Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Aftermarket Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005 | 12:20 AM
|
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default Aftermarket Suspension?

Honda springs their utes very stiff (with a very fast rebound), to maintain the load bearing capacity. I don't really have a need to carry heavy weights, so I am wondering if it is worth getting some plusher aftermarket suspension??? When you are use to riding sport bikes that are suspended for desert racing, utility suspension seems pretty terrible.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-29-2005 | 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

FWIW, here is my take: Although I don't ride sport, I felt that my ute suspension was inadequate. I tried Works shocks all around, and was not that impressed. To be fair, they were not exactly set up for me.

I sold them and sprung for a complete set of Elka rezzies. These shocks are very high quality, and the tech help is great. The Elkas were set up specifically for me, XC spec.

I won't claim to be pro rider, but my impressions of my shocks are that they absorb jumps and big hits very well, but the ride is still just as jarring as ever. I have had several conversations about them with tech support at Elka, they have been completely revalved once and resprung twice. I have changed ride height, comp and reb rate to any and all settings to try and improve the ride quality.

Don't get me wrong, they are an upgrade over stock, but plush they are not.

I like my Wolverine in every way except ride quality. If they would actually make an IRS quad that didn't weigh as much as a battleship and had manual shift, that is where I would go next.

Old 04-30-2005 | 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

I would have to agree with that. I bought Works front struts, and a top of the line Works Ultracross rear shock for my Prairie 700, and even though they were sprung and valved just for me, they were no better than stock. In fact, I think they were worse than stock. I was so underwhelmed that I put the stock rear shock back on, and put the stock front struts back on, with a set of Elka springs. The Elka springs really did help with the front of the Prairie, but it still handled and rode like a utility ATV. Utility ATV suspension and handling is just plain lousy compared to just about anything else in the motorsports industry, and until the manufacturers re-write the book on utility quad performance they will likely stay that way.