Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

help with what 4 weeler to buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with what 4 weeler to buy

Hey, i am looking for a four wheeler that is over 300cc,manual shift with 4by 4. I like some speed but it doesnt reallly matter. I like offroading and haul some heavy things some time. MY riding consits of climbing ditches and it needs to be able to go through snow. If you could help it would be appreciated.

Thanks,[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yamaha big bear 400 or honda foreman 450

Old 03-26-2005, 01:46 AM
Trailblazer

Two great choices , I second the above post .

Old 03-27-2005, 12:47 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds like an Arctic cat is the machine for you . I wouldn't even consider the Bigbear or the Honda . They are both time tested well built machines but are lacking in features . The Arctic cat beats them in every category . The 4 & 500cc Arctic cats are both available with manual tranny's and have more ground clearance (12.0 inches) , more suspension travel (10 inches all around) , more rack capacity (100lbs front 200lbs rear) , Larger fuel tank , More towing capacity (1100lbs ) and the two biggest advantages the Cat has over the Honda or the Yamaha is independent rear suspension and a locking front differential for true fourwheel drive . There is also other nice features like the 2 inch reciever hitch on the back , disc brakes front and rear , full steel floorboards , two year warranty vs most other brands 6 month and finally the MRP rack system .It is one of the best idea's to come along in a while for ATV's and I cant believe other company's have not tried to do something similar to compete .
Take a look at http://www.arcticcat.com/atvs/ and compare the spec's for yourself . I am not just saying all this to be brand loyal, last july I was in the market for a atv and before really doing any research i assumed i would buy a Honda because I have had several Honda dirt bikes over the years and they were all bullet proof but once i started comparing features and price Honda went to the bottom of my list . Find an Arctic cat dealer near you and take a look at them in person and i am sure you will see that there is not really any other machine that compares ...

Old 03-27-2005, 03:23 AM
Range Rover

yes, if you're looking for hauling stuff, I'd check out Cat. 300# rack capacity, high ground clearence and a lot of suspension travel make it a good trial blazing machine. The 4 wheel independent suspension is nice too. Sorry to repeat what's written above, but at least check them out.

Old 03-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yeah ied go w/ a big bear 400 4x4 , great machine !

Old 03-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

The Bigbear would be good if its only pupose was maybe some work around the farm and some moderate trail riding but without a locking front diff or low range and having a solid rear axle and only 9.7 inches of ground clearance I would hardly consider it an (ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE) compared to some of the competition of today.. Sorry if i have offended anybody , 7 to 10 years ago the Bigbear and even the Honda's were some of the best machines, but in today's market they are antiques as far as i am concerned .

Old 03-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

when you shift it the 1st gear is a low range ! and 9.7 of travel aint that bad

Old 03-30-2005, 04:00 AM
Trailblazer

Okay so it has a low first gear , but it still does not have independent rear suspension or a front
diff lock.. I am not trying to say the Bigbear is junk , in fact i think they are a very tough machine,,, but i think there is better choices for a trail machine. Mckay asked for a opinion on a quad that does well at everything . If he asked for strictly a work machine then i would agree that basically any 4x4 quad with a manual tranny would do the trick but he also mentioned trail riding , ditch crossing and snow. Any machine that has a solid rear axle like the Bigbear wont be able to follow IRS equipped machine do to lack of ground clearance and without diff lock it's like comparing a 2wd to a 4wd .

Old 04-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer

thank you slimegreen cat. He is right and gets what kind of 4 wheeler i want

Ethyan

Quick Reply: help with what 4 weeler to buy