Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

snow plowing (auto or manual)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow plowing (auto or manual)

I'm new to the atv scene and need one for plowing snow, I'll be plowing a driveway thats about 350-400 ft long. My question is what would work best for this an automatic or manual transmission, are the automatics durable enough to plow snow or will I be burning up clutches. And would a 400 be big enough for this job.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either one would be good.... auto you would have low range which is good for plowing and manual u'll have w/e gear you want....yes most autos are durable....A 400 will get the job done.

Old 06-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I have a 600' + driveway, and have no problems plowing with my 400. I also recommend an auto, they are a lot easier to switch between forward and reverse. I do a lot of plowing up here, and never had any problems. Be sure to get a 60" blade, anything smaller is a waste if you ask me. What kind of ATV are you looking for? If plowing is going to be the main duty, check out the Arctic Cat or even a Polaris. You will want IRS and lots of ground clearance. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm looking at a 05 Arctic cat 400 auto 4x4 it has a 50" plow, winch and a 5x8 trailer to haul it on for $6,500, does that sound like a good deal.

Old 06-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Got Milk!

Is it a brand new machine? The price seems a little steep to me, unless it is one nice trailer. Check this out Dealer I know it is in MN and you are in MI, but he is selling a new 2005 400 auto with 2 year warantee for $5295, a warn winch is only $69 with the purchase of a new ATV, and a 60" Cat plow is only $400. Brings the price to just under $5800. So that better be a nice trailer. Also, prices are going down because of the 2006's coming out.

I think the Arctic Cat is a great ATV for your use though, I know I love mine. Good luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Range Rover

make sure its a moose plow. the county one will throw the snow better. the polaris glacier plow system isnt as good as the moose

Old 06-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, for the advise, I'll check the local dealers out to see what kind a deal I can get on a new one, when do the 06 models come out.

Old 06-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Range Rover

From my experience a belt drive machine is better for pushing snow. It will allow you to push faster and stack higher than a gear drive machine.

On brand of snow plow I have a little different opinion. The Moose is a well built plow but it is also a very heavy plow. Once you lower the plow onto the ground that extra weight is working against your ATV. If you don’t push a lot of snow it probably won’t make any difference so go by price. But if you move a lot of snow, price is secondary to the performance of the ATV and plow combination.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Got Milk!

The 2006's will come on in August or so.

As far as a kind of plow, I have the plastic one from Arctic Cat. It is great, snow doesn't stick to plastic like it does to metal, the only thing is I can't do much dirt plowing in the summer - fine by me. Good Luck!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Range Rover

doesnt the rubber bottom help with that? but it will last longer than aluminum.

Quick Reply: snow plowing (auto or manual)