Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Glove type handguards

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glove type handguards

if i get these....should i get the ones that have the open slot or completely closed? ill be getting them to keep the wind off, to keep my hands warm (already have heated grips but my hands still get cold lol) , and to keep water splahes off.....my main concern is the water splashes and the open slot..... if i do a big splah with the open slots, will my hands still get wet?

Old 12-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

I think they're so crappy, I'd give you the pair I have for free if ya lived near me... You're better off getting the hand guards and buying a nice pair of waterproof ski gloves... (about $50 or so for a decent pair) to keep your hands warm and dry... Those Walmart specials just don't cut it...

Old 12-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JeffinTD
My last ride was in the 20's and even with super-insulated hunting gloves my hands would get cold when we were on more open (high speed) trails.

I just finished installing Maier handguards. I think they will block just enough wind at high speed.

I like that they are made to fit specific models, shaped to fit around the master cylinder and controls, and that they mount by bolting to custom lever pivots... Downside I suppose is that they aren't cheap.
Hunting gloves aren't made for high speed wind resistance... I thought the same thing u probably did... They keep your hands warm when you're out there sitting in the cold... they should do just fine... A $10 pair of gloves from Walmart did a better job then the "super insulated" hunting gloves that I tried...

Old 12-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Actually, I have a pair of leather thinsulate winter motorcycle gloves that I've used, too, and they didn't do much better... but the insulation isn't as thick as my hunting gloves.

I think you have a point, though, in that the camo fabric on my gloves probably doesn't block the wind well. If the handguards don't help enough, maybe I'll look into some snowmobile gloves (super-insulated and designed for the wind blast).

Thanks for the tip.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

i love my mitts ... with them and grip heaters i can ride with my summer riding gloves in temps down to 10degs. Below that i need winter gloves.

They also help keep your hands dry in wet snowy conditions.