Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

grizzly 660 King Quad 700 or prairie 700

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 04:00 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grizzly 660 King Quad 700 or prairie 700

The grizz is a fast quad but I am not impressed with its low end power and throttle response, maybe the ones I have ridden weren't jetted right or somthing, they weren't mine.
The prairie 700 will be fast with good grunt but the rear suspension cant take any weight, the single shock isn't ment for work, you can push it right to the ground. Plus 2 carbs equals twice the jetting and twice the headache, and the tranny whine will drive you up the wall IMO
I haven't seen a King Quad yet so I don't know, sounds like a nice machine, with the exception of the tires.
Now you didn't mention Polaris but IMO I feel that it is probably your best WORK machine, the suspension can take a lot of weight, the PVT transmission is famous for pulling weight, the extra weight of the machine adds to the tow rating and traction. They handle well and have great tires only drawback is the lack of a backup starter on some models but the don't have one have a huge battery. The 500 HO is a torquey little bugger and has a recoil starter but won't be as fast on the straightaways as the obviously larger quads.
I do a lot of hunting so I needed a proven reliable quad that could handle a load, thats why I picked the 500 HO, I went a little crazy with some of the aftermarket parts but thats not because the quad wasn't good enough, its because I can't leave anything alone, always have to soup it up.

Brambles

Old 01-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

What are you talking about. Even polaris goes back to the solid rear axle design for heavy work quads. Why because a SRA is a better work setup than a IRS. Plus brokerking said he was going to drag logs not haul them on the rear rack. On another note when pulling a trailer the SRA does not squat like the IRS design. The last time I tried to move a empty trailer around the barn with polaris 500 I had I could not even get the jack out so I had to grab my little bear tracker 250 to get it done. I am also hoping Polaris has made some real improvments on there belt drives since the last one I owned. In the past Polaris has had a very unreliable belt drive and even more so when put to use pulling loads.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider

500HO .vr. beartracker is like saying "BIGSHOW" .vr. jeff gordon.......... no contest......

Old 01-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

If you read what I said you saw it was nothing to do with power the IRS sagged so bad I could not get the jack off the trailer. besides moving a 18 foot empty car haller around a barn does not take that much power, you missed the point all together. Here is a link that shows even polaris goes back to SRA for heavy loads.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Trailblazer

Last time I looked the trailer ball is attatched to the axel which is directly mounted to the rims, so how could the shock make any difference? I am not a wrencher but I can plainly see through brand loyal bias statements.
Let s not forget the Kawi shock has a piggy back reserve to allow for different loads needed for work applications.

Personally, I think most big bore quads can work all day without issues including your beloved Polaris as tires will provide the biggest impact as to pulling loads up hills etc.

Old 01-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

First of all loading up the racks on a quad has nothing to do with IRS or SRA, it all depends on how stiff the shocks are! towing and hitch weight are a difrent storry. sure the irs squats wen you put a hevy trailer on. but that better then your axel bending!!!!!!!!!!I am not a polaris lover i just think they made a good quad wen they made the SPORTSMAN line.they have a work line and they dont go much over 30mph so that the best thing for work. the regular sportsman 6X6 is a good work horse too!

Old 01-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

I am not bashing polaris, I am not sure why we are even on the topic since the the thread originator didn't even ask about polaris. However the only axles I have ever had to replace were both on a sportsman 500 1 front and 1 rear. The rear got broke getting stuck in the mud, i have know idea how that happened. There are a lot more moving parts on an IRS to break so its more likely that a u joint or axle will fail on a IRS long befor an SRA style will bend. The ATP 500 I linked befor should have the same if not higher top speed than the Sportsman 500 provided its not governed in some manner. The ATP may even be a good one to look at for Brokerking, but he didn't ask about polaris or smaller cc quads so I didn't bring it up, plus the less than good history that I have experinced with the Polaris belt drives.I have a hard time recomending them for heavy work since the heavier the loads are the harder it is on the belt. I am expecting better results from my new sportsman 800's belt drive or it won't be around long in my stable.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

For the most part.. those quads are fairly similar... I myself favor the grizzly, just because of the ergos... the cadilac feel of the suspension... and ease of use and ability to mod. It tends to climb hills better than similar quads it's size... (especially if they don't have IRS) but a lot of that depends on driver/tires/differential lock. The shocks don't squat as low on the grizzly like they do on some of the other quads out there.

If you're worried about the low end power of a grizz... buy the kodiak 400 clutch weights and put them on... also the reverse rev limiter override switch mod is a must... really helps when towing w/ the winch, or trying to pull someone otta the mud. The grizz also has a well placed drain plug for the belt. Much better than I've seen on a couple of the other quads out there (especially the artic cat)... I've used my grizz to pull plenty of trees otta the woods for bonfires on the beach, and never had a problem... Probably any of them will work for you... It just depends on what you're use to, and what you like... I would try to ride each of them, to get a feel... Yamaha seems to really have done their homework when they thought up the newer grizzly design.... All of the other machines seem like they just missed one or 2 things...

The suzuki ute's that I've been around always seem to have belt issues... (mostly the twin peaks and the king quads)

Old 05-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

Any of the Kawis's will do exactly what you need. For dragging logs and stuff you will not have any problem with the belt and that low end V-Twin power will be nice.

I am Kawie guy so I am going to suggest the BF650 or P700 for a SRA bike and the BF650i for a IRS bike although I have heard some good things about the King Quad. Both the BF650 and P700 are very, very close in power but have different plastics. You may save some $$$ by going with the BF650 instead of the P700 and you will not lose and power, durability or realiability and will gain a great looking bike. LOL!

I use my BF650 around the ranch and for when I am hunting. I have loaded that thing down with feed and corn and stuff so that it had no suspension at all. I have also pulled alot of trailer and i have yet to bend an axle, smoke a belt, or not been able to make it up a hill. When I hunt during grain season I pull a dog trailer that typically has 3-5 guys on it, 8+ dogs, ice chest, and hogs stacked on it and my bike has yet to skip a beat and I am getting very good belt life.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Since this thread was started well over a year ago, I hope brokerking has made his choice buy now and is out injoying it.

Quick Reply: grizzly 660 King Quad 700 or prairie 700