Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

2 ATV's versus JEEP stuck in snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 ATV's versus JEEP stuck in snow

This afternoon, my buddy and I coming back on our final mile of riding came upon a poor soul and his son stuck trany deep in snow in a Jeep Hardtop. So being the proud owners of an 04 700 Polaris EFI, and me in my new 800 Outty EFI (BEST OF THE BEST) decided we would pull him out. Well, to make a long story short, after yanking, winching, and lots of digging we got him about 3 feet closer to hard ground, but had to call "No Joy" finally. While our engines kept huffing and puffing like the little engine that could, we just dug straight down and got stuck several times ourselves. These are times when we wish there was a film crew there, you know for "beer drinking review" later on.
We tried yanking in series, and at one point we had the big bore ATV's yanking in parallel with winches and a tow rope, but alas we failed. That Jeeps fat *** was determined to stay stuck in the muck.

The moral of this story (if there is one) is that we were all glad to be a part of the 4 wheeling thing. Stuck or riding we are all comrades seeking the ultimate 4 wheeling experience. Today I winched in alittle bit closer..

Old 03-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Range Rover

I've done the same thing before trying to pull an F-150 out and in the end decided I wouldn't ever try it again. It's not worth warping your frame or breaking anything. These ATVs have more power than the frames and parts can withstand in abnormal circumstances such as trying to pull out vehicles. They just weren't designed for it. All in all it was a gracious thing trying to help them out but unless you have insurance on the quad, I would be more hesitant next time. Just my personal opinion though.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree with the atv having more power than the frame and parts. I saw someone try pulling a car out of a ditch. The ATV was on dry Pavement, so it hooked up fine, and twisted his driveshaft beyond recognition! The parts just spilled out underneath it like it had just crapped itself!

Old 03-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

watched a friend on a recent deer trip pull a 2500 series gmc van up an icy grade[about 10%], van clocks in at about 5700#, was AC 400 auto, pulled the truck to level ground[truck in low,idling], didnt tire spin once[quad],was on same icy grade as truck[which would do nothing but spin tires], i was impressed....

Old 03-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

A stuck Jeep is gonna take a lot to pull out, a quad just doesn't have the lead to do so unless the Jeep was just barely stuck

Old 03-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

I tried to use 1 atv to pull another out that got wedged (hi centered) while plowing snow. Can't pull when all 4 wheels are spinning. Even my truck I had to spin a bit til I jerked a bit.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

the beauty of bein stuck in snow,,,,is that it is easy to dig out from in front of all the tires

did you guys try that?

i have been stuck in the snow quite a few times,,,,each time,,it gets a little funner

did you smell any belts burning?

Old 03-31-2006, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

hey guys ride on / thought i would toot the horn for yamaha. My brotherinlaw and I both have kodiak 450s and we tied on to a toyota pickup stuck in mud up to the bumper and we got them out. Go kodiaks////// hey just clean bustin, really thou it is possible to pull em out for braggin rights, if not it is fun trying ride on all and have fun.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

when i had my 800, i hooked up to a downed Jeep Liberty that was jacked up with the assitance of a Honda 650 (i think it was a rubicon) and i put it in 4x4 and low and slowly started bringing on the torque i pulled it about a foot before my front end broke loose and was digging into the ground and the guy in the honda started helping and we pulled him out together. he was probebly burried in about a foot of sludgey mud on a 45 degree angle.

funny thing was the jeep wasnt even supposed to be there, its against the parks rules to have trucks on the ATV/Dirtbike trails

Old 03-31-2006, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

I reckon we should have parked the big bores and called in the little fellers like the kodiaks. Yep, that was the solution that we should have thought of, lol. Sorry Hutch, your visions of grandjeur won't fly this time.

For two ATV's we had the solution, period. Aint no other ATV's out there that could have got him out cause we didn't. We were in the snow also. We didn't have any dry ground on which to hook..

Quick Reply: 2 ATV's versus JEEP stuck in snow