Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Cheap Winch

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Winch

Most of those cheap winches are made by Warn, Ramsey or Superwinch and sold to other companies to resell under their own name. If you figure out which brand it is, the parts are the same.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheap Winch

Thanks for all of the replys. I think I will go for the venom 300lb kit. It's only $160.00 and comes with everything.

Old 01-04-2006, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default Cheap Winch

I hope you meant to say 3,000 lb kit.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Cheap Winch

how the heck do you mount one of those champion winched on a rubicon using the mounting plate that was included??

i cant see how....and have mine torn down in the garage

any thoughts??

fullspeed2

Old 01-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Cheap Winch

Just my opinion, but I kinda think a cheap winch is like a cheap pacemaker. When you're out in the middle of nowhere, stuck, I would rather know that I have a quality product that I can count on than one that "might" do the job.

Old 01-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Cheap Winch

well, i ended up having to buy a warn mounting plate for the rubicon.....75 bucks....got the thing mounted and working.....

was wondering if anyone know of a smaller rocker type controller for the champion 2000 lb winch....the one that came w/it is huge.....

thanks

Old 01-16-2006, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Cheap Winch

I have the 2000lb Venom "kit" for the 2005 rubicon. It all works great. No regrets. The plate fits good.

The bolts to mount the winch to the plate are of typical Chinese steel and I broke the first one. I repalced the winch mount bolts with good American steel bolts. So instead of something around $150 shipped I spent an extra $1.50 on some bolts.

I'm happy with the setup. At the price I can replace the winch every year for 4 years and still beat the high priced winch costs.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Cheap Winch

If you use the Champion winch from Costco with the big mondo hand control, don't leave the control hard wired to the winch, especially if you permanently mount it. Use hi-amp plugs to make it removable. If you install the plugs in the same polarity as the functions before you cut the four wire ends off then it doesn't matter if you reverse the plugs when you go to plug in the controller, it work just the same anyway. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Here are a couple of installations I made with the Champion winch. It may be cheap, as in inexpensive, but all the installations I have made the darn things just keep on working just fine, while I keep seeing and reading about Ramseys, Superwinches and Warns breaking and failing, so concerns that cheap price means an unreliable winch compared to the 'name brands' are, well... paranoid fantasy. (or at least unwarranted overly expressed caution). The only thing I have seen fail on a Champion is the freewheel **** pulled off one when the owner unwisely tried to force it out while the winch hook was loaded up tight to the fairlead. You just can't completely idiot-proof something where a guy won't find a way to break it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Here's one on a Rancher AT.
Rancher winch receiver

And my own King Quad.
King Quad receiver [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2006, 12:39 AM
Range Rover
Default Cheap Winch

Can't cut down them winch's in my garage . I have 2 one mounted in the ceiling to lift deer, moose, snowmachines and atvs up to 10 feet off the floor. the other is mounted on a hoist I made for working on my Grizzly. pics of it can be seen if you clic on camera under my name.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer
Default Cheap Winch

Originally posted by: Glenlivet
You just can't completely idiot-proof something where a guy won't find a way to break it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
LOL that sounds like my signature

Quick Reply: Cheap Winch