Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Air Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Leak

I just mounted a new front tire and there is air leakin from all around the bead
i was wondering wat could be causing this and some solutions
thanks

Old 12-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Air Leak

i know in the past i've had to either use slime to stop the leaks or maybe take some rtv silcone when i mounted it to seal the bead.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Range Rover
Default Air Leak

-
Your bead is leaking for one of three reasons: You have bent rims, you have a screwed up/chipped up tire, or you have dirt/rust between the rim and tire. You should not need Slime for this purpose if the tire is mounted correctly.

Probably the reason is dirt or rust. If so, then loosen the tire from the bead and clean it well with a stiff brush and sandpaper (if necessary). Silicone will work, but it's hard to remove when you put on your next tires, plus you still may have the mud/rust there.

GJRonK

Old 12-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default Air Leak

i'd slime it! should fix the leak and prevent future leaks... Hay can't hurt!

Old 12-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Trailblazer
Default Air Leak

yea i bought some slime and im gonna give that a whirl
so ill see what happens

Old 12-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Air Leak

Originally posted by: GJRonK
-
Your bead is leaking for one of three reasons: You have bent rims, you have a screwed up/chipped up tire, or you have dirt/rust between the rim and tire. You should not need Slime for this purpose if the tire is mounted correctly.

Probably the reason is dirt or rust. If so, then loosen the tire from the bead and clean it well with a stiff brush and sandpaper (if necessary). Silicone will work, but it's hard to remove when you put on your next tires, plus you still may have the mud/rust there.

GJRonK
this is all true but i look at it from a not having any problems for a while w/ this tire and not changing it for a while. ive had very good luck w/ both of these methods. it is true that slimming is a messy job when you go to change to the next tire, but the piece of mind is worth it to me.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Range Rover
Default Air Leak

-
Of course what I said is all true! Slime is NOT designed to seal leaks in rims and will likely do a poor job of that. I mentioned the reasons for the rim leak (which is probably rust left in patches on the rim with the rest of the rust coming off with the old tire when it was removed) and stand by my statement. Now if someone wants to do a half way job, then be lazy, don't break the rim, just fart around with the Slime.

Slime is designed to work primarily on the tread portion of a section of tire and form a liner as the tire is rotated. I use it myself, but for tread punctures/leaks.

GJRonK

Old 12-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default Air Leak

Gotta agree with GJRonK on this. I suspect you may be able to get a seal with Slime while the machine is static without cleaning the rim. I suspect you will end up with a flat on the trail as the rust and/or dirt allows the bead to work around on the wheel while riding.

You will probably be way better off to do it right the first time by cleaning up the rim and tire then adding the Slime after you have the tire re-seated on the rim.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:10 AM
Range Rover
Default Air Leak

Put a tube in it. Yes, they do make tubes for ATV's. I got a flat on my DS and spent $15 on getting a tube put in and never had another problem.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default Air Leak

If it is freezing temps there. I would bet the bead sealer is froze.Bring them indoors and see if it stops. If it does let the air out. push down on the bead and see if you can use a hair dryer to dry it out. Happens all the time when tires are mounted in the winter.

Quick Reply: Air Leak