Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

which atv should I get

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which atv should I get

Well for the AC atv I don't like them because I rode my buddy's AC and the suspenson was hard as a rock and the sterring was hard. I don't know if its his atv but he has an 06 AC 500LE. I rode a polaris and the quad was perfect. Never rode a grizz though. If I got an AC I would get a 650. I think the polaris atvs are way meaner looking than the ACs. I read in atv action magazine they test all the big bore quads and the sportsman 800 won.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think the polaris atvs are way meaner looking than the ACs.

Ha!!!!!! Your kidding, right???? Unbelievable. Thats the first time ive EVER heard that. I usually see people say the Polaris is Ugly, but if thats your opinion, your entitled to it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know if they're "meaner" looking than AC's... Thast an opinion. However, i LOVE the way the new Polaris's look. I love the front, i love the rear tail lights, i love the dual exhaust (800) i love the wheels that come with them. I havnt been riding enough with my friend who bought a 2006 AC 500 Manual, but ill see how that holds up. However, when he had a Grizz, 3 of our trips ended because of one of his axles. He was forced to take out the wallet and buy 4 gorilla axles, and finally he sold it and bought the AC, so ill see how long the arctic cat lasts with the way we ride... TOUGH riding :-)
----------------------------
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 (Green)
'27 ITP 589 M/S Tires
on ITP Type 5 Wheels
3000 lb. Warn Winch
3-Way Headlight Mod
High Lifter Lift Kit

2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 Mossy Oak - STOLEN
2001 Honda Rancher ES 350
Sold TOUGH

Old 07-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

the onlt thinf i don't like about a polaris is that its a polaris...which doesn't explain why my winter toy is a rmk 700...hhmmm. Anyways, their frigin HEAVY if your going through deep mud and water, whatever you do, don't get it stuck. Or you'll need a BIG winch to get out. I know somebody is going to say now, "I never get stuck with my polaris". Bull. Everybody gets stuck, and the bigger the machine the worse you get stuck, luckly thats half the fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. On a side note winner of the mud nationals in 3 events... BRP 800. Just thought i'd throw that in.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

And no one cares. The mud nationals are a joke. It dosent show which machine or brand has the best mud capability. 97% of all machines their are so modded so much its ridiculous to even compare them to stock, so that proves nothing about the bomb. Anyway i go riding with Foreman's AC 500, Grizz's and a Kodiak 400 and what you're talking about is not true. Its not that hard to get my machine out of being stuck.. at all. Just as easy as it was when i had my rancher. So please quit making it sound MUCH worse than it is.
'27 ITP 589 M/S Tires
on ITP Type 5 Wheels
3000 lb. Warn Winch
3-Way Headlight Mod
High Lifter Lift Kit

Sold

Old 07-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, we all get to hear about bom and them winning mud nationals, and um yeah, and how did they rate in number of sales? Oh yeah, LAST. I think bom is a nice machine, but its not the best in everything, and everyone will never like it more than their preferred brand of choice. There is a little to much hype on these boms.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rtboy
It would come down to the grizz 700 and sportsman 700

Polaris Sportsman's do in fact tend to have more problems than the Jap brands, most likely b/c of their hefty dry weights I have seen this firsthand I've had my Suzuki KQ for over a year now with zero problems...But I had a Sportsman 400 and it's virtually the same ATV as the 700,(minus the ~300cc). It was a nice riding ATV, and it's weight was great for plowing snow and towing trailers...but JUST for trail riding and mudding I wouldn't recommend a Sportsman, On mine the cv joint boots ripped all the time and it was a nightmare, you literally can't go in rough uncut trails with them or you WILL rip boots continuously and their cv boot guards you have to pay $90 for don't help, let's not even talk about mud with sticks jamming up into them. I had several other little, but annoying problems, like the gear shifter freezing in the wintertime, wouldn't start a few times, and a cracked bolt in the rear suspenison. It wasn't reliable that's for sure. Also I don't like the Sportsman's AWD...the Japs(aside from Honda) do it RIGHT, a real world 4wd system with DIFF LOCK, it's engaged in 4x4 when you want it to be not when the ATV feels it should be. Not trying to make Polaris loyalist mad, but I've seen it firsthand over the past three years of owning these two machines, Japs built better bikes.

I'm not sure about recommending the Grizz 700, it's a first year machine built from the ground up and problems are likely, ecspecially with their new power steering. Like I said I have a KQ 700 and it's had zero problems, it just needs a better air filter, perferably Uni or Twin Air. It'd be a good mudder with proper snorkels just like the Grizz. I'd recommend a BF 750 for deep mudding as well, b/c it's got a dynomite low end with it's V-twin, but it's not fuel injected.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

ugh, i tell you time and time again toyeboy, your whole opinion would be 100% different of Polaris if you would've only gotten the SP500.. that 400 is so0o0o0o0o sluggish!! i've driven my friends a few times and i literally cant believe how slow they are. And if i would've bought that as my first Polaris it would've definatly left a bad impression on me. And as i said, i really doubt anyone rides their bikes harder than me, and if you do, it cant be much harder. And i have NEVER ripped ANYTHING! .. Nothing on my machine has broke, malfunctioned, NOTHiNG.. And i dont maintenance my machine near enough as i should. And about that "real world setup".. i still dont agree with it. I use my ATV in real world scenario's almost every day. I ride with my buddie's AC500, i ride with my friends Grizz, and not only can i keep up with them in the mud, i make them look silly. I love my setup and couldnt stand stopping all the time to flip levers and push all kind of buttons. And as i've said before, i still cant notice the machine "engaging" itself whenever it wants to. Unless you specifically sit there and look for it to slip, you'll never notice. I think it is true 4wd at its best. Except for rocks. ill give the diff lock that.
'27 ITP 589 M/S Tires
on ITP Type 5 Wheels
3000 lb. Warn Winch
3-Way Headlight Mod
High Lifter Lift Kit

Sold

Old 07-25-2006, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JJonJon
And no one cares. Anyway i go riding with Foreman's AC 500, Grizz's and a Kodiak 400 and what you're talking about is not true. Its not that hard to get my machine out of being stuck.. at all. Just as easy as it was when i had my rancher. So please quit making it sound MUCH worse than it is.
'27 ITP 589 M/S Tires
on ITP Type 5 Wheels
3000 lb. Warn Winch
3-Way Headlight Mod
High Lifter Lift Kit

Sold
sorry, i didn't mean to ofend you in any way. What i meant to say is that in my experiece, whether it be quads, snowmobiles, trucks or anything else, when you have the capability to go further, higher and deeper you always push your machine that much more. Everybody does it, again thats half the fun. And when you do push your machine, any machine, past its limits and you do get stuck, with the bigger machines you tend to get more stuck because the limits are that much higher.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Very true, you didnt offend me, i just hate it when some people brag about how "their brand" won at the mud national's knowing good and well that everyone of those machines half like 5 inches of lift and 29.5 Outlaws haha.. but yeah, you copied and pasted what i said from 2 different statements..
'27 ITP 589 M/S Tires
on ITP Type 5 Wheels
3000 lb. Warn Winch
3-Way Headlight Mod
High Lifter Lift Kit

Sold