Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Help With ATV Purchase.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With ATV Purchase.....

If you are set on Suzuki why not look at the Suzuki Twin Peaks 700. Its priced in the middle of the vinson and the KQ. If you didn't know the Twin peaks is a IMO better looking Prairie. DW just handed the throne back to it rightfull owner in this months KQ vs Prairie shoot out and stated that its still the" best 4x4 money can buy" The vinson's are nice I would have looked hard at buying one if they would have dropped in the KQ's powertrain in it. I just don't care for the tippy feel the IRS gives the KQ. I wanted a EFI for colorado and the Polaris felt more stable than the KQ. I will agree with DW 100% in that I also think the P700 or Twin peaks rides every bit as smooth as the KQ or the BF750 for that matter. I think the BF750 and the KQ suspensions are set so stiff to give them some stability that they are both harsher riding than the Twin Peaks.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

Isn't that really just a Prairie? The v-twin has a different belt drive than the Duramatic, right?

Old 04-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

yes , that was why I called it a better lookimg prairie, and why I was talking about the DW article that put it back on top.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Trailblazer

Unless you have ridden them all......I wouldn't exclude any of them. Ride all of them. narrow it down to a couple you really like, then go to that area and ask the people that own that specific quad what they like or dislike about it....or what they would change. Asking for as comparison like this is really just opinions from owners and some of us are stuborn....why isn't the Polaris Sportsman 500 on your list anyway....don't listen to that reliability crap...that is old news....oops excuse me....back to your question...you also didn't elaborate on use...trails...dunes....towing? etc....

Old 04-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

Here are two articles that are informative for comparing machines. The ATV Rider article is starting to get dated, but the comparisons are still valid IMO.

2003 ATV Rider 7 Quad Showdown
ATV Television 500 cc Class Comparison

As for my 2 cents, I really enjoy my Vinson. One can always use more power, so if there is a bigger CC machine that you like, it may be worth considering. As for IRS v SRA, it really boils down to personal preference. In general IRS will be a bit more tippy and not corner as well; though, it will ride a bit more comfortably, particularly on slower trails. SRA will be a bit more stable in off camber and in cornering and a bit more jumpy in the rear end when doing whoops or bumps at speed. I'm fine with SRA and have no complaints about ride comfort or handling. Also, I would not get too caught up in the locker v. no-locker debate. The limited slip 4wd machines go 95% of the places that locked front differential machines do. Typically, I use 4wd as a preventative measure, more than a recovery once I'm stuck. I probably could go through most of the stuff in 2wd and be fine, but since it has 4wd might as well use it in the muck, slush and hills.

Old 04-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

just don't read the ATV TV best of 2004 or you might switch brands....LOL

Old 04-19-2005, 09:32 PM
FYN
Trailblazer

Or you could be an oddball like me and get a quest 650, I haven't had any problems with mine over 2 years other than the usual wear and tear. Plus the guards are steel rather than a lot of the plastic I see out the, well protected and rides awesome