Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Honda Rubicon Or Yamaha Grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rubicon Or Yamaha Grizzly

If you're not into mudding or extreme rock crawling, the rincon is a nice ride. I will admit though I saw my friends Rincon have problems on the trail (overheating), and my Grizz has been great. I had no problem starting it this winter but I have heard that EFI is nice to have. I'd ride the Grizz and the KQ and see what prices you can get. I'd go for the cheapest one. Because they're both great.

Old 09-10-2005, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider

If you want a locker, I'd have to honestly still have to stick with the KingQuad for comfort, EFI, price and just bang-for-the-buck. I would have told you the Rubicon until you mentioned a locker. While many may tell you that you don't really need one, I know that when you say you want something, by god you want it and that's that.

Old 09-10-2005, 03:37 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

From the type of riding that you are describing I think you'd like the manners of a Rubicon better than that of the Grizzly. They are both good workers, my tenant has had a Rubicon since the first model year (got it in 2000) and I've had an '02 Grizzly since July of '01. They both have pulled a lot of logs out of the woods but we've had the Rubi in situations where it won't move, then unhook it from the log and put the Grizzly on it and it will break the log loose and pull it out of the woods. However if you are not trying to tow to the machines maximum capacity this won't be an issue with you.

The Grizzly is more comfortable (and with ITP C-Series wheels making it wider it is very stable) and has more ground clearance. However the Rubicon is quieter, has a smaller feel, a lower center of gravity and has a better / smoother power delivery (it was a better vehicle for towing a trail mower than the Grizzly because of the slow speeds that were required and the Rubicon is more responsive at these slow speeds). I didn't like the fact that it was permanent 4WD but the new models are switchable (plus you can buy an aftermarket unlocker for the older models as an extra expense (about the same as the cost of the ITP wheel switch on the Grizzly). Overall engine braking performance is better on the Rubicon, although engine breaking on the Grizzly is excellent in low range and 4WD.

Now enter the King Quad. I have two friends that have them locally and I've had plenty of seat time on them as well. I like the slow speed handling characteristics of the KQ. It feels cat-like at low speed, very easy to steer and it is quieter than the Grizzly. It feels a little loose at high speed though (compared to a C-Series wheels equipped Grizzly) but it sounds like high speeds are not important at all to you.

However what has impressed me most with the KQ is it's fuel economy. I've ridden with them at Hatfield McCoy (WV) and the Paiute Trail (UT). The KQ uses less fuel than even the much smaller (engine size) Rubicon. After a busy day at Hatfield McCoy my Brute Force (with a slightly higher fuel consumption rate than my Grizzly) would have used over 4 gallons of fuel where the King Quads would have only used about 2 1/2 gallons. On the Paiute trail where our elevation varied from 5500 ft to over 11200 ft (both my Grizzly and Brute Force had the stock jetting that is set for my east coast riding (between 400 and 3000 ft) the Dynatek Ignition equipped Brute did well but the Grizzly (I had taken both my Brute and Grizzly out there) was way down on power and sputtered some at the higher elevations. The EFI on the King Quads however had no problems at all. On day two of our Paiute ride we covered 101 miles. I had emptied the entire contents of my fuel flat pack (about 3.2 gallons) into my Brute Force tank at the 65 mile mark while one of the King Quads made it all the way back (101 miles) without adding any extra fuel in the tank. The other KQs that were riding with us topped off before getting back just to be sure they didn't run out (we all carried gas cans or fuel packs on the Paiute ride).

So IMO between the Rubi and the Grizz it's a toss-up but if you aren't typically in a hurry you might like the Rubi a little bit better. However if you are reconsidering the King Quad that would be my first choice...

Old 09-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

Except for the locker, it sounds like the Foreman 500 (non ESP) would be a pretty good replacement for the 300 (not that an 05 and up Rubicon wouldn't). Simple, plenty of power, and rock solid. Improved ride, discs on the front, and 2 or 4wd. You know it will last...and not saying the others won't...

You should look at the Kodiak 450 too. A friend has a Kodiak with 3500 miles on the original belt. (I have had to pull him out of a river that got too deep though). It's been trouble free except normal maintenance. What I like about the Kodiak (for your type of riding, not for the work I do with my quad) is that it is small and light, which makes it agile and easy to ride in difficult situations, very manageable. Locker, IRS, discs, price, they look good in factory camo too. Check one out.

Old 09-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

Very well-put 2TV.

Old 09-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Range Rover

Good Responses
I believe I will give the KQ the first hard look. I know I liked it last spring. One thing
I want auto tranny, may just take Rubi, Kq, and Griz all for a ride and decide what
I feel would be best.

2tv _ checked out some of your photos, simply beautiful, and that copperhead, it
looked like it was relaxing on your steps. whew! That would have been the big
one for me. Nice winter scenes too. Some of your riding is just fabulous..

Luckily I have two atv dealerships close by, Yamaha about 15 minutes, and Suzuki
is about 20. Honda on the other hand is 45 minutes. I don't want a Rincon, as I have
been stuck hundreds or times, and don't want to have to try bulling out and atv
anymore. About the only thing I really would have to tow, is an Ice shack and just
about any atv can do a fair job of that.

Thanks again all

Old 09-10-2005, 02:55 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Downeaster - those Paiute Trail pictures in my collection are only the beginning. We rode for 5 days and I've only managed to get days 1 and 2 posted so far. The pictures I have from there include mine and two other riders. Between the three of us we took over 2000 pictures (that includes the drive out, the trail ride, a side trip to Bryce Canyon and the drive back). I'll get them all posted eventually within the next week or two. I even took some helmet cam footage on an 11 mile ride that started from camp (5500 feet) on trail 74 and ended on trail 01 at a locked gate at 9100 feet. That gate was locked due to impassible snow drifts on the trail and wasn't opened until the afternoon of our last ride day (and we didn't find out about it until too late).

Test riding each quad will be very helpful in making your decision because fit and feel is very important and varies with the individual. I stored a King Quad for a period of time for one of my friends and he gave me permission to use it whenever I wanted to. I liked that machine more each time I took it out. It was great for picking your way through the woods (off trail) with it's precision slow speed handling characteristics, and it's quietness was a nice bonus too. I used it frequently to get near some of my morel (mushroom) spots back in the spring...

Old 09-11-2005, 03:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2TV

However what has impressed me most with the KQ is it's fuel economy...

I think that is something that those of us that use ATVs on a daily basis are going to have to look at. At 3 bucks a gallon it does start to add up. I've never had enough seat time on a KQ to observe the fuel mileage but the guy I know that owns one says it seems to run forever on tank of gas. That is one thing (among many) that computer controlled EFI has over carbs. They are so much more precise and can really stretch the mileage all while producing more power. A little programming and you can have totally different characteristics. Power or fuel economy or a combination of both. Amazing gadgetry EFI.

Now if someone would produce a diesel powered ATV with EFI and possibly a mini turbo or something.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Range Rover

Captain Quint
I saw a diesel yamaha a few years ago. The guy that had it hated it, as it made so
much noise, and the diesel smoke was terrible. Cripes the engine wouldn't even be
broken in when the atv would be a bucket of rust.

2tv
I will check back in a week or so and look at some more of you pic's.

I have had a Honda atv for so many years now its seems sacriligous to change. It
hasn't been without numerous brake problems, and choke problems. So I guess
it really shouldn't be that hard for me. I am now leaning #1 King Quad camo..
I have received alot of insight during the past two weeks, especially on the bushing
being replaced by a bearing, and weep hole for oil...

Old 09-16-2005, 01:18 AM
Trailblazer

downeaster,
My pop is 63 also and has some back, neck, and arm muscle problems. He claims after testing some of the bikes, the Griz was easier to steer and has a much smoother ride. His goal was to find those qualities in an atv. What ever keeps him on the trails with me is a plus in my book.

If you get the Griz make sure you put some protection on the lower coolant hose under the coolant reservoir. I put a stick in my hose riding in a fresh cut-over. Stand in front of the Griz, look between the left front tire and the shock, at the reservoir and you can see the venerability of the hose. That, to me, was a design flaw from Yam.

That's not trashin my Griz. I just dont want anyone else gettin hung out to dry (like I did) with no fluid, no way to patch the hose, and an engine running hot.

Tony

Quick Reply: Honda Rubicon Or Yamaha Grizzly