Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Sport-Utility?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 02:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport-Utility?

I looking to buy a utility 4x4. I need some help from the experienced. Is there a quad out there thats somewhere in between a Wolverine and a big bore? IMO I would have to imagine 800's are way to heavy and dont handle that well for zipping around in the woods.

What I need is IRS, about 450cc, 2 to 4 wheel shift, lightest and most agile.

I was looking at the Kodiak and Griz (which is big I know). I like yamaha but am open to others. A salesmen I spoke with was pushing his left over bomb. 400ho 05 and gave me that cd to watch. Just ridiculous! I cant understand why the market never went in the direction of the wolverine.
Anyway, what do you think is the best utility for me? thanx for any replies!

Old 11-28-2005, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

I think the King Quad is as nimble as any utility out you should take a look

Old 11-28-2005, 08:36 AM
Trailblazer
Default Sport-Utility?

I never rode a Kodiak, but when I was looking to buy my Quad the Kodiak looked to be the smallest 450 out there. It wasn't much bigger than the 250's I saw. This might give it an advantage in handling, but you never know until you ride them.

Old 11-29-2005, 02:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sport-Utility?

does no one have an opinion? I'd like to hear from some experienced riders!!!

Old 11-29-2005, 08:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default Sport-Utility?

Thats because they are all good and no one wants to slam anyone else. Basically you can't go wrong with any of them, you just have to look at what each brand has to offer and pick what you like. If there was one quad that was better than all the rest then it would be the only quad anyone would buy.

I bought mine because it was an 05 and the 06's were out so I got a good deal. Plus, it had the big wheel kit already installed and a bunch of other stuff, so when I saw it in the showroom, I just knew I had to have it. So far I love it.

Old 11-29-2005, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

My kodiak is great and just what I want. It handle surprising well plus its small size helps it in tight situations. I think it has plenty power .... sure the big bores have more but depending on what your doing most people don't need all that. I use mine to ride the trails and some are very technical plus I climb alot of hills and have no problem. I also plow a long driveway and play in the snow. This is all with a basically stock machine with stock tires. I also like the fact that I can lock the diff...it has helped me out a few times especially in deep snow when most machines would be buried I clawed my way through. Its decent on gas and I haven't really has any issues on it other than a squeaky rear brake for like the first 300 miles. It has since gone away...I have about 600 on it now.

I think you would be very happy with the Kodiak 450. I know I am [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2005, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

if you need a quad that can do utility but still is sporty for riding ive heard great things about the suzuki king quad. if your looking for a 4x4 thats basically for pleasure riding and maybe a light chore here or there like pulling a garden impliment (sweeper or thatcher or trailer) then id look into the Scrambler 500HO. Good sized engine, on the fly 4x4 button, sporty. Im not at all impressed with the new wolverine offering so im sticking with my 01 wolvy. If you could find a used one they arent a bad bike especially if you take some of the money you saved and put it into some aftermarket. Be more specific on what your planning on using your bike for, that would help. How much utility do you need from it or do you just want the ability to 4x4 where the utilities go (mud etc)

Old 11-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sport-Utility?

just noticed they have a new brp coming out! Its a 650 H.O. I think I am starting to like those brp's. I'll have to check one out

Old 11-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Trailblazer
Default Sport-Utility?

yeah, those BRP's seem to be pretty nice. A 650 is a good size too. The 800 is nice, but a lot of machine if you don't have serious work to use it for. I had four Skidoo snomobiles and never had a problem with them. I've put a ton of miles on them too. I think the Rotax engine they use on the sleds are the same they use in the quads. Bulletproof!

My 500 has a ton of power and plows snow great. I can't even imagine what an 800 would be like.

Whatever you get, get it soon so you can start to enjoy it!

Old 11-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

I can't believe the MSRP on those $7899!!! You might as well get the 800...Not much more if your already spending that much.... $8599 ... Are they really that much better of machines? I never really heard of them before thinking they would be cheaper when they seem priced like they are top of the line ATV"s or something..Maybe they are but not much WORD of Mouth on the them..for sure.

True..whatever you get you will have fun.. ATV's are great. I spent $5900 on mine which I thought was outragious. Man these things are gonna cost as much as a brand new car or truck before long. I guess all that plastic really adds up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Sport-Utility?