Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Polaris AWD system rant

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris AWD system rant

Polaris's are death traps going down hill I should know I owned four of them. They would not be so dangerous if they had a split braking.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:19 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally posted by: brpbear
Polaris's are death traps going down hill I should know I owned four of them. They would not be so dangerous if they had a split braking.
So is it the bike fault or yours? I guess the hills in Northern Ontario Canada must just be so easy I never notice this death trap thing going down them.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Even going down hills on a KX 250 motocross with only "ONE" rear wheel engine braking seemed like no big deal.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TLC
So is it the bike fault or yours? I guess the hills in Northern Ontario Canada must just be so easy I never notice this death trap thing going down them.

Even going down hills on a KX 250 motocross with only "ONE" rear wheel engine braking seemed like no big deal.
Sounds to me like you need to come out west where their are some real hills. On a real hill the only safe way to come down is to hold the brake and give them gas at the same time how safe is that.I did not mined that when they had some performance but when the Vee twins started going by who wants to ride something that's unsafe.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't really found the whole death trap thing either. I'm kinda curious though brpbear, if you felt it was a deathrap, then why did you buy that brand four times? Yeah...I know. Because it was the fastest thing at the time. I remember from a prior similar thread. However, if it was truly a deathtrap, you wouldn't have done it.

You also had them break down constantly, but you still bought all four. Also because they were the fastest out there.

If somebody will just supply me with a hot real bright lamp, I'll start grilling him for the truth [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

To each their own. I live in the west and ride in the moutains. And I'm actually getting ready to purcahse another popo. Maybe. Haven't decided for sure. It will be either another popo or a kingquad. I was going to do the girzz until I heard about the boiling gas and the cold start problems.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 800TwinEFI
I haven't really found the whole death trap thing either. I'm kinda curious though brpbear, if you felt it was a deathrap, then why did you buy that brand four times? Yeah...I know. Because it was the fastest thing at the time. I remember from a prior similar thread. However, if it was truly a deathtrap, you wouldn't have done it.

You also had them break down constantly, but you still bought all four. Also because they were the fastest out there.

If somebody will just supply me with a hot real bright lamp, I'll start grilling him for the truth [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

To each their own. I live in the west and ride in the moutains. And I'm actually getting ready to purcahse another popo. Maybe. Haven't decided for sure. It will be either another popo or a kingquad. I was going to do the girzz until I heard about the boiling gas and the cold start problems.
I have a 06 outty with 5200miles that I'm real happy with.If you have a 06 Polaris that has less miles and you want to trade it. You answered the reliability question your self.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
I ride a Polaris every day and I find the AWD system ok but annoying. I can feel the slip as it engages. It is really noticeable as I am picking my way though slippery woods trails and logs and situations like that. It doesn't necessarily cause a performance problem but I do find it annoying. After living with it for a while I think I prefer a standard locking front differential. I definitely prefer a standard system for descending hills. I really don't like the 2 wheel engine braking. The people I've talked to aren't thrilled with the new 4 wheel system on the high end Sportsmans either. I haven't rode the new active decent control models enough to really give it a work out on steep trails but all I can say so far is that it is better than it was. The old models were downright frightening to ride on steep hills.

As far as the Can-Am visco-lok as much as Can-Am would like to tout it as the end all - it isn't. The more I rode it the more I realized it. It works ok but having to constantly spin the front wheels to lock the front differential makes for a problematic ride. It has its good points. It is an excellent mode for a lot of riding situations. However, there are far too many situations like slow speed trail riding through the woods where you are crossing logs or you are negotiating very rough terrain you simply can't be winding up the front differential over and over to lock the front differential. It can be downright dangerous sometimes. Can-Am desperately needs to have an over ride switch to allow the rider to manually lock the front differential. Other than that the Can-Am is a truly outstanding machine. The front differential cripples it. For my purposes anyway.
im with you on both sides. the poo's need to have a better locking into 4x4 cuz they sure don't descend hills like the others. can am you put in 4x4 and Low and let off the throttle on a steep downhill your likley to endo vs the poo you just slide. it can get spooky on steep slippery hills till ya learn the throttle and brakes at the same time on downhills.

The Visco lock defintaly would be allot better with a manual overide. it would be the best system out there if that was the case.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: TLC

Sounds to me like you need to come out west where their are some real hills. On a real hill the only safe way to come down is to hold the brake and give them gas at the same time how safe is that.I did not mined that when they had some performance but when the Vee twins started going by who wants to ride something that's unsafe.
LMAO [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Aint that the truth [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 800TwinEFI

I have a 06 outty with 5200miles that I'm real happy with.If you have a 06 Polaris that has less miles and you want to trade it. You answered the reliability question your self.
LOL...like I didn't see you trying to work that angle before you even replied?

The reason I want to get a new machine (I'm going to to trade in the 450) is simply power. The wife is ready for something with a bit more zing. She has been riding mine a bit lately and after doing so, found the 450 not up to snuff.

And like I said, I may very well trade it in for another 800 Sportsman. That is a very good possiblity. I don't have the miles you do, but I have been real happy with mine. Matter of fact, had a 2000 325 Polaris Trailboss that I sold to some friends and it still runs great and they have never had any problems either. I like Suzuki and Yammy and Kawi too...so I may do one of those. I'm not a blind brand loyalist. At least not unless we are talking Cummins. Then I am [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

You wouldn't be the first one who was smart enough to leave.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

Well I'm sorry you have had such bad luck Bruce and it's great the Outty is working out for you. For what they cost, they better. For me, a Quad just isn't worth $11k. I don't want to owe on the new one. I want to pay it off. My popo has been good to me. Been abused to. It's not just a toy. Mine gets put to work. On a regular basis. Matter of fact, I think the Sportsman has the most towing capacity of any quad out there.

I'd buy another. And if we come down to it, I bet the Honda is the most reliable of all. But I'm not about to go out and buy one.

Most likely will be either a Grizzly, a popo or a Suzuki. More likely the Grizz or popo.

Quick Reply: Polaris AWD system rant