Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Break up top soil for lawn, products?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 12:53 PM
K2
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break up top soil for lawn, products?

Looking for info on products or ideas any of you have on how to break up top soil to put in a lawn with my Rubicon. (this spring) Anyone know of discs or something similar that can be dragged behind to break up the top few inches of soil. If so, who sells them?

I've seen people drag shipping pallets loaded with cinder blocks, but that was more for leveling already loose soil. I was thinking of making some spiked planks weighted with cinder blocks. If any of you know of products or have made something that worked I would appreciate the ideas.

Thanks,

K2

Old 12-17-2005, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

For just lightweight yard and garden type work any type of implement you would use for garden tractors would work. When I needed a disk, plow, harrow, lawn seeder, roller and those kinds of things I would just rent them form the local rental store. They had them for garden tractors and they worked fine for an ATV. No more than I used them I couldn't see purchasing something like that.

They make actual ATV implements. They're expensive though and they're not the most durable things made when compared with actual agricultural equipment. You can find a good selection of them in the Northern Tool catalog.

Of course you could just slap on a set of 589 mud tires and tear up the yard the fun way.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Good idea about renting the impliments, never thought of that.

Cabela's also has a number of items in their catalog.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

HERE are some cool things

Old 12-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

I did landscaping all summer and the best result it with using a rake also you can use is tie a old fence behind the bike like use it was a drag

Old 12-18-2005, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tencubed
Good idea about renting the impliments, never thought of that.

Cabela's also has a number of items in their catalog.
Unless you're going to use them an awful lot then I think it pays to just rent them. I think the last time I priced one of those inexpensive pull behind disks for a lawn tractor or ATV they ran anywhere between 300 to 500 bucks. I think the last time I rented one I maybe spent 50 bucks for the entire weekend. If you're going to be doing work with them on a weekly or monthly basis then maybe consider buying but for a one time or a once a summer job I think it is better to just rent. One less thing to trip over in the garage or one less thing in the fence row to mow around. Plus you're not the one eating the wear and tear on it. They aren't made all that sturdy considering how much they cost to purchase.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Range Rover

just got get a single section of a harrow and pull it around........

Old 12-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Range Rover

In my profile there is a picture of an Ag. system I made. I gave up trying to find a system that would do what I wanted. When time allows I want to put on a set of discs and rake, already have the S-tines, back blade and box scraper.

Old 12-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

You may want to go about it in a different direction. You can save possibly save yourself some time and sweat by renting or purchacing a tow behind arriffier (Plug type not a slicer) then overseed with a broadcast spreader that you can buy or rent. Then go over the yard with a dethatcher to break up the plugs and nesstle the seen in.
Rake up the thatch and hit it all with some starter fertalizer. If you have alot of weeds now i would recomend
applying a weed and feed to the yard atleast 1 month before you start your project( allow the 1 month to be sure your new seed germinates safely)
Steve

Old 12-19-2005, 12:05 PM
K2
Trailblazer

Thanks all for the comments a ideas. I wasn't aware some of the necessary equipment could be rented and would work with an ATV, but after some thought...why not. Thanks again, renting would make a lot of sense for my needs.

Quick Reply: Break up top soil for lawn, products?