Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Best light trail ATV that can plow 60" county blade

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best light trail ATV that can plow 60" county blade

What's the best quad out there, in the 500 range, that's good for light to moderate trails, 4wd on demand, and can plow around a foot to foot and a half without hesitation or getting stuck too much? I heard that the foreman 4x4 ES is excellent despite its 500 class engine.

Another question is what is the difference between the Rubicon, 4x4 ES, and ES? The ES had 4x4, right, or is it the front lock diff thing?

Someone please clarify these.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

look into the polaris 500EFI or 500HO, compared to a honda the polaris is like a ferrari and a saturn.

lol kindof a lame example but its true!!!!

the 500HO will wupp the rincon.

RIDE RED WHITE AND BLUE!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-09-2005, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

uh, that's funny. I've never seen anyone call a Polaris a Saturn. I thought Saturns held their value. Really though, he wasn't asking for some kids preferred brand or sense of value.

Rubicon has the best transmission in an ATV, hydromechanical with automatic modes or a simulated standard ESP (my favorite). It's nothing like your father's John Deere though.

Foreman 500 4X4 has a 5 speed semi-auto. It has a foot shift that works like a dirt bike but actuating the foot shift releases a clutch to allow gear change and then changes gears. If you slowly actuate one with your hand you can feel it. A centrifical clutch handles idle (so it can be in gear and doesn't roll away)

Foreman 500 4X4ES has a servo that will do what your foot does at the press of a button.

One of the things I did not like about the Foreman is the process to put it in reverse, some say you get used to it, I just think its a pain. Rubicon is much better for plowing in this regard.

There are no Hondas with a diff lock. They all have a pretty good torsen diff. I much prefer it to losing front axle during engine braking and sliding your back axle down a hill like some other brands.

IMO There is no "despite" its 500 class engine. 400s where as big as you could get 10 years ago. 500s can do must of what the big bores can do. An 800cc quad is slow, a 500cc is slower. 500cc is just right for a utility quad most of the time.

Old 10-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

The Sportsman 500 is the only actual 500cc quad that all 4 wheels in 4wd are moving not limited slip, it's actually AWD, not front diff lock. But the Kawi BF 650 is in the same price range as the 500 class quads and it's got a V-twin so it's got more power so it's probably better at plowing, for plowing with a 60" plow you'll need all the power you can get. So you should look into the BF 650, plus unlike the Honda's it's fully automatic, which I think makes plowing easier.

Old 10-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

The Polaris is AWD all the time? One advantage is does have is that extra 100+lbs should help with traction.

And the Kawasaki is going to have a lot more power, but their belt is not as nice as the Rubicon's fully automatic (or kinda manual) tranny. Around here the 05 Rubicon is going for $5999, so its right there in price with the rest of the class, if not cheaper. No locker is not a reason to pass on an ATV.

difficult decision, but how many times a year are you going to plow? They are all capable. My 98 AC400 didn't have a problem pushing over a foot of heavy snow using a 60" Cycle Country. It would always run out of traction before power.

Old 10-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

no, the wayt polaris 4x4 system works is, when the 4x4 switch is engaged, the front wheels will engage the hubs when the rear ones spin 20% faster then the fron ones. when it engages them you have full locked 4x4. and you can shift it into 4x4 mode at 2mph or 50mph.

i am not saying the rubi is bad. but the Polaris will always the plowing champ in my book!

Old 10-10-2005, 07:28 AM
Pro Rider

doesn't the awd kind of disengage when you are going downhill too?

you get a lot of snow in Alabama?

Old 10-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think the AWD drive on my Sportman 400 ever disengaged while I was going down a hill plowing, as long as your rear wheels are losing traction you'll remain in AWD. I personally didn't like Polaris' AWD system, I'd rather have 4wd when I want it and not have to wait for the rear wheels to lose traction.

Old 10-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

I think the AWD not engaging during engine braking downhill might not be as much of a problem while plowing, its not like you are going fast or down slick steep downhills.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh... uhmm ... did you say you want to plow a foot to foot and a half of snow. I 'd say the proper tool for that would be called a Ford F-150 4x4 or something similar size. I think none of the ATV's would handle that much snow unless it is fresh fluffy powder and even than it would be a pain especially with a 60" plow. I plow with a 450cc ATV with a 50" moose plow. It works great up to about 8-10" of fresh snow and than it gets to be drag. I think you will only have push more snow than that once and than you will rethink the idea. I live in Maine and had lots and lots of time to think about these deep and profound issues while plowing around my house.
best of luck

Quick Reply: Best light trail ATV that can plow 60" county blade