Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

is it possible to make auto into manual?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it possible to make auto into manual?

Is it possible to make a honda rancher 350 (regular shift) into a manual transmission with a clutch? I remember reading something a few years back about a change someone did like this for utility racing. I think it was like mike penland or something. Not that i will probally do it but i just wanna know if its is possible and how?

Old 04-18-2005, 10:28 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want to make your autoclutch Rancher into a fully manual (hand clutch)? Thing is, lots of racers do the oposite (the Rekluse clutch mod for example), ie. turn their manual clutches into autoclutches.

Or, do you have an ES and want to get rid of it? (That I could understand!)

Old 04-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Trailblazer

yes make my autoclutch rancher (footshift model) into a fully manual with hand clutch. Its not that i am gonna but is it possible and how?

Old 04-18-2005, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe if you took parts off a 400ex it might work with a lot of work.

Old 04-20-2005, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

well if you could do that , that would be a waste of money because an manual is cheaper than a automatic so if you buy the automatic and change it to a manual you justed wasted around 600 to 1000 dollars

Old 04-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Its possible,to add a hand clutch, but a few parts would need to be swapped out, and the tough one would be the engine case.
You actually have a manual clutch, its actuated "automaticly" by lifting or depressing the shifter. If you want to blip the throttle, for downshifts, to match rpm...you can do it with the clutch you got. As you downshift, just hold the shifter down, blip the throttle, and release. When the shifter is either up or down, the clutch pack is disengaged, same as if you had a clutch lever on the handlebars. After a while, youll get the hang of it, and itll sound and act just like you have a hand clutch. I used to do it all the time on my ozark...loads of fun. Too bad the honda es models dont allow this to happen.
You can also use it for doing burnouts, but its tough on stuff...start in nuetral, then lift the shifter and hold it up, rev it up, and let the shifter go...and hold on. hehe[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Range Rover

if you got the $,you can do it....
anythings possible with enuff"$.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 04-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

rancherripper, Great question. Too bad you did not get any factual answers. I've often wondered the same thing. There could be many occaisions when it would be very handy to have manual clutch. Such as when slightly bogging in 2nd and you need a little hit without the big drop to first or needing to lighten the front end in a hurry with trail obstacles. I also believe there are many riders who would just prefer a manual clutch if they had the option. I suppose if guys have not experienced normal clutch slipping to gain a performance edge they will never understand your point. Saying its easier to ride with auto clutch is a real cop out. I still believe it could be done pretty easily with existing Honda and aftermarket parts and a little machining and welding but there is just not enough demand for anyone to try and offer commercially. Most of these are sold for utility purposes rather than recreational use and that reduces interest in improving performance for most owners. I also believe for many riders that one of the Ranchers could be the perfect trail quad but they don't consider it because of some odd conception that this is no good for anything but work plus that anything under 650cc is just for kids.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

yes i agree with you and thanks for the reply. Where i ride, 2wd sport quad is not an option because of hills/ ruts/rocks/ mud/water / you get the idea. The rancher is a very good trail machine adn i think would be way better with a manual clutch. i find it most difficult with the stock clutch/shifting when going up large sand or gravel hills or piles. I usually fall behind my riding buddies because of the fact that they have automatics, not because of engine size or power, but they can usually get farther or higher. Like i hit the bottom of a hill in 3rd, and then halfway up must shift into 2nd and this is where is get stuck. A manual clutch would dominate here. I also think it would be more efficient power wise and would really wake up the rancher. I am looking for info on doing this because i know it has been done to a utility machine (i remember reading about it) . Especially costs and parts involved. the left side brake is not even necessary and could eaisly be swapped for a clutch so this makes it even better. A manual would definately help with mudding and traction control also. IN slick conditions, when you stay on the gas and shift down, the wheels lose traction and this is bad especailly when hill climbing.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

i also have almost no experience of how manual clutches work compared to the automatic i have now, but i am sure i could learn by studing them. And i am sure it was mike penland who did this to a kawi.

Quick Reply: is it possible to make auto into manual?