Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Snowmobilers don't like ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snowmobilers don't like ATV's

We bought some sticky mouse traps today because my wife saw a mouse on our mantel above the fire place. I have a few bear skulls on the mantel and one time we saw a mouse come out of one of the skulls. Kinda looked like a scene on an Indiana Jones movie. I did mention that I have a dislike [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] for rats and mice didn't I.....

Old 02-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: Wayback40
We bought some sticky mouse traps today because my wife saw a mouse on our mantel above the fire place. I have a few bear skulls on the mantel and one time we saw a mouse come out of one of the skulls. Kinda looked like a scene on an Indiana Jones movie. I did mention that I have a dislike [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] for rats and mice didn't I.....
Most people do have a strong dislike for intruding rodents in their domains.. Them sticky traps suck... Id opt for the good ol spring traps with penut butter. if you know their path their toast. Rats and mountain beavers and squirrels require more creative approaches to capture... For these i usually consult BoB's Farmer Tech manual [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2006, 02:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an owner/rider of both sleds and wheelers, I feel the two are compatible. The only reason there are so many snow mobile trails today is because they became popular before all the left wing nuts. You could never build the trail system we have today with all the so called environmentalists. Trails can be used by both machines, but as much as I hate government regulation, some regulations may be needed. One regulation I would suggests, is no wheelers when there is X amount of snow on the trails. Trails would be open to wheelers until enough snow has accumulated.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

OFC that is a funny picture, gives me the heebie jeevies just looking at it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

C too hates rats!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2006, 04:17 AM
Pro Rider

Snowmobilers might not like ATVs but they really hate it when you have your pickup on the trail towin a trailer

Old 02-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hondabuster
Its kind of a fact of life. Some of the snowmobilers feel its their tax money and labor which made the trail, and thats a valid point.
Ive been on both sides on this, and i usually wait until the trail is rutted and down to dirt patches before using a quad on it, this reduces the chances of meeting snowmobiles, ....or go early in the season, before theres groomable snow.
Theres also the issue of going 20 mph and sleds going 70...youre probably both gonna get hurt if theres a crash, and the rutting is a problem too.
I think the biggest issue is sleds (especially the last 7 years), rarely have good enough snow to be used, and when they finally get the snow cover to ride, they dont want to share the trail with a vehicle that can be out there on any day of the year. Try to pick days which are bad for sleds, and youll have a more enjoyable day.
My opinion is, don't lay your hangups on me because I had the foresight to buy something that I could use all year. If you can only ride one month out of the year, thats your own fault. Espeacially if you spent 6+k. Boo-hoo if I make ruts, get over it. I'm always polite to sleders, and have been on the other side. I would always help a snowmobiler in need, and I don't overextend my right thumb, while riding where selds do. I just hate all the rude gestures and comments. It is going to lead to some hostility. Because if it keeps up I will make sure they don't ride, I mean I could be a d!nk and tear up the trails. Also we usally alternate, tthe sleders will pack it, then the quads start to ride em'. Don't know, don't care, just my 2 cents.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

The big problemwith the suggestions of atv's being allowed on sled trails during the summer is that those trails (at least the ones i sled on) are used by logging comapanies durring the summer. Imagine ripping around a corner and smoking a peterbuilt full of logs. O, and 20mph!!! you might as well be a sitting rock. At that speed you are a dangerous obsticle to all other riders, no matter what your driving.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

This was on yahoo news on 08/29/2003:

It is an interview with Howard DEAN, the Democartic chairman and former Presidential Candidate. I think he contributed to the atv vs. snowmobiler problem, not to say that you all have very good points about it but just read what he said:

"He (Dean) and his team used the NRA, he says, to neutralize the most ardent property-rights Republicans in the legislature. They then went to the snowmobilers and explained that although there would be a wilderness area off-limits to them, there would be other areas they could utilize. They used that concession, he goes on, to get the snowmobilers help in supporting the exclusion of ATVs: 'You cant compromise with ATVers under any circumstances', they just do too much damage to the land . . . In other words, dean says, you assemble the broadest coalition possible and then parcel out something for everybody. Now, it cant be everybody, because theres always those on the extreme edge of the right who want to clear-cut everything, thats their idea of sustainable timbering . . . But in general, he says, you work with all the stakeholders, and then if one element of the coalition starts to defect, if the snowmobilers, say, try to link up with the ATVers, which they sometimes threaten to do, you put the leverage on. You say, If its a choice between letting the ATVs in or keeping the snowmobile people out sorry, well see you later. And that brings the snowmobilers back to the table . . ."

Old 03-03-2006, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Catterman
As an owner of both, I hate to see ATV's out when I am on the sled. Mainly because they cause ruts in the snowmobile trails.
thats a big one right there

Old 01-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

In Maine you can ride your ATV (equipped with tracks) on the sled trails. You have to double register your wheeler as a sled though.I think thats the key for some of the issues I have seen in above posts. Money will always shut up a politition.

I think the only reason sledders don`t like ATVs is cause we can ride year round. A couple winters ago we had no snow here in Maine (none) and rode all year. When we stopped for gas we would even get grief from some. I was on a sled trail last Febuary ( alone) and got SCREAMED at by some button head. I tried to explain to him that it is legal to ride directly to and from your camp on a sled trail if that is the ONLY access to camp. I hope he went home and looked it up but more than likely the azz couldn`t read!
As far as rutting the trails up, if they are groomed hard enough it doesn`t happen untill the temps get into the upper 30`s......
I have a set of Traxions coming in the mail and I can`t wait to get them and get some seat time in.I hope after giving the state another 38$ and $2995.00 for the tracks I don`t get any grief on the trails by some narrow minded sledders!

Quick Reply: Snowmobilers don't like ATV's