Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

rhino plow

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006 | 09:11 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default rhino plow

Hi guys,
I am new to the message board scene so forgive me if I mess up. I have an 06 Rhino 450 and I want to put a snow plow on it. There seems to be a lot of options with the setup. I don't have a winch yet but I plan on getting one as apposed to the lift motor. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 12-04-2006 | 09:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default rhino plow

I think you are way ahead of the folks that come on and say something to the effect of "I just bought brand X plow and want to know what you think". Thats what I think.

Never been around a Rhino so can't give you any advice except do a LOT of research prior to spending any money. If at all possible take a look at some rigs like yours that are plow equipped and talk with the people that have used them and abused them. Talk is cheap and mistakes are expensive.

I have a Swisher plow and bucket on my Prairie and am very satisfied with the equipment and the Company. Many good plows out there and some real junk.

By the way, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Welcome to the forum. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2006 | 09:57 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default rhino plow

I have seen the swisher plow and bucket. The place that had them only had a 48" wich is too narrow for a rhino. otherwise it seemed well built. At least to my limited knowlege. The bucket realy appealed to me do you use it much?
Thanks

Old 12-04-2006 | 10:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default rhino plow

I have a 60" Moose county plow on my Kodiak 450. It plows great. I would think on your Rhino it would be even better because the Rhino is heavier then my Kodiak. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Old 12-04-2006 | 10:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default rhino plow

Originally posted by: phillip380
I have seen the swisher plow and bucket. The place that had them only had a 48" wich is too narrow for a rhino. otherwise it seemed well built. At least to my limited knowlege. The bucket realy appealed to me do you use it much?
Thanks
If you go to the Swisher web site you will find a complete list of what they offer. Not cheap stuff but built to last. I believe they have wider plows but don't know if they offer a kit for the Rhino. I bought mine thru Cabela's as they had the best delivered price when shipping and all was figured in.

As to usage. Done very little snow plowing as where our farm is we tend to get either very little or a bunch that blows into hard packed drifts. We find a Cat with a blade works for that. It has been used to clear walks and such and seems to work well. What it has been used for a lot is filling in behind a trencher when laying pipe. Both the bucket and the plow have been used to the maximum the Prairie 360 can do. If the Swisher system wasn't built tuff it would have failed long ago. The bucket is not something you are going to fill a pickup with as the lift height is very limited. Think more along the lines of moving this sand from here to their type of thing. Having a couple of little ramps to run the front wheels up on allows me to dump into a really low slung trailer I built to move loads of stuff from one place to another. It's built so I can dump it using the Quad's power and the bucket to tip the trailer over. Rube Goldberg setup but it works.

Old 12-06-2006 | 06:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default rhino plow

Cycle country has a 72" plow for the Rhino...but being a 450 I'd recommend their 60"...but defnitely look at Moose and Swisher as well b/c I have a 48" plow for my KQ 700 and I'm not entire happy with it...it's to light mainly.

Old 12-06-2006 | 06:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default rhino plow

We've got one that was made for an Arctic Cat and fabricated some mounts to fit a Rhino. Works great. MotoXoutlet has some great prices on plows.