Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

cvt vs, manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cvt vs, manual

we have a polaris 500 autop a bear tracker 5 speed and i am about to get a big bear 5 speed... had a hard time deciding on atuo or 5 speed but the five speed i decided is less maintance... and much better in water!! if you do snorkle only one thing to snorkle not 3! but on the other hand the auto is nice when just cruising...

Old 12-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default cvt vs, manual

i guess a good way to sum it up and end it, is everyone has thier favorits and i dont think we'll be trading for a differnt tranny. happy trails in what we drive.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default cvt vs, manual

Ive had both, like both, but will never buy a manual again. The auto, in my opinion, has to many advantages over a manual

Old 12-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cvt vs, manual

I have used both and I slightly prefer the autos over the manuals. But, I would like to see the autos have duel range for the reverse. There are times when I can't use my low range b/c of the direction my quad is sitting when pulling a rider out who is in front of me. It would be nice to have the auto tranny equiped with a low range in this situation.

A friend has an arctic cat 500 (about 2000 model) that is manual with low range. When he goes into reverse, he can use the low range as well, which is real nice for pulling backwards.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default cvt vs, manual

Haven't had a manual in over 20 years. I don't think I miss it. Love the auto. Don't have to search (lazy?), just have to drop it in low occasionally if it gets steep or deep, and go. Buddy loves his AC with HI/LO. Like having 1 less thing to worry about on the trail.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!
Default cvt vs, manual

I love my Auto on my Kodiak, but when I feel like shifting I go jump on my 450R. After a short ride it makes me really appreciate the Auto.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default cvt vs, manual

Well I have never thought of it as something more to worry about but more of something to have fun with. But i guess I like my gears, probably always will kinda like there are people out there that you will probably never find them driving an aoutomatic vehicle eithier.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default cvt vs, manual

I've had and have both. I must admit I now prefer automatics. Shifting is just a pain. What I do like is the ability of the manual to take abuse like water and mud that a CVT has trouble with and the control you can get with a manual by selecting gears. What would be nice is an automatic/manual hybrid something along the lines of the Honda units but more durable and versatile with low ranges. For now though when I buy a new ATV I wouldn't buy a manual. It would be an auto. Easier to ride and safer in many circumstances. A few drawbacks to live with but the benefits far outweigh any liabilities. I know when I'm on my manual ATVs I find my self thinking "this shifting is annoying" or 'I reallly miss the CVT on the other ATV."

Old 12-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default cvt vs, manual

add another curve to the mix. how many of you that love the man. have a clutch to pull along w/ the shifter. i know in yrs past(20yrs ago) whn i had my 230 quad sport i loved it for running in the pits w/ but the minute you hit the rough and muddy stuff it really sucked tring to wear out your clutch and hand trying to keep it going. another reason there is a certain atv for certain areas.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default cvt vs, manual

I have both at the same time. I can choose either with the flick of a switch. Gotta love technology. It will be a good thing when the rest of the auto ATVs get the latest in CVT technology.

But let's face it, quads and autos just bring more into the sport of ORVing. Now just about anyone can ride, talent or not. No balance, shifting, or braking ability needed. A 120lb weakling can go out and buy a vtwin and hang with the 'tough' guys.

Too bad it isn't paying off with more lands being opened. Unfortunately more people means more trying to ruin it for the rest of us.

Quick Reply: cvt vs, manual