Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

wiring a winch need help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005 | 09:54 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default wiring a winch need help please

need help trying to wire winch no instructions go figure
wishI really new it was given to me and cant read any name on it other than I know its a 2000 lbs winch. the winch wireing has two red one black with a looks like a 40 am breaker and a rocker switch that has has 4 prongs on it something about M on -off-on m switch this is wear i need the most help
I think its a super winch

Old 01-26-2005 | 10:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My author icon has a picture of a winches wiring. But it's really hard to see. I have the directions right in front of me.

Old 01-26-2005 | 10:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Is there a circuit breaker? Anything besides the winch, wires, switch and inline fuse? These directions are for a winch with four wires. Do you only have 3 wires? If it is a Super winch. You can look a directions on the site. There are other brands that look just like a Super Winch.

Old 01-26-2005 | 11:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It doesn't look like Superwinch carries the 2000 lb winch anymore.

Superwinch You can download manuals.

Old 01-27-2005 | 08:47 AM
|
Trailblazer

ok i think from looking at there web page it must be circut breaker instead fuse i thought was 40 amp fuse but its prombly the circit breaker . i think i figured it out took a ohm meter and check the found which two spots bring it in and out other have to be power and ground now would you ground it to your fram ot to the battrey ground .

Old 01-27-2005 | 08:50 AM
Trailblazer

Do you have a digital camera? If so, email me pictures of what you have. I doubt it's a circuit breaker, most likel a solenoid or contactor.

Old 01-27-2005 | 09:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Certain winches like the Tusk 2000 lb from Rocky Mtn. have a circuit breaker. It looks like a little silver box with two bolt post with two nuts. The winch wires will go to the switch. (winch with 4 wires) Then two other wires will go from the switch back under the plastic to the battery. If it is a circuit breaker, the positive wire will bolt to the breaker. Then the circuit breaker will bolt to the battery. The negative wire bolts to the negative post. You will need to wrap the circuit breaker with electrical tape.

Old 01-27-2005 | 09:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Does there happen to be numbers by each post on the switch? This manual shows the numbers 1, 3, 4, and 6.

black wire from battery to switch terminal 1
black wire from motor to switch terminal 3
red wire from motor to terminal 6
red wire from circuit breaker/battery to terminal 4

Old 01-27-2005 | 09:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

With the circuit breaker. There is a piece of metal that is shaped like a "P". It bolts onto the circuit breaker and then the other end bolts to the battery. (+)

Old 01-27-2005 | 09:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The switch in the picture has two post towards one end of the switch. Then it has two that are around half way to 3/4 up the back of the switch. Those two look parallel to each other.

If you hold the switch up. The two wires from the winch go to the terminals closest to the edge. (holding with these terminals down) Positive on right and negative on left. The wires from the battery go to the terminals that are either towards the middle or 3/4 up the back of the switch. (holding with terminals up) The positive wire to the right side and the negative to the left. Both the negatives will be on one side of switch and both positives will be on the other side.
(Once again this is a 4 terminal switch with 4 wires)

Quick Reply: wiring a winch need help please