repair or something to fix this though the dealer can't seem to find anything wrong with it. I have heard from more than a few mechanics that the Polaris machines are hard on belts as well hence the lifetime warranty on them. It feels like it's got more power than it's allowing to the rears on a launch.

Headlights...inadequate. On the 400 I rode you had to choose between the two fender mounted lights OR the single light up on the bars, all three at once would have been my choice.

As for the comfort and ride...wonderful. The thing rides like it's on rails through bumpy, rocky trails . Only redeeming factor of it. Well, that and the fact that Polaris does seem to care for it's customers in giving them free labor to install belts for life. Unfortunately I have to attribute most of the cushy ride to the weight of the quad. The suspension is good and the bike handles nicely even considering the weight however.

Another of my buddies rides a Prarie 650. This is the machine that changed my mind about quads. I have always been a motorcycle fan. Even when my buddies started the move to quads I stayed with motorcycles. The only time I regretted it was hunting season. I could only afford one off road bike and the shear fun of blasting through the trails like nuts outweighed the utility of 4 wheels of guttless workhorse. The P650 changed all that for me. I was hooked in the first 200 yards. I settled on the BF750 because of the TOTALLY SICK power curve and more ground clearence than the Prarie. Give me that Prarie for a fast trip through the twisty trails at high speed any day though. Maybe my BF will improve it's high speed turning abilities with the C-series and Dirt Devils I'll be getting this weekend...that'd be dandy.

american...I don't know what the trails look like in Wisconsin but unless they're nothing but mud I can't see a Polaris 600, or any comparable utility by any manufacturer running with 400ex's, Predators, Scramblers, Banshees unless the folks on them bikes have no game at all or maybe they're just real nice fellas that don't want to leave you behind. As for Polaris and power...they are starting at a real disadvantage right out of the chute. You claimed them to be the fastest and best suspended. The new 800 EFI (and your 600) is about 160lbs. heavier than my BF750. It has a 760cc motor which puts it at 11cc more than my BF. Am I to believe that Polaris' newest and baddest sport utility makes enough power from a single 40mm TBI feeding a motor 11cc larger to be "faster" than my BF that's 160lbs. (20%) lighter with twin 34mm carbs? Hard to believe.

Syclone, I aint sayign a Brute is for you though I do love mine. From what I hear the KQ700EFI is reported to be a real showstopper across the scale only lacking in low end power compared to the V twins. I went for the Brute because I'm a power freak and I really like the looks of the beast. My steer for you is definatley away from Polaris and more toward a Kaw, KQ, or Griz.

God bless,
-BunnMan

JohnO 12-24-2004 11:34 AM

To get back to the original question...

They're all pretty good. When I wanted a quad to work on my farm, which is pretty much steep hills and rocks, I wanted something that could get over very rough ground, cross a creek without drowning out, pull a trailer loaded with wood, drag a log, and hopefully not rattle my guts out in the process. This was two years ago.

Ended up going with an Arctic Cat 500i, due to the high ground clearance, availability of a manual transmission, and the fact that it just looked so stout and well built up close. I didn't care about high end power as much as low end torque - where I'm going, the ground is so rough that a lot of power would just get you killed if you tried to use it. The 4wd system is simple but effective. Ground clearance is unbeatable, the best at any price. Rides like a Cadillac. I like to tow heavy loads, so a manual transmission was definitely preferable to a belt drive. Engine braking? It's a manual transmission. Put it in 1st low, and it just crawls down a hill. And no worries about drowning out a belt drive in deep water.

How has it lasted? In two years and 1500 miles of hauling me and loads of wood up and down the rocky hills of my farm, and a couple of Hatfield-McCoy trips as well, the Cat has been bulletproof. Never been stuck, never quit, never let me down. I'd ride it across the US tomorrow if there were a trail. (dream on, will you?) I've had two casualties - knocked a light bulb out when I was backing up and a branch got wedged under the front fender, and last winter, the sparkplug got fouled and it was hard to start until I replaced the plug.

Oh, and it's not hard to steer. Steering might be a tad bit heavier than my old big bear, but it doesn't jerk your arms around the way the bear did. The Cat 650 has a lot more power, but it also has a troublesome Kawasaki belt drive.

american 12-24-2004 01:16 PM

Syclone,
Polaris sportsman 500 was the fastest best suspended 4x4 until the new crop of big bores came out. Most people know the praire is the fastest now. To defend my riding buddies on sport quads we average about 35-40mph on the wooded trails we run. I run full throttle, brake, and steer while they shift, clutch, brake, side around corners. We are 30-40 yr olds with some spunk left in all of us. If we all out raced back to the trucks I would probably lose with a good fight. When running a 640lb stock machine with a '6"1, 220lb rider and 20lb winch believe me when I say I use all the power its got.

BunnMan 12-25-2004 10:09 AM

american,

What did you do to the SP600 to loose so much weight? That bike is delivered stock at 720lbs. dry weight. That's amazing you were able to find 80lbs. to cut...good work!

Or maybe you're numbers are off?

God bless and Merry Christmas!

-BunnMan

american 12-25-2004 05:19 PM

You are correct. My 04 sportsman 600's owners manual states 740lbs dry weight with goodyear mud style tires. The 04.5's are 720lbs dry weight with the lighter radial tires. They also seemed to gain weight for 05 with more aggressive tires being stock again. Thanks for the correction. 600lbs or less seems to be the target weight for japaneze quads to be legally imported if I remember right. Some one could correct me if I am wrong. This must be why they put on such wimpy tires, wheels and skid plates. There is nothing worse than being miles from nowhere and get a flat with wimpy tires. Polaris equips it's machines with premium stock tires which are going to be heavy when they accually have plies and tread. (04 sportsman 600 /stock tire 3/4" tread 4ply, goodyear) If you ride in rocky terrian you know of sidewall cuts, dented rims, and ground clearance. Even with 11.25" of ground clearance stock, I aproach rocks in the trail that make me pucker up. Thankyou polaris for putting extra heavy skids plates on to protect my $6000+ quad.