ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Utility ATVs (https://atvconnection.com/forums/utility-atvs/)
-   -   Most Bullet Proof Big Bore Utility on the Market!!! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/utility-atvs/179860-most-bullet-proof-big-bore-utility-market.html)

Syclone 11-12-2004 03:43 PM

Most Bullet Proof Big Bore Utility on the Market!!!

Each manufacturer has some type of small glitch in their machines.
(These are only a few reports taken from each Manufacturer’s Forum)

Polaris –Front freewheels steep grades.
Yamaha – Boiling gas
Kawasaki – First year glitches (a few with water-in-the-breather at low depths)
Honda – No Factory Front Diff Lock
Suzuki – Reverse Failures
Bombardier – Very Heavy
Arctic Cat – Hard to Steer

All manufacturers DO have their fair share of problems. Some are extreme others are not.
With that out of the way, here’s the question:
Which ATV manufacturer has the least amount of MAJOR problems with their Big Bores (motors, axles, suspension, transmission)?
In the spring, of 2005, I’m buying a NEW Big Bore.

My Mandatory Requirements:

Very, Very Dependable
Best 4x4 System Available
Huge Amounts of HP (you can NEVER have too much)
Capable of Treading Deep Water
Descending Steep Grades
Climbing Steep Grades (without the front end trying to come up)
Sand Friendly (dried lake bed)
Comfortable Ride

I’ll be riding a lot more next year and I need something to fit these requirements. All input is greatly appreciated.

Sy

shadowmaker 11-12-2004 04:31 PM

I bought the 05 Grizzly. The boiling gas hasnt been an issue at all for me and havent heard of it on many 04 and on none of the 05s (so far). Snorkel the tranny, pipe it, re-jet it, put at least 26" tires on it and hold on.

You re not going to find a "perfect" big bore. For me, it came down to the artic cat and the Grizzly. I chose the Grizzly, no real big reason either. I just liked the reputation, mudding ability, power, and the ride. And I havent regretted it one bit either.

Brad

FormulaLT1 11-12-2004 05:08 PM

Polaris Sportsman 800 twin.

biohaZ 11-12-2004 05:48 PM

Originally posted by: FormulaLT1
Polaris Sportsman 800 twin.
amen

shadowmaker 11-12-2004 07:29 PM

No 4 wheel engine braking is a big draw back on the Sportsman 800.

Brad

Dirtydude 11-12-2004 07:29 PM

ya you can erase that "boiling gas" issue from the Grizzlys, they don't boil the gas anymore.

Very, Very Dependable - I think they all dependable now if you get something thats been out ahwile. Yahama seems to have the best tranny, all of them Mechanics I talked to pointed to Yahama for duribility and dependibility.
Best 4x4 System Available - Difflock a must so Honda is out. Hopefully the Polaris AWD won't bugger up like thier old 4x4 systems after time, one wheel locked and the other not type thing. AWD is a new system though out just this year.
Huge Amounts of HP (you can NEVER have too much) This tells me you want to smoke your buddies, prolly want BF or Polaris 800 for drag racing.
Capable of Treading Deep Water - Any 4x4 will do this, but IRS quads would be the nautral pick here.
Descending Steep Grades - big downfall for Polaris here, that single lever braking will leave you sweating on steep downhills and going backwards if you don't make it to the top is nothing but scary!
Climbing Steep Grades (without the front end trying to come up) - I don't know if one is better than another, they'll all go over backwards if you let them.

Sand Friendly (dried lake bed) - All of them will travel a dry lakebed no probs.
Comfortable Ride- all of them, IRS quads are all soft riding for the most part.

So you want an IRS quad with tons of power, sounds like P800, BF, or Griz.

so I rank them

Dependability Griz #1 Polaris #2 BF #2 or 3 Griz has been out ahwile and I know of no problems for 2005. Polaris might be dependable but the 800 is a new model and needs time tested. BF is also a new model and needs time testing also.

Best 4x4 system. Griz #1 BF #1 or 2 Polaris #3 The Griz is bullet proof and you can choose what you want when you want it. The BF I don't know much about. The Polaris has that AWD crap and it chooses when you are in 4x4 or not.

Huge amounts of HP #1 Polaris #1 or 2 BF #3 Griz I doubt the Griz will drag race like the BF or the P800 with it's 660 engine. I dont' know if the P800 will keep up to the BF or not because of it's massive weight disadvantage. The Grizz is the lightest and I bet it would put down faster lap times in the woods though, or track. But not in a straight out drag race.

Deep Water I dont' know which quad would go in the deepest water, I bet the P800 would do the best in a river though because it's weight would keep it planted and it wouldn't float down stream while the Grizz would prolly be better in a soft bottom mud hole, won't sink as far. Any of them would get your butt wet though.

Descending Steep Grades - Anything but Polaris, The Griz has all wheel engine braking and seperate brake controls. Dunno what the BF has.

Climbing steep grades - anything but Polaris, if you don't make it to the top then imagine coming back down in reverse with one brake lever! The BF would prolly be #1 cause of the HP?? but the Grizz climbs awesome as well.

Dried lake bed? if this is where you drag race then BF or P800 then Grizz, need lotsa HP to drag in the sand

Comfy ride - I'm willing to bet that new P800 will be the sofa here. No idea what the BF would be like but I bet it's a bit stiffer and the Grizz is a bit stiffer than Polaris also.

All three Quads would suit your purposes, some of your "must haves" counterdict themselves so your like anyone else here, there is no "perfect quad" you'll have to sort you prioritys and pick the one that has the most bonus in the areas you feel are most important. Go sit on them all and try to ride them all, if you were to give them each a decent ride then I bet one of them would put a slightly bigger smile on your face then the others. The best thing you can do is take your time, don't rush into a purchase.

[edit] oh crap I forgot that new king Quad 700, I bet it would have some very high marks in here too! Don't forget to sit on that one also. I dont know anything about it but I bet it would be a nice machine.

Syclone 11-13-2004 01:16 PM

Thanks for the input!!

I like the thought of the awesome power from the 800 Liberty engine but my Sportsman has the same front wheel engine braking as the 800…. None. This seems to be the only major problem with the Sportsman. Which can be scary down long, steep grades. If only the 800 Sportsman had the Visco Loc system from Bombardier. Some say this is the best 4x4 System on the market.

I don’t know enough about the BF to make a decision, yet. But if it has the same belt system as the Prairies, I don’t think I can handle the noise. The Prairies I’ve rode with, the belt was louder than the motor.

What about the axles on the Grizzly? Can they handle 27” tires plus tow a heavy load? I know when the 600 and 700 Polaris’ came out, the axles were upgraded to handle the power and weight of larger tires (Goodyear Raw Hide). What about the Griz being top heavy? How much truth to this?

Dirtydude, the Grizzly weight problem (not heavy enough) could be solved with 27” Mudzillas, if the axles could handle it.

I should’ve explained the lakebed a little better. In the winter, the power company drops the water level anywhere between 7 and 10 feet on our lake so it’s actually a giant mud hole with sand. Awesome mudding with a little sand mix!!!

As for the KQ, I’ve seen a few posts about the Reverse going out. I’m sure it’s only a first year glitch for the new KQ but enough to make me steer clear for a year or two to see if Suzuki addresses the issue.

shadowmaker 11-13-2004 01:47 PM

The Brute does have the Prairie tranny. One of the reasons I didnt wait on it and didnt get the Arctic Cat.

The axle on the 04 and 05 are better, 03 was the problem yr. There are alot of guys running 27"+ on them with no problems.

I heard so much crap about the Grizz being top heavy, I almost didnt buy it. And I ve found out its exactly that, a load of crap. Yes it did feel a little tippy with the stock tires but thats the first thing you should replace anyways. I put 26x10s on the front and 26x 12s on the rear and I love it. Notice I said a "little" tippy, not a lot. They say the BF is very top heavy.

If mud is your game, the Grizz is the name to handle it.

I went thru the same decision as you at the first of the yr. I almost waited on the BF but the tranny changed my mind.

Its not the fastest, its not the prettiest, its not the smoothest riding. But when things get nasty, so does the Grizz.

Dont take my word for it, go ride a few. Plus there are rumors of a 800 Grizz mid yr. And unlike others in the market, it ll be a true 800, not rounded up to make the #s look good.

Brad

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot 11-13-2004 02:29 PM

The new '05 Rubicons have front differential disconnect (ala2-4-2) so despite the fact that the engine is "only" a 500, the Honda, to my mind is at least on the running for bulletproof big bores.

FormulaLT1 11-13-2004 02:42 PM

don't get a grizzly 660, they've fallen behind in the power end, which is why yamaha will be coming out with a new bigger one soon i'm guessing. the rubicon doesn't have a front diff lock and is way to expensive. the brute is the machine i'd have cause of it's raw power which is what i most like. the 800 seems to be the best for what you want, and i've been down hills on my sportsman too, i didn't think it was that hard either, just lightly touch the brake while descending, i even like the single lever breaking system, less levers to mess with.