Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

BF650 or King Quad? All Opinions welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BF650 or King Quad? All Opinions welcome.

almost purchased a BRP Outlander but then I started to read the Versa-Lock isn’t 100%.

The Outlander Visco-Lok auto-locking differential is the best out there, in my opinion.

From an older review:

"One of the best features of the Bombardier’s ATV's, is the Visco-Lok front drive. Bombardier says this “progressive-locking differential” provides “true all-wheel drive.” The Visco-Lok detects speed differences between the front tires. If one tire begins to spin faster than the other, power is sent away from that tire, unlike conventional limited-slip differentials that can let one tire spin freely. In testing several Bombardier 4x4s over the years, all with Visco-Lok, the system works all the way up to a fully locked front differential. These ATVs are still easy to steer, too."

I think you need to take a closer look at BRP.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Actually ive heard the same. Most people prefer to be able to lock and unlock the differential when they want to, not when the machine decides it needs to

Old 03-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

"One of the best features of the Bombardier’s ATV's, is the Visco-Lok front drive. Bombardier says this “progressive-locking differential” provides “true all-wheel drive.”

I could not have said it better, true all-wheel drive is right. I can quote all the brochure's and rag reviews you want too.

I will stick to my "true 4x4"

Old 03-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Range Rover

I will tell you this the Outlanders that ride with us go places the fully lockers wont. In snowy conditions climbing mountains the Outty's are best because they wait a split secont before fully locking up, what that does is allow you to steer and manouver going up. We have hillclimbing contests up snow(ice) covered trails and the Outty's always make it to the top even with the exact same tires. The visco-loc is by far the best locking differential on the market.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Outty 800 and the front locker is good but its not as good as a true locked front dif. I will say that if the Outty had a true locker in the front it would be a animal in the rocks.Now you have to spin the tires a little before it will go over the real bad stuff

Old 03-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

So Visco Lock isnt the best!

Old 03-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Range Rover

For mountain climbing, sled pulls, and where you need steering ease the visco-loc is best. The only area the instant locker might seem better is rock crawling on flat land because it engages instantly but looking father a slight hesitation (visco-loc) helps with steering and on off cambers a instant locker will slide downward if the front looses traction. The visco- loc will progressively apply the perfect amount of traction. If this was not the best form of traction control the WORLD CHAMPION trials rider would not have chosen a 400 Outlander as weapon of choice. He is from Portugal and states that the Outlander is the best machine for this type of competition because of its stability and visco-loc!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (He is not employed in any way by BRP.)

I have been in a situation where a Brute with ATR's and a Outty with the exact same tires tried climbing a snow covered mountain trail that had turns and off cambers all the way up. The results were the same regardless of driver, the Outlander would climb it everytime and the Brute could not. Not bashing just the truth.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

"Locker is as Locker does"

It's all good.. auto locker, manual locker, ya'll are gonna get and buy what you want anyways. Just sharing opinion. I have a Brute Force that has the manual locker handle. I have the Outlander which has Visco-Lok. They are both good, I prefer not to do any technical mudding or serious rock climbing, so the visco-lok does all the work and thinking for me. In some scenerio's I can see where the rider may want to command manually that the ATV lock all fours. I have never used it once on my Brute Force, but again I guess it all depends on the kind of riding you are doing..

Old 03-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: Mdog
the WORLD CHAMPION trials rider would not have chosen a 400 Outlander as weapon of choice. He is from Portugal and states that the Outlander is the best machine for this type of competition because of its stability and visco-loc!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (He is not employed in any way by BRP.)
I bet he got the ATV for free though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Do you have any links? I would like to read more about this. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Mdog
For mountain climbing, sled pulls, and where you need steering ease the visco-loc is best. The only area the instant locker might seem better is rock crawling on flat land because it engages instantly but looking father a slight hesitation (visco-loc) helps with steering and on off cambers a instant locker will slide downward if the front looses traction. The visco- loc will progressively apply the perfect amount of traction. If this was not the best form of traction control the WORLD CHAMPION trials rider would not have chosen a 400 Outlander as weapon of choice. He is from Portugal and states that the Outlander is the best machine for this type of competition because of its stability and visco-loc!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (He is not employed in any way by BRP.)

I have been in a situation where a Brute with ATR's and a Outty with the exact same tires tried climbing a snow covered mountain trail that had turns and off cambers all the way up. The results were the same regardless of driver, the Outlander would climb it everytime and the Brute could not. Not bashing just the truth.
liar

Quick Reply: BF650 or King Quad? All Opinions welcome.