Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

2006 Foreman Winch Mounting Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Foreman Winch Mounting Help

Hey guys n gals.... first post here. Anyhow...

I want to mount a Warn 2.5 to my 2006 Foreman 4x4 ES... what I need to know is, how hard is it to install, using Warn's mounting kit? I'm not a total idiot when it comes to this kind of stuff, but I don't want to take the chance of messing up something on my 4 wheeler either. I would have help doing it. Anyone have any diagrams or anything that shows how it's done?
The thing is I can get the winch, roller/fairlead and mounting kit for about $355, vs $500 installed at the local shops. So I can save a few bucks, but only if it's something I cannot easily screw up. Also, since Katrina, all the shops are backed up for service on average of 2-4 weeks, and I really don't wanna have to leave my 4 wheeler there that long.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Old 01-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

I installed a Warn 2.5 on my '05 Rubicon. I imagine it would be almost the same as your bike. It really wasn't a big deal. It took me about 3 hours, but that was mostly because I was being extra cautious. I think if I put another one on, I could do it in half that time.

I think you could do it without a problem, but it comes down to how much your time is worth.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

$145 to install a winch? how much do they charge an hour? we charge 2 1/2 hours at the dealership and thats about what it takes for us to install one. i've seen some winches installed by customers and i'm sure it might have taken less time but believe me, it looks like it. it takes us that long because we shorten wires if needed, solder all connections and route wires to make it look factory.

never used the warn mounting plate, we use all moose stuff. on your machine, we mount the solenoid on the left side of the storage box right above the muffler. nice flat area and the heat shield will protect it from the muffler. SOLDER the red wire for the switch to the pink wire of the ignition switch. this is switch power so the winch won't operate unless the key is on. there are diagrams in the winch manual, but everything is color coded, pretty hard to hook it up wrong.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

No, I don't think it's $145 to install it... I think the winch is something like $349, roller, etc, etc = up to $500, and they "install for free".

The wiring and whatnot I'm not so concerned about, that's actually the part I would be able to do easily and nicely... what I'm concerned with is somehow mounting it wrong, to where the mount breaks or something along those lines when I go to use the winch.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm gonna give it a shot.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

I think I would take a good long hard look at those venom winches on Ebay if I were to do it myself.

They look really good!

dang, here is the whole meal deal for cheap

Old 01-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mike,

I did exactly the install you are looking at. The directions are good, and everything went fine. It was kind of a pain once you have the winch and mounting plate installed onto the front clip, holding all that in place until you get the bolts started. A second person at that stage would be handy.

I agree that not using the little cramp-on plastic wire tap would be a good idea (strip, solder, heatshrink would be much more durable). I think there was a thread about their being a key-on position available from the fuse block, which would be even cleaner.

I just tapped into the wire for the cig. lighter plug, as it was easy to get to.

Anyway, read the directions first, and I don't think you will have any problems. Make sure to slide the little rubber boots over the terminals on the winch before you bolt in the winch, as the top terminal will end up right up against the headlight bucket. Take your time routing and securely tying down the power cables, as you could really have a problem if the insulation scuffed through.

www.4atvtires.com had the best prices I could find when I ordered mine. Dealer said they couldn't even come close to their price.

Anyway, I say go for it. I kind of enjoy little projects like that, and saving the money.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies.

I ordered the Venom V3000XT winch.
I haven't found anyone with anything bad to say about them... hopefully it will work out fine.
I'll have 2nd person to help out with everything.

Let's just hope the Venom is as good as they say they are.

$173 for the entire kit is hard to beat, but we'll see....

Trending Topics

Old 01-25-2006, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

well, at least at that price you can get 3 of em [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just put the Venom 2500lb on my 05 Rubicon. The only problem I had was the (2) heavy wires running from the winch contacts to the solenoid were a little too short to reach the back of the storage box the way I routed them. I mounted the solenoid on the outer right side of the box and siliconed all my terminals when I finished. I really was impressed with the winch mounting plate they provided; nice, heavy lazer cut and powder coated for a "clean" look when installed. Oh, one thing though, the mounting bolts for the winch look like typical China fasteners and I replaced with better fasteners.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dirty... lol Maybe I'll buy a 2nd and bring it with me when I go trail riding.

csr, yeah... that's one thing I failed to mention, the only actual complaint I saw (and I think it was on this board) was the bolts were cheap, so I will be making a trip to the hardware store before I put it on. I ordered it Monday night, it shipped yesterday morning, should be here today or tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 2006 Foreman Winch Mounting Help