Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Manual or Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual or Automatic?

I am just trying to figure out why the market is becomed overwhelmed with automatics. I ride a manual tranny and I wouldn't want to switch to an auto. My conclusion is that the number of new riders is on the way up and auto is just easier for less experienced riders, but I am not saying that is the only reason.

My question is What do you prefer, why, and what year did you start riding?

I started riding atv's in 1984

Ryan

Old 12-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

I started out on a 1980-something honda trx70 in 1987. It is a manual shift, and still running great for my 7 year old son. I have owned both autos and manuals, and I prefer the manuals. I always have and I dont think any quad would change my mind. I just love to have the abilty to shift. I think the autos are geared towards people that just want to get on and go, not having to worry about shifting.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

I have never owned 4WD quad but am in the market for one. I also would prefer manual tranny. I actually would also like to have std manual clutch also but no option here.
Some time ago there was thread on reliability of std trannys in big bores. Most of comments was about Vinson 500 electric shift. Another good option is now the Foreman 500 (475cc) ES or foot shift.
I have been riding motorcycles since Nebuchadrezzar and been riding quads one year.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:07 PM
K2
Trailblazer

I'm probably considered one of the newer riders you refer to... I ride a Rubicon and LOVE the auto tranny. I have been riding since about '98 and started on a 450 Foreman that has a manual shift. It was fun shifting and all, but once I got the Ruby it was no contest (for me).

When my buddies, who still have 450s, are stuck in the mud, creek or whatever and trying to downshift without getting soaked, I just gas it and go on by. Same applies with climbing a hill... I almost ran over the 450s as they downshifted to climb a steep incline and I was gaining speed on the way up. I often find myself waiting on the manual bikes in these type of situations while I'm ready to just go.

Lastly, I plow with my quad and find the auto much easier to use - especially with the cumbersome reverse mechanism common to manual Hondas.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first ATV I rode was I guess a ATC, a Honda 250 Big Red i do believe. The second one was a Suzuki 125. The third one was a Honda 400, that one just about convience me never to ride again, too much work and one hard ride. To me it just wasn't fun. Then I rode a 1991(?) Polaris Trail Boss(?). It was the first year for the auto trans, 350 liquid cooled 2-stroke 4wd, what a blast!!!!! It put the fun into ATVs.

In 2001 after looking and riding several new ATVs, Polaris, Yamaha, and Honda, we purchased a new Rubicon, the Hondamatic Trans in the cats meow. More fun than a barrel of monkeys.

No manuals for me, and no belts either.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ive been ridding dirtbikes since i was 11 and have competed in a few cross crountry races, ive owned 3 dirtbikes and im pretty bad *** with a clutch and 5 gears next to my boots theres pretty mucn nothing i cant do cross country wise though, i would have gotten into MX but just not my style, other then that, ive owned 2 4 wheelers, both automatic, mainly because i do alot of off roading and need 4x4 and a winch when ever neccisary, id really like to get a preditor, but considaring i just bought a SP800, im out of money for a while.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Hello MNWolverine01

I think the automatics are so popular because when you get into difficult situations, it is much easier to control the quad with an automatic. I don't think it has much to do with new riders. Look at your quad, it is an automatic clutch; you are half way there. I have been off roading with jeeps for over 10 years now. Our first Jeep was a manual. I wouldn't have a manual again. It is so much easier in the mud with an auto jeep. It is so much easier in the dunes with an auto-jeep. As I go up a big dune (say the first hill at Silver Lake) it wasn't possible to downshift the manual jeep without losing momentum and stopping. With the auto jeep, I wind it out in 3rd just before I hit the bottom of the dune. Half way up, it downshifts to 2nd. Just before I crest the top, it drops into 1st. Tires are spinning, the engine is screaming and sand is flying. That's the only way to get over the top.

I know that the prevailing sport quads are manuals with manual clutches. But we are seeing a change even in this area, look at the KFX700. Last time we were out on the trails. My wife and I stopped and we were talking with 3 guys. One had a Grizzly, one had a Recon and the last guy had a YFZ450. It was a particularly slow twisty area of about 5 miles. I remarked how nice his quad looked. He said he hasn't had it out of first gear and he was constantly slipping the clutch. He asked me if I wanted to trade quads for the ride back, because his buddies wouldn't trade.

My experience with Jeeps is the big reason I have an automatic on my quad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 12-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

I started riding dirtbikes when i was 9. Started riding atv's in 2001. I will always have a dirtbike and of course they are manual. My first atv was a 2001 Mojave manual shift. I prefer both autos and manual shifts. Dirtbikes I have no choice and like I said, I will always have a dirtbike cause I race. I sold my mojave and bought a 2004 V-Force which is an auto. Its definately weird not having to shift but I love auto's!! I wasn't a big believer but when i first drove one, I loved it. I compete in the mud bogs and you can't really compete well with a manual so the auto is the way to go. Just pin it and hang on! I'll always have an auto and a manual. I like them both.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

well i own one of both... i can tell you from experence that auto is EASY, and alot of people like it because u dont have to worry about anything gears and what now. also i get to be lazy lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think that one reason for so many auto's is that the auto's are attractive to the beginners. There are so many people out there that are afraid to drive a standard. (car, truck or whatever) There are also a lot of people that just don't want to bother shifting. Some people like everything as easy as possible. Push a button and go.

I have also 4 wheeled with a few jeeps. My first jeep was a CJ7 with an automatic. The rest were standards from then on. One reason was because it's darn hard to pop start a automatic jeep. If you have a little starting problem. You can just pop start a standard jeep. Another reason is because you have to use the brakes a lot more with an automatic. After driving all over a mountain going through mud holes. If you exit the trails on top of the mountain. Your brakes are going to be wet. You could lose your brakes on the way down off the steep mountain. If you are driving a standard, you could just shift down and let the gears hold you back. Now I have a automatic truck. I really don't like using the brakes so much. A couple weeks ago I was driving down off a steep mountain. Same one I used to jeep on. I ended up shifting it into 4 wheel low to go down the steep parts because I didn't want to burn up the brakes. If my truck was a standard I could have just shifted it into a gear that would have held me back. (Like 1st gear)

Different people are going to like different things. I like to be able to shift down so I don't have to use my brakes a lot. Seeing that I have drum brakes. (on the Foreman) I don't ever want them to wear out. Mainly because I don't like working on drum brakes. I hardly ever use my brakes while riding my Foreman. Unless I am riding down a really super steep decline. Then I might use my brakes a little bit. Like the declines where you're in first gear and the tires are skidding because it's so steep.

Different people ride in different areas. Where I ride, I like to have a semi-auto. It is a pain to use a clutch all the time in the tight slow riding woods. Most quads with clutches are geared too high for where I ride. I like to control the quad instead of just riding the quad. I like like to be able to choose the right gear for every little spot I'm riding.

Once in a while, I read where people don't want a standard shift because they want to keep their dainty feet out of the water. What are you people doing out on the trails? Mud and water are part of the fun. Why even bother riding near mud and water if you're afraid of getting wet? Are you going to melt?

I am Coyotechaser and I like semi-auto's. I've been riding off and on for about 22 years. Now I feel old.

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic?